The Inflatable Boat Community, A Great Boating Discussion Forum Providing Free Help And Advice For Owners of Ribs, Sibs, Foldable Rib And Other Small Water Craft. https://f-ribsandsibs.com/forum/
I'm going to build a new camper van soon and I'm looking for ways to get the F-rib in and out of the back. I'm thinking of something along the lines of an easy load roof rack, http://www.karitek.co.uk/shop/roof-rack ... roof-racks so I can slide the boat in and out of the van. Anyone know where to source the components, or have any better ideas?
Re: Loading the van.
Posted: 04 Mar 2017, 21:29
by DouglasW
Hi Stray, I have the Karitek ELRR and also a similar rack called a LARS both work really well.
The ELRR is actually made by a sister company of Karitek called Teal Engineering. One of the reasons it is so expensive to buy is that it is not made from standard sections of aluminium.
As far as I know these sections were designed by Geoff Turner of Karitek/Teal Engineering and are not available anywhere else. I know that lots of kayakers have asked Geoff to supply the aluminium sections for a home build but he only sells complete racks.
The top the sliding section (2nd top photo) takes standard T mounts and instead of the kayak J bars you can fit a simple upright that would be ideal to retain a folded F-RIB in the loading position and is how I would move my F-RIB.
The rack lowered for loading. They also do a version for high sided vans and campers. This has a wire winch to get the load up.
I have done a review of the ELRR on my blog and there is also a discussion about loading kayaks and injuries sustained when doing so on my Facebook page.
Good luck with your new van and watch your back!
Douglas
Re: Loading the van.
Posted: 04 Mar 2017, 22:46
by Paul
Wow, it never ceases to amaze me the amount of 'stuff' out there to help us all with our problems
It's hard to think what we'd do without the internet these days without blogs, forums, Facebook and all the other media at our disposal
I can remember that it's not that many years ago "back in the day" you'd go down the library and read up on it or maybe get lucky that someone via word and mouth passed the knowledge on
Great info
Re: Loading the van.
Posted: 04 Mar 2017, 23:35
by Martin
How weird or should i say how great that set up is...
That's exactly the sort of design i was thinking of for loading my frib into the Navara, a lift up and slide in shelf...
Unreal what they think of, Cracking set up Douglas !!
I'm really looking forward to seeing Strays build, The last one was exceedingly good so i can't imagine how MKii is gonna turn out
Re: Loading the van.
Posted: 06 Mar 2017, 22:48
by Stray
Having had a good look round, it looks like I'll modify a 4 wheel sack barrow to make something that works like an Easy motor toter.
Re: Loading the van.
Posted: 25 Mar 2017, 17:50
by Davo
I had a Karitek Steve. They are spot on, but always remember to keep the pins in place until you are definitely going to unload. I parked in Runswick car park one day, took the pins out, then my mate suggested parking on the slipway. So yep, I jumped in the car and drove down to the slipway with two kayaks on the roof. Then I heard a rumbling noise then the loader came down, smashed the window and dented the door. The yaks were ok though. If you buy one, get the handle with extended arms, as it will easier to load and you wont have to lean under your sib.
Re: Loading the van.
Posted: 28 Mar 2017, 08:15
by James
Stray wrote:Having had a good look round, it looks like I'll modify a 4 wheel sack barrow to make something that works like an Easy motor toter.
It would work well with two stroke. The oil on a 4 stroke maybe an issue??
Re: Loading the van.
Posted: 28 Mar 2017, 21:40
by LoznMary
We have just bought one of the KariTek sliding roof racks for our Landrover Disco. We went down this route as the F Rib and engine inside the vehicle took most of the rear passenger space. I fitted the rack last weekend, but will be modifying it this week to add a solid platform so the F-Rib can sit flat on it. I looked and thought of all types of systems, but the KariTek seems to tick most boxes.
When I've finished "modding" it, will put some piccies on for anybody that wishes to see it. The F-Rib should be in my hands this Friday, so couple of more mods to that and should be good to go.
Regards
Loz
Re: Loading the van.
Posted: 30 Mar 2017, 21:23
by 9-R
Paul wrote:
It's hard to think what we'd do without the internet these days without blogs, forums, Facebook and all the other media at our disposal
I can remember that it's not that many years ago "back in the day" you'd go down the library and read up on it or maybe get lucky that someone via word and mouth passed the knowledge on
No kidding. I wouldn't have tried or thought of a lot of things without the internet and forums. Loving it. I know it has saved me a lot of money and time by DIY.
What I think is even better is that ideas and information aren't shared locally anymore but internationally!