Page 1 of 1
Launch wheels for a roundtail Avon?
Posted: 17 May 2018, 19:14
by marky0283
Hi all,
Some of you know I am doing up an old Avon Redshank from the 70's. One of the things I wanted to do was to fit some launching wheels or at least make some sort of device I can use to make moving it to the water easier. Because the boat is a roundtail design with a removable engine mount and no permanent transom I am not sure how to go about this.
Anybody got any ideas?

Re: Launch wheels for a roundtail Avon?
Posted: 17 May 2018, 21:47
by Cliff
I reckon you are looking at a launch trolley, or knock up something like this with straps.
Re: Launch wheels for a roundtail Avon?
Posted: 18 May 2018, 10:12
by marky0283
Bit like a kayak dolly to put underneath and straps around the boat? Will get me to the waters edge at least so not a bad idea :-)
Re: Launch wheels for a roundtail Avon?
Posted: 21 May 2018, 22:17
by Paul
Yup as above, either will suit your needs
The larger/wider the wheels the better for all surfaces during launching

Re: Launch wheels for a roundtail Avon?
Posted: 21 Jul 2018, 20:51
by nala
The kayak trolley is a good idea all depends on length and weight of your set up ie engine and boat etc
You have to ensure the straps are secure to bow and stern as well as circumferentially around the boat .
Just where the trolley is sited , will work great on slipways hard and flat areas for launching .
On any other surface it will struggle to work .If you had a beam all the way to the bow attached to it to control I think it would work.
There are folding launch trolleys , like a proper trailer but for launching only .
I have a jet ski road trailer to transport to launch but will invest in the swan neck "honwave" type wheels.
This will allow me to put the boat in last couple of mtrs with the launch trolley.
Saving the road trailer from the effects of the sea.