Page 1 of 1
T38 Transom Wheels
Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 19:27
by Ian 71
Any advice on fitting a pair of launching wheels to a Honwave T38?
I only bought the 100kg cheaper ones, as it only goes down a concrete slipway a couple of times a year with a 10 HP on it, so won’t be pulling it over a rocky beach.
There are no fitting instructions with the wheels, so I don’t want to drill in the wrong place. I read something recently about a Honwave for sale going cheap, As the guy had fitted these in the wrong place, it really can’t be that hard can it?
Re: T38 Transom Wheels
Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 19:44
by ChrisParish
Assuming it is the airfloor version it is fairly easy, just take your time.
Inflate the boat and place something under the transom to allow you to experiment with the exact position of the wheels.
Experiment with placing the wheels - you want them as low as possible so you can get the outboard into the down position and as far out as possible. This is all determined by the position of the wheels in the “up” position as they should fit snuggly against the tubes.
When you think you have figured out where to put the brackets stick them on with double sided tape and make sure that the wheels fit nicely in the up and down position.
It is worth making sure that the bolts won’t go through the information plate bolted to the inside of th transom.
Once you are sure of the position then drill the holes. Go slow - low rpm and a sharp drill, feel for when it is about to break through the other side and let the pressure off so that it breaks through cleanly.
Use some marine grade sealant to seal around the holes and anywhere water might get between the plates and the transom.
On mine the bottom two holes have to pass through the PVC as well as the transom.
If in doubt just experiment - provided the wheels are snug against the tubes in the “up” position and as low and wide as possible in the “down” position then they will be fine.
Any problems, just post some pictures.
I think The Hobbit May have some pictures where you can clearly see how his wheels are mounted. I don’t have any of mine but I can take some if needs be.
Re: T38 Transom Wheels
Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 20:29
by Paul B
As Chris says, they are pretty easy to do, just take your time , and make sure you use some decent marine grade sealer
Re: T38 Transom Wheels
Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 20:57
by The Hobbit
I have Chris and I shall show it below.
Re: T38 Transom Wheels
Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 21:02
by The Hobbit
Very important point....... Secure from the inside outwards so that any protuding bolts are away from the air floor when you pack it away. I also put foam over the studs before I fold it up.
Re: T38 Transom Wheels
Posted: 13 Aug 2018, 22:55
by Mitch
Use stainless domed nuts, that way no sharp edges
Re: T38 Transom Wheels
Posted: 03 Sep 2018, 19:46
by Ian 71
Thanks for all the reply’s. Fitted easily and worked fine down at Fowey last week, apart from taking them out. The 1 x pin decided it was staying put, so we had to fold it up best as we could and stuff if in the boot of the car with 1x leg still attached.
1 angle grinder later, all sorted. Just need to sort out some new pins for next time now.