Page 1 of 1

What is this part called

Posted: 21 Apr 2017, 14:33
by komplexpro
Hi,

can anyone tell me what this section (7,4 & 6 combined) is used for please?
The diagram is for a Mercury 9.9 4strk outboard.
Capture.PNG
Cheers

Re: What is this part called

Posted: 21 Apr 2017, 15:58
by The Gurnard
I think I know the answer ..as its the same in most OB's :D

Part 3 is the pin or shaft that goes through the clamp assembly and allows the outboard to tilt up and down

Part 4 are the nuts that screw onto the part 3 threads to hold it in place

Part 6 is a wee metal thingie .. no idea what is called..but its there so you can fix a lanyard to the outboard to stop it falling in the water if the clamps should come undone. You tie the other end of the lanyard to the boat.

Part 7 I can only presume is end caps to protect the thread of part 3 that goes through the clamps ?.I don't have them on my outboards

I have no idea what the real names are ..but that's why they are there. If ordering them..just quote the numbers and the diagram

Hope that helps..if not I'm sure someone else will know :D

Re: What is this part called

Posted: 21 Apr 2017, 17:05
by Andy B
Part 3 is the pivot tube, which also hold the steering ram if you have the engine rigged for remote steering.
Part 7 are just cover nuts that are there to protect the threads when a steering cable isn't connected.

Re: What is this part called

Posted: 24 Apr 2017, 09:27
by komplexpro
Thank you both for the answers, :thumbsup