Page 1 of 1

Car camper...caramper?

Posted: 12 Jan 2019, 16:16
by sparerib
Intending to reduce the nights spent sleeping on the ground, and after kipping very comfortably in the truck bed of my old Ranger on some foam sheets covered in an A frame and tarp, thoughts turned to adapting the back of the new whip to convert into a car-camper..... tail gate awning purchased.
Kampa_Travel_Pod.JPG
Tailgate tent first erection
A quick flash of a blade has the mattress tailored to fit
Boot_Bed.jpg
Bed Sorted


Thoughts then turned to better organising the interior rather than having a collection of boxes/bags etc.
IMG_6932.JPG
initial box building
IMG_6934.JPG
Taking shape
IMG_6937.JPG
Bed_Box.JPG
Starting to trim


So the finished article, is light enough to pick up by one person, has two internal storage bins, a cubby hole for "things", a rear accessed bin for all the cooking gear above the twin burner stove. A cup/can holder, chopping board, 230v hook up with double pole 16A CB, Two 13amp sockets with two usb points, will add a 12v transformer eventually for some led lights.
IMG_6943.JPG

230v_HookUp.JPG
230v Hook Up
IMG_6944.JPG
cooker in bacon mode
All made from one sheet of 6mm pdf, 12m of 15x21mm pine, hundreds of screws some glue, 3sqm of car carpet and a bit of head scratching :D.....Gets its first outing this week at a winter car meet in Derbyshire, luxury I tell you pure :lol: :lol: Luxury

Re: Car camper...caramper?

Posted: 12 Jan 2019, 16:59
by ChrisParish
Excellent! I love some creative DIY!

Re: Car camper...caramper?

Posted: 12 Jan 2019, 17:11
by Andy
Wow ! Thats what I call being busy !

Re: Car camper...caramper?

Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 00:33
by Martin
Great Stuff, DIY mods rule !!! :thumbsup
Do i see a little "Gurnard Style" inspired conversion in the making there ?

I'm hoping at some point in the next year or so to swap my Pick-Up too, I've got a thing for the transit customs at the moment :lol:
If it does happen, I'll be following suit (Hopefully :? )

Martin

Re: Car camper...caramper?

Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 14:45
by Shaun
Awesome, ive been sleeping in the back of my Amarok for years. I go camping loads and purchased a tailgate tent some years back. Makes camping soooo much nicer, and i can just detach, hook the trailer and off i go boating.

Upload a pic later if i remember.

Re: Car camper...caramper?

Posted: 15 Jan 2019, 10:03
by sparerib
Shaun wrote: ↑
14 Jan 2019, 14:45
Awesome, ive been sleeping in the back of my Amarok for years. I go camping loads and purchased a tailgate tent some years back. Makes camping soooo much nicer, and i can just detach, hook the trailer and off i go boating.

Upload a pic later if i remember.
Thats the plan! :D

Re: Car camper...caramper?

Posted: 21 Jan 2019, 18:18
by sparerib
IMG_6960.JPG
IMG_6962.JPG
A quick update following two days camping in the snow....there was snow honest...

This addition to the in car camping set up is well worth it, gives 3m x 2m of space, very easy to put up, and was totally waterproof.

3 bungees to undo on each side and a zip up and you can drive away, leaving it standing awaiting your return, reverse the processing you have a great space to cook, sit, change, dry off etc. I had for the first time camping an electrical hook up, ran a 3 kw heater, set to less than half power and was toast all through the night with the boot open.... :D