KeelEazy application, removal and repair.

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
User avatar
DouglasW
Advanced Member
Posts: 236
Joined: 10 Aug 2016, 18:51
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5
Location: West of Scotland
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 93 times

KeelEazy application, removal and repair.

Post by DouglasW » 04 Apr 2017, 07:59

Last year when the Good Gurnard bought his little F-RIB 275, now known as the Guppy, He asked me how kayakers protect the keels of our GRP sea kayaks on rocky beaches. So I told him about self adhesive KeelEazy strips. Little did I know then that less than two weeks later I would be taking delivery of an F-RIB 330! :) :)

So I took my own advice and applied some KeelEazy as soon as it arrived. Now the Gurnard followed the instructions and did it in the warm in his living room and warmed it with a hair drier so that the glue would soften and get a good grip. I was in such a rush that I did it outside in an April snowstorm. As a result it had started to come off where it...

Image
...gets most wear coming over the bow roller of my launching trolley.

So I thought I would just repair the unstuck section. I cut the strip with a Stanley knife well back into a section that was still stuck...

Image
...then I pulled the loose strip off.

Image
Then I warmed the remaining glue with a hair drier to soften it and removed most of it with a paint scraper.

Image
Next I cleaned the residual glue off first one side then...

Image
...the other with acetone, petrol (without two stroke oil) would also do.

Image
As this was clearly a high stress area due to the trolley roller I roughened the nice shiny GRP where the strip head been but I would not bother doing this to the whole keel.

Image
I then applied a fresh strip of KeelEazy, rounding the ends and overlapping the original strip. Lastly I warmed it with a hair drier and pressed it firmly with my fingers to make sure it has stuck.

Image
Then I went boating :) :)

Douglas
These users thanked the author DouglasW for the post:
Martin (04 Apr 2017, 08:01)

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: KeelEazy application, removal and repair.

Post by Martin » 04 Apr 2017, 08:06

Hahaa.. excellent little repair post. :clappy

Like so many on here that have bought the keel easy, we're very grateful for the heads up.
There'd be a whole load of battered hulls without it, that's for sure!

I too used a hairdryer, worked a treat.
As far as I'm aware :LMT mines still as good as the day I fitted it.
IMG_0720.JPG
Keeleazy blue
These users thanked the author Martin for the post:
ARO (24 Mar 2019, 22:18)
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”