Page 1 of 1

DIY transom wheels

Posted: 21 Jul 2017, 08:56
by Redlinebuzz
IMG_20170720_132411.jpg
IMG_20170720_132405.jpg
Made from one of those turntable trolleys I bought a couple of years bag, it was just sitting doing nothing, so it got attacked with an angle grinder, makes moving the very large and heavy boat alot easier ! It was rated to carry 1000kg so should be strong enough, used it twice so far at the Largs public slipway, kind of tricky fitting when the boats in the water and it's a bit choppy, but my oldest son helps or I would need to remove the tyres first.

Re: DIY transom wheels

Posted: 21 Jul 2017, 09:24
by The Gurnard
Looking good redline.. that's the type of dolly I make and use too

http://f-ribsandsibs.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1283

to make it easier to fit to the boat when on land or in water ..I have a shelf the transom sits on ..I just lift the boat..and rest it on the shelf..then I can fit the bolts that hold it on.

Glad to see you are now using the slipway ..makes life easy :thumbsup

Re: DIY transom wheels

Posted: 03 Aug 2017, 15:14
by Redlinebuzz
Thought about the shelf you have, but decided to just use the inflatable boat rollers as an inflatable jack, means I don't have to lift, tried it out proper today coming home from Asgog bay after camping form 4 days and managed to fit it while the boat was still in the water, makes getting the outboard on and off much easier when you aren't chasing it all over the ocean ! It's alot easier if I take the wheels off first, might try and find some neutral bouancy wheels somewhere.

Also attacked it with the angle grinder again to trim off the excess weight.

Only thing I did notice was having the outboard on the boat and taking it down the slipway, my feet were at the limit of adhesion on the wet concrete ! Won't make that mistake again, need to take motor separately, which is a shame because it made the front easier to lift.