Page 1 of 1

Outboard stand from a sack truck.

Posted: 24 Jun 2018, 14:53
by ChrisParish
Having. Just bought a new engine I needed to make a stand for it. My existing stand still has my old engine on it and quite frankly I wanted something with wheels on as the new engine weighs twice what the old one did and I can’t park anywhere close to my shed!

So down to Screwfix I went and bought one of these for £25 and a few bolts.
0324E1C0-DF7F-41D8-960F-B8EABF1E3FC2.jpeg
I had to cut the top part of the back off so that the outboard was a little lower on the stand so as to lower the c of g and hence increase stability. My trusty angle grinder made light work of the puny steel! :Boxsmile

A few holes, a lump or wood or four and some bolts, washers and nuts later I now have a complete and function outboard stand / trolly.
C0DB4623-1F56-439C-AFA3-39D7F11CB5EC.jpeg
The great thing is, because I load the engine into the car first I can then go back and use the trolly to move the boat! :thumbsup

All in all, I call that a success.
:yay

Re: Outboard stand from a sack truck.

Posted: 24 Jun 2018, 20:28
by pritch
I did the same but built up the base so the lower unit just sits on it taking some of the weight.
It was much more sturdy and stopped any flexing.

Re: Outboard stand from a sack truck.

Posted: 24 Jun 2018, 20:38
by ChrisParish
Mine seems pretty solid at the moment, but I like your idea and will implement it if needed.

Thanks!

Re: Outboard stand from a sack truck.

Posted: 24 Jun 2018, 21:28
by Paul
Love seeing/reading about these mods owners carry out :thumbsup
Making things easier to use your boat means you'll enjoy and use it more often :clappy
:cheers

Re: Outboard stand from a sack truck.

Posted: 25 Jun 2018, 07:58
by Steve
Paul wrote: ↑
24 Jun 2018, 21:28
Love seeing/reading about these mods owners carry out :thumbsup
Making things easier to use your boat means you'll enjoy and use it more often :clappy
:cheers
Me too Paul - and great to get ideas for improvements to our boating lives...

Well done Chris, that looks like an ace outboard trolley :thumbsup

Re: Outboard stand from a sack truck.

Posted: 23 Jan 2022, 07:29
by bun
got the same type and going to use a water butt to clean the salt out of the engine ,well when i get it going sibs new still in the bag heh

Re: Outboard stand from a sack truck.

Posted: 23 Jan 2022, 12:42
by CRF999
now you just have to work out a detachable hook / front of boat mount to work in tandem with the rear wheels and save your arm ache / back when recovering the boat.

you know it makes sense.
although i need to redesign mine to make it better still.

well done and good luck when you get out.

Clive

Re: Outboard stand from a sack truck.

Posted: 16 Jun 2022, 12:09
by Stiggolas
20220612_171118.jpg
Fairly new to this boating lark, not had mine on the water yet but stole the sack barrow idea for storage / transport, cheers.

Marcus

Re: Outboard stand from a sack truck.

Posted: 16 Jun 2022, 17:03
by harrison
Nice!
Just can’t beat a good ‘ole sack truck conversion. :thumbsup

Re: Outboard stand from a sack truck.

Posted: 29 Oct 2022, 17:10
by bun
nice one