Soft plastic lures
-
Stray
- Super Poster
- Posts: 817
- Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
- Location: Oop North.
- Has thanked: 34 times
- Been thanked: 99 times
Re: Soft plastic lures
Being a cheapskate I bought Aberdeens and bent them myself. As I only use hooks once, any damage to the coating doesn't matter.
Just heat them up on a gas ring and bend using a couple of pairs of pliers, it's a bit of trial and error to get the bend in the right place for the size of jig. Also while heated you can turn the hook eye as well if you want.
This blokes about the cheapest on Fleabay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281905596756? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I use 6/0s for the biggest two jigheads, 5/0 and 4/0 for the smaller two, but play around and use what suits you best.
Just heat them up on a gas ring and bend using a couple of pairs of pliers, it's a bit of trial and error to get the bend in the right place for the size of jig. Also while heated you can turn the hook eye as well if you want.
This blokes about the cheapest on Fleabay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281905596756? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I use 6/0s for the biggest two jigheads, 5/0 and 4/0 for the smaller two, but play around and use what suits you best.
- kaman
- Super Poster
- Posts: 846
- Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
- Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp - MMSI Number: 235114675
- Location: South West Scotland
- Has thanked: 25 times
- Been thanked: 135 times
Re: Soft plastic lures
Cheers Stray.
I'm going to go half and half with my old boy and make some assorted jig heads.
I'm sure the mould and modified hooks will pay their way in no time at all
I'm going to go half and half with my old boy and make some assorted jig heads.
I'm sure the mould and modified hooks will pay their way in no time at all
-
Stray
- Super Poster
- Posts: 817
- Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
- Location: Oop North.
- Has thanked: 34 times
- Been thanked: 99 times
Re: Soft plastic lures
Don't forget to get some googly eyes;

I got mine from a local shop but there's plenty on that internet auction site.

I got mine from a local shop but there's plenty on that internet auction site.
-
Andy B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1825
- Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
- Location: lost in space
- Has thanked: 78 times
- Been thanked: 252 times
Re: Soft plastic lures
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... s&_sacat=0kaman wrote:Dont suppose you got an eBay link to them googly eyes as well
Wasn't that hard, I typed "googly eyes" into the eBay search window
- kaman
- Super Poster
- Posts: 846
- Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
- Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp - MMSI Number: 235114675
- Location: South West Scotland
- Has thanked: 25 times
- Been thanked: 135 times
Re: Soft plastic lures
I'll need to polish my internet search techniques.
My search for 'Large googly eyes' only came up with these
.....
As we're all well aware googly eyes come in all different sizes I just wanted to double check with Stray which ones fitted in the mould.
However I'm sure I could find a use for the googly eyes depicted above

My search for 'Large googly eyes' only came up with these
As we're all well aware googly eyes come in all different sizes I just wanted to double check with Stray which ones fitted in the mould.
However I'm sure I could find a use for the googly eyes depicted above
-
Stray
- Super Poster
- Posts: 817
- Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
- Location: Oop North.
- Has thanked: 34 times
- Been thanked: 99 times
Re: Soft plastic lures
I bought a multi pack of them last year from a Boyes shop (don't know if you have them in your part of the world), they came in 3 different sizes and I only paid about a £1 for 3x100. The ones on Ebay look very expensive compared to that, unless you order from China. The size eye I use on the Jigheads is as near as I can tell 10mm.
After a quick look;
10mm UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200-x-10MM-RO ... c-xF3FHewA
10mm China
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200pcs-10mm-M ... SwDk5T~YSE
or 8mm (I doubt the fish will notice) UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiggly-Googly ... gdZhfXm5Aw
Hope this helps.
After a quick look;
10mm UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200-x-10MM-RO ... c-xF3FHewA
10mm China
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200pcs-10mm-M ... SwDk5T~YSE
or 8mm (I doubt the fish will notice) UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiggly-Googly ... gdZhfXm5Aw
Hope this helps.
- kaman
- Super Poster
- Posts: 846
- Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
- Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp - MMSI Number: 235114675
- Location: South West Scotland
- Has thanked: 25 times
- Been thanked: 135 times
Re: Soft plastic lures
Stray your a star thanks very much for sharing.
My old man uses jig heads all the time for trolling.
They are ridiculously expensive now.
Using the mould will be much much cheaper
My old man uses jig heads all the time for trolling.
They are ridiculously expensive now.
Using the mould will be much much cheaper


