Bow lifter

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Mitch England
Veteran Member
Posts: 575
Joined: 16 May 2017, 16:31
Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Swindon
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Bow lifter

Post by Mitch » 31 Mar 2018, 09:30

Was thinking of making one of these to help me when i'm solo & the boat is full up as at the moment I have to take a lot of the stuff out of the boat to be able to lift it & pull up a slip way.
Has anyone every used one & if so was it worth it.
image-1400-933-2473-r.jpg

pritch
Advanced Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 10 Aug 2017, 21:51
Boat Make: BISON 390
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Staffordshire
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Bow lifter

Post by pritch » 31 Mar 2018, 13:02

I made a body harness which works a treat and I can leave it inside the boat.
20180324_093523.jpg
edit -image orientation
These users thanked the author pritch for the post:
Mitch (31 Mar 2018, 15:20)

Mitch England
Veteran Member
Posts: 575
Joined: 16 May 2017, 16:31
Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Swindon
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Bow lifter

Post by Mitch » 31 Mar 2018, 15:20

That could work, I’ve got some straps somewhere & it’s easy to knock up. Cheers pritch.

PeterM
Super Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 14:53
Location: Bournemouth & Poole
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Bow lifter

Post by PeterM » 31 Mar 2018, 15:31

I used to struggle as I used to use my sib as fuel tanker with 75l of petrol for main boat - sliding everything rib the back helps the wheels take the bulk of the weight.

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Bow lifter

Post by Paul » 31 Mar 2018, 21:41

PeterM wrote:I used to struggle as I used to use my sib as fuel tanker with 75l of petrol for main boat - sliding everything rib the back helps the wheels take the bulk of the weight.
+1 :thumbsup
As Pete says, put everything to the rear (over the axel) and when 'deployed' place your gear where required ;-)

Mitch England
Veteran Member
Posts: 575
Joined: 16 May 2017, 16:31
Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Swindon
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Bow lifter

Post by Mitch » 18 Jun 2018, 10:18

I tried putting everything in the back over the wheels but you’ve still got to lift & pull at the same time, for a bloke that does virtually no excercise it’s still not easy so thought I’d make this up.
As some of the guys on here can testify when fully loaded for fishing or boating with camping gear etc it’s heavy, it took 3 of us to lift out of the water & pull up the slips down south & at Oban & I need to be able to do it on my own.
It cost me a couple of wheels, a few bolts & an afternoon, less than £30. I looked at the bought ones & found they aren’t that good as they’re made of light weight tubing & can bend or break plus they are very expensive. This is solid & it ain’t gonna bend or break plus it can be adjusted height wise.
Attachments
08E15FF6-98A3-450D-BBB3-B95C9FFC2971.jpeg
E013E6B2-F3C8-4A9D-BF55-E8516038EB96.jpeg
Last edited by The Hobbit on 17 Sep 2018, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rotated Pictures

User avatar
Steve Great Britain
Veteran Member
Posts: 336
Joined: 25 Apr 2017, 11:12
Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: Suzuki DF20AS
Yamaha F6CMHS
MMSI Number: 235902190
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Bow lifter

Post by Steve » 18 Jun 2018, 14:29

Nice one Mitch - that looks great!

I really need to learn how to weld as I'd love to be able to fabricate some 'gadgets' like this...

:cheers

Mitch England
Veteran Member
Posts: 575
Joined: 16 May 2017, 16:31
Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Swindon
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Bow lifter

Post by Mitch » 18 Jun 2018, 16:12

Cheers Steve, it’s not difficult & you can get a mig off eBay, gumtree or Facebook market well cheap

digitalman Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 08:00
Boat Make: Honwave 3M
Outboard: Mariner/Yamaha 8hp 2 Stroke
Yamaha 15hp 2 Stroke
MMSI Number: 235911260
Location: Uckfield
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Bow lifter

Post by digitalman » 16 Sep 2018, 23:41

Mitch approximately how tall is your lifter from the bottom of the wheels to the bottom of the hook please?

Mitch England
Veteran Member
Posts: 575
Joined: 16 May 2017, 16:31
Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Swindon
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Bow lifter

Post by Mitch » 17 Sep 2018, 01:12

Sorry digital man can’t do it at the moment as I’m in America for a few weeks but will check when I get home at the end of the month. The bar that the hook is welded to is a threaded bar which screws into a 25mm nut so it can be lowered or highered + it allows the boat to be turned easily as the bar will turn in the nut.
These users thanked the author Mitch for the post:
digitalman (17 Sep 2018, 07:20)

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”