Page 1 of 1

Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Posted: 04 May 2017, 12:31
by komplexpro
Hi,

I don’t think many people use a Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap like this one
s-l1600.jpg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282425347454? ... EBIDX%3AIT

but for those who do or are considering buying one here's a less expensive alternative.
s-l1600.jpg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152466663584? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Posted: 04 May 2017, 13:22
by Paul B
I tend to not use the cord around my wrist, as it's too easy to accidentally pull the cord of just at the wrong moment, I either hook it to my lifejacket at the front flip or around my thigh.
Where do others attaché theirs :scratch

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Posted: 04 May 2017, 13:34
by Martin
Lifejacket loop for me every time. TBH it lives on there 24/7 but I do carry a spare in my "must have aboard bag" just incase I go overboard. If someone else is in the boat they will have been advised where to find it in an emergency.

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Posted: 04 May 2017, 18:00
by rogerblack
:wavey

Lifejacket loop for me too. When I'm in the Honwave sitting forward on the seat using the tiller extension I need to extend it to encompass my wide girth :shame otherwise it tends to pop out all the time as it's fairly sensitive. Using a wrist strap might be better from that point of view however I can see it getting in the way for example when fishing. I also always carry a spare kill cord but don't need to tell anyone where it's stowed as I'm always skippering solo a.k.a. billy-no-mates :lol:

In any event, my Mercury 15 hp has one of those toggle switches which will work without a kill-cord in place, but obviously I would only use that option in an emergency situation. When my old tiller extension snapped and jammed the tiller on full lock at high revs, after several 360 degree spins it was throwing myself on the floor which activated the kill cord and saved me from a dunking. :thud

:cheers

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Posted: 06 May 2017, 19:48
by Pete
The chap I bought my SIB from told me to put it round my ankle. Said it allowed more movement and left your hands free in the event of someone else on board falling over...

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Posted: 06 May 2017, 21:19
by Andy B
The officially accepted method is round the thigh.
Of course this is related to a more traditional helming position. Not really practical on a Sib.
Personally i wear mine on my throttle wrist, I find it a lot less likely to snag.
But i think the only real thing that matters is that it is worn, where it is worn is down to personal preference and individual choice.

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Posted: 06 May 2017, 23:16
by Paul
Andy B wrote: I think the only real thing that matters is that it is worn, where it is worn is down to personal preference and individual choice.
Indeed Andy :thumbsup
Wear and use one to fulfil your 'needs' :!:
:cheers

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Posted: 07 May 2017, 10:50
by Andy B
Pete wrote:The chap I bought my SIB from told me to put it round my ankle. Said it allowed more movement and left your hands free in the event of someone else on board falling over...
As a side note,
While recovering a casualty from the water the engine should be off.
So the placement of the kill core isn't important.