Page 1 of 2
Which type of rod holder is best
Posted: 28 Jul 2017, 19:18
by Captain cod
I am thinking about adding a couple of rod holders to my sib buy not too sure which sort to get. I think I would prefer something that is glued to the rear end of the tubes. I have kind of narrowed it down to two types but I'm open to suggestions if anyone think a different type is better
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
Posted: 28 Jul 2017, 19:41
by Martin
I have the railblaza 3m adhesive mounts, not mounted them yet though so I can't pass comment other than I'll be surprised if the 3m adhesive pads fail.
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
Posted: 29 Jul 2017, 18:58
by Andy B
Martin wrote: I'll be surprised if the 3m adhesive pads fail.
My only concern would be when the tubes warm up in the sun.
I've removed 3M pads with a hairdryer before, and i know my tubes have gotten very warm in the sun.
But then my tubes a quite dark and yours are white.
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
Posted: 29 Jul 2017, 23:29
by Captain cod
I was thinking the same thing. Thats why i was going to use the 2 part glue for hypalon. The one in the first picture is a lot cheaper than the other type. But im a bit worried incase it dosnt hold the rod Securely enough
Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
Posted: 30 Jul 2017, 06:19
by Martin
I didn't want to run the risk of leaving crappy glue marks all over the tubes if it did fail, The railblaza 3m kit allegedly removes clean with heat. It is an adhesive pad specifically for the marine world, not a general grab sticky pad.
As Andy states, i too have that little worry over the sun and the adhesion of the pad.. but on the other hand they are made and designed in new Zealand and it gets bloody hotter there than it does here

Re: Which type of rod holder is best
Posted: 30 Jul 2017, 08:32
by Andy B
Just prey you don't catch anything then
Not a problem for me

Re: Which type of rod holder is best
Posted: 30 Jul 2017, 12:08
by rogerblack
Hi
On my old Compass, which had a varnished marine ply seat, I drilled through and fixed a rod holder base to that, designed to take the type of angled rod holder shown in Captain cod's second picture.
On the Honwave, I wasn't keen to drill through the fibre glass seat so I made an attachment to fix to it using a couple of wing nuts:

- Rod holder base
This can fitted at either end and with the holder facing for'ard or abaft of the seat:

- Rod holder on seat
I can also use the Quick-Fist clamps I fitted to the transom to hold an external antenna in emergency as a rod holder:

- Quick-Fist clamps on transom
And I also fitted some elasticated cords to the inner ends of the long transom bolts for the port launch wheels so that I can slot in a piece of plastic tube to act as a further simple rod holder.

Re: Which type of rod holder is best
Posted: 07 Aug 2017, 21:52
by Captain cod
My rod holders came today I'm just hoping the rain stays off tomorrow so I can fit them before I goto st ives on Saturday
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
Posted: 07 Aug 2017, 22:17
by Steve
They look great! Hope they work well...
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
Posted: 07 Aug 2017, 22:20
by James
Cool, where did you get them and how much did they cost?