Page 1 of 2

Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Posted: 11 Nov 2017, 17:16
by mattswan2512
As in the title what have you guys used? I dont wanna use tarp i want a decent waterproof fabric. Any suggestions.

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Posted: 11 Nov 2017, 17:51
by Paul B
I would say you want something on these lines Matt, I believe this is similar to what Martins made his out of and it’s what a lot of boat covers are made from

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-W ... Qz_PVfJoXQ

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Posted: 11 Nov 2017, 18:00
by Jeff Stevens 763
Why not buy a cheep tent it will have a 2000 MM static head and just waterproof it now and then more material than you will need easy th stitch etc

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Posted: 11 Nov 2017, 19:00
by mattswan2512
Okay cool and what length tent pole have u all used? The beam of my boat is 1650mm but it wont be the full width as its towards the front so im reckoning a 2m pole perhaps?

Or get one of those sectional poles and cut to length?

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Posted: 11 Nov 2017, 19:50
by Paul B
The dodger I have from Martin did have a 2 piece pole, but I made a new 1 piece one which keeps a nicer curve, as I found the old one didn’t keep a good curve and over time it had started to splinter at the joint

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Posted: 11 Nov 2017, 22:20
by Martin
Yup, bang on Paul.. Thats the material i use.
The poles i already had Matt, but you can buy 6-8mm poles on ebay.

I have a 3 section fold up pole for storage ease. Paul B has made a single pole which keeps the arch perfect but has no stow away possibilities... Its a case of make it to suit your needs.

The material is heavy weight stuff, it wont rip easy at all and has been fully waterproof to date. Best sewn with a machine, but do buy some heavy weight needles. I think i used 100/16 needles in my machine.

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Posted: 11 Nov 2017, 22:42
by mattswan2512
Im good on the sowing front as my aunt is a manageress of an upholsterers so i get the stuff she will do her magic.
So an 8mm 3 peice flexi pole will be aboot right then? Im gunna order 3m by 1.5m material. Does that sound about right martin?

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Posted: 11 Nov 2017, 22:55
by Martin
mattswan2512 wrote:Im good on the sowing front as my aunt is a manageress of an upholsterers so i get the stuff she will do her magic.
So an 8mm 3 peice flexi pole will be aboot right then? Im gunna order 3m by 1.5m material. Does that sound about right martin?
I think the material is set at 1.5m width isn't it?
My cover uses the full width. Length would depend on how far back you want the dodger tbh buddy.

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Posted: 11 Nov 2017, 23:32
by Paul B
You might find the 8mm poles a bit overkill Matt, difficult to bend over such a short span, mine are 6mm and bend just nicely, the 8mm might break to easily as they aren’t meant to bend such amount over a short distance

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Posted: 12 Nov 2017, 00:08
by kaman
Yup gotta agree with Paulb there Matt.
The thicker poles don't like bending within the the confides of a Sib's beam - they do like to split.
It's worth carrying a spare tent pole section should one snap. ;-)
I'm gonna be rattling together a tarp dodger. - for the T3.8.
As I've a Lowrance Hook 5 plotter / finder coming from Santa I'm gonna extend the dodger rearwards on the T3.8 back to the seat so as to keep the spray off of the Lowrance unit which I'll mount to the sib seat
I can certainly vouch for the quality of the fabric used in the dodger Martin made for the T3.8 it's heavy duty for sure.
As I'm a tight Scottish git I'll be using a bit of tarp for my latest dodger.
I'm going to mount the latest dodger it to the wooden bracket I screwed to the seat :drive
20170919_132949.jpg