Trailer drawbar modification

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Trailer drawbar modification

Post by Martin » 29 Jan 2018, 08:49

Paul,
Any mods or trailer builds after 2012 (February I think) have to go through a VOSA trailer approval test.
If your trailer has a plate on it check the date of manufacture. I’m not condoning this lol but if your trailer was manufactured prior to the 2012 regs you may have modified it before the regs came into place :LMT

If it was me with your trailer I’d be going down the box section insert route rather than a bolt on visible mod, chances are done like that it’ll not look out of place and it may well fit in the approval of the manufacturers spec anyway.

I know when I questioned the length of two trailers prior to purchasing mine, the only difference was in fact the draw bar length.
I see no reason why you can’t remove the draw bar from your trailer and replace it with a longer section of the same spec/size steel. Bolt through in 2-3 places using the original holes and Bobs your aunties uncle.

As said, this is what I would be doing if it was mine and I couldn’t possibly point you in the direction of anything illegal, so please take my comments with a pinch of salt.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Jeff Stevens 763
Active Member
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Jan 2017, 21:03
Boat Make: Mercury 365 HD xs
Outboard: Suzuki Df 25 4 st
Location: Retford Nottinghamshire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Trailer drawbar modification

Post by Jeff Stevens 763 » 29 Jan 2018, 09:38

his draw bar is welded so doing any chopping makes him fall foul of the 2012 regs

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Trailer drawbar modification

Post by Paul B » 29 Jan 2018, 11:42

Thanks for all your comments guys, Yes the drawbar is welded in place, so it’s not something I’d want to start chopping out,

Having looked at what Jeff had mentioned about modifying the rear end, this would be a much bigger job, as I would need to modify the bunks as well, by lengthening them which would involve extra supports and also the lights would need moving back as well, which would involve lots of extra work, the far simpler solution is what Im proposing to do,

I have removed the hitch, jockey wheel and winch post, the original drawbar is made from 50mm x 5mm wall thickness box section, so I’m getting a long length of 40mm box section and sliding it up the old brawbar and bolting it through the existing holes in the drawbar ,
It will be slid inside for approx 600mm with an extra 600mm for the extension, which I can bolt the hitch etc back too, no extra drilling of the old drawbar is required, and it will be more than strong enough for towing my sib.
The trailer was built in 2011 and was actually made for a large jet ski, so it’s well built already and more than enough for carrying a sib and outboard

Jeff Stevens 763
Active Member
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Jan 2017, 21:03
Boat Make: Mercury 365 HD xs
Outboard: Suzuki Df 25 4 st
Location: Retford Nottinghamshire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Trailer drawbar modification

Post by Jeff Stevens 763 » 29 Jan 2018, 11:55

that would work paul try and get thick walled box for added strength, try the metal store online they have galve box

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Trailer drawbar modification

Post by Paul B » 29 Jan 2018, 12:02

Jeff Stevens 763 wrote:that would work paul try and get thick walled box for added strength, try the metal store online they have galve box
Hi. Jeff. Yes got some 40mm x 5mm box section galve, so it should look the part and strong enough, don’t think most people will even notice it’s been extended once it’s all in place :thumbsup

Jeff Stevens 763
Active Member
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Jan 2017, 21:03
Boat Make: Mercury 365 HD xs
Outboard: Suzuki Df 25 4 st
Location: Retford Nottinghamshire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Trailer drawbar modification

Post by Jeff Stevens 763 » 31 Jan 2018, 11:46

hi paul
show us some pics when you get it done you have me thinking i could do similar to extend the draw bar for launching

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Trailer drawbar modification

Post by Paul B » 31 Jan 2018, 13:04

Will do Jeff, just waiting on the steel being brought up next month when my mate who’s made the new section visits

Edit. ,,,,, You can tell I’m from Yorkshire, new steel Is Free , :lol:

pkoz7556
I'm New
Posts: 16
Joined: 04 Jun 2017, 18:53
MMSI Number: 10
Location: yorkshire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Trailer drawbar modification

Post by pkoz7556 » 05 Feb 2018, 21:00

like hell , you seem to forget i am also from Yorkshire. that will be 2x fish and chips with curry sauce :lol:
These users thanked the author pkoz7556 for the post:
Paul B (05 Feb 2018, 21:03)

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Trailer drawbar modification

Post by Paul B » 05 Feb 2018, 21:07

pkoz7556 wrote:like hell , you seem to forget i am also from Yorkshire. that will be 2x fish and chips with curry sauce :lol:
Ohhhhh bugger, who rattled your cage,, :lol: Ok f&c coming up :thumbsup Thought you’d forgot about the forum , it’s about time you showed up :Boxsmile

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Trailer drawbar modification

Post by Martin » 05 Feb 2018, 22:37

Paul B wrote:
pkoz7556 wrote:like hell , you seem to forget i am also from Yorkshire. that will be 2x fish and chips with curry sauce :lol:
Ohhhhh bugger, who rattled your cage,, :lol: Ok f&c coming up :thumbsup Thought you’d forgot about the forum , it’s about time you showed up :Boxsmile
Bloody hell......
Eyup Pete, you've found the keyboard :clappy :mrgreen:
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”