Page 1 of 1

Beach Trailer upgrade

Posted: 24 Jun 2017, 19:29
by kaman
Last year I purchased a small beach launch trailer to take with me on my caravan / sib excursions.
Idea was to carry the sib and outboard in the back of the car with the back seats down, spread the remainder of the load between roof box, car and caravan.
There are a few sites that I frequent that have beach / slipways to launch the sib on the little launch trailer.
This has kinda tied me to using certain camp sites.
I thought.......what if I modified the beach trailer to tow the T3.8 on the road? :D
I have one camp site in mind.
It is one of my favourites, however it's around 3 miles from my favourite beach launching point.
I dont intend going above 30 - 40 mph.
The road is very quiet / rural.
With upgrading in mind I set about ordering some indespension units mud guards and 8 inch wheels with tyres.
(Sib not fully pressurised in pics)
20170423_122721.jpg
20170423_122749.jpg
The box section trailer is a bit on the flimsy side but I reckon it will be ok over the short distance / low speed route I have in mind.
20170624_160806.jpg

The axle bolts to existing trailer axle and separates into 2 pieces for ease of transporting.

20170624_175143.jpg

Happy days ohyeh

Re: Beach Trailer upgrade

Posted: 26 Jun 2017, 13:04
by kaman
Had been mulling over the concept of welding up the road axle for a while. A recent 5 day caravan / fishing excursion with my old man persuaded me it was a worthwhile venture as it was a real chore inflating deflating / wrestling the T3.8 in and out of the car - not to mention the sand everywhere. The beauty of the trailer is once it's built (12mins) the Sib can sit on it until the end of the excursion.
Hopefully the weather gods will be favourable this year.
Some photos of sib on its new wheels. :drive

Re: Beach Trailer upgrade

Posted: 26 Jun 2017, 22:00
by Paul
Looking good Kaman 8-)
I've the same type of collapsable/fold away launching trailer you've now modified ;-)
I've fitted a tow hitch for towing it for short distances to the water of up to half a mile at very low speeds so that the plastic/nylon wheels don't weld themselves to the metal shafts :idea:
For greater distances you've 'cracked it' for ease of use, simplicity and speed of assembly, good on you :clappy
Gotta love forums for sharing ideas :thumbsup
:cheers

Re: Beach Trailer upgrade

Posted: 27 Jun 2017, 09:46
by kaman
Howdy Paul.
The indespension units wheels and mud guards cost me 125 quid
Think the trailer itself cost around 75 quid.
All in 200 ish quid.
It does make the Sib more versatile.
Hope it will get some use this year. :drive :drive :drive