auxiliary engine

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
Tellum Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 99
Joined: 29 May 2017, 08:39
Boat Make: mercury 420 ocean runner
Outboard: 30hp four-stroke tohatso
MMSI Number: 235904012
Location: Cornwall - U.K
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 18 times

auxiliary engine

Post by Tellum » 17 Aug 2017, 14:05

Hi all,toying with the idea of having a backup engine on my t40. I am running a 20hp 4 stroke at the moment ,about 54 kilo. The transom limit is 86 kilo so it would take the weight of a small outboard but is there enough room for it on the transom? Anyone running two outboards on there t40 transom.

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: auxiliary engine

Post by Andy B » 17 Aug 2017, 18:12

I can't comment on the T40, but if you are looking for a small, light, streamline OB for an aux then there's only really 2 options.
The Mariner 3.3hp or the Tohatsu 3.5hp.
Both two strokes and both getting harder to find by the day!
I know i wouldn't part with mine......
Mariner 3.3 HP Outboard Motor Two Stroke-500x500.jpg
3.5A_hp.jpg

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: auxiliary engine

Post by harrison » 17 Aug 2017, 19:07

Should be enough room on a T40 transom. We ran a little 2.3 Honda aux on both 3.5 Zodiac/3.8 Aerotec for longer coastal/island hopping outings and both narrower transom than a T40.
IMG_3498.JPG
Little Honda pushed boat along at around 6 knots, weighed only 13kg, 4 stroke and air cooled so no flushing needed after use.
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

Tellum Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 99
Joined: 29 May 2017, 08:39
Boat Make: mercury 420 ocean runner
Outboard: 30hp four-stroke tohatso
MMSI Number: 235904012
Location: Cornwall - U.K
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: auxiliary engine

Post by Tellum » 17 Aug 2017, 20:12

Ideal, thanks. Something else to do when I get the pennies.

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: auxiliary engine

Post by kaman » 17 Aug 2017, 22:50

I've got a little 2.2hp Suzuki 2 stroke.
It's near identical to the Tohatsu and Mariner depicted above.
Just wondered if it was indeed the same unit underneath? ?
I reckon it's more powerful than my Suzuki 2.5hp 4 stroke.
The 2.2hp is 12kg and the 2.5hp is 13.5kg.
The 2 stroke is much narrower and stands more of a chance of fitting onto tge tsansom.
Attachments
20150430_122445.jpg

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: auxiliary engine

Post by Andy B » 18 Aug 2017, 09:30

Nice comparison.
Shows the problem with newer 4 stroke motors.
They are all a lot wider than there older 2 stroke counterparts.
At this end of the hp range I don't think the weight issue is really a problem, buy as you say the 2 strokes do seem to give more umph for the hp.

The other consideration is fuel.
Depending on whether your main engine is 2 or 4 stroke?
You don't want to be carrying 2 different types of fuel...

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”