RIBPort inc StarPort and 3M VHB

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: RIBPort inc StarPort and 3M VHB

Post by Martin » 21 Apr 2018, 15:54

Pritch, those images don’t show the abrasion on the tubes, did you rough it up enough with the scotch pad before trying to adhere ?
The VHB pads are pretty good and I’d expect the ribports would hold substantially better than my quickports due to the extended surface area of adhesion.. :LMT

Martin
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

pritch
Advanced Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 10 Aug 2017, 21:51
Boat Make: BISON 390
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Staffordshire
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: RIBPort inc StarPort and 3M VHB

Post by pritch » 21 Apr 2018, 16:30

They came with scotch pads and i gave it a good rub down and cleaned it properly,though i agree ,the photo doesn't show it very well.
To be honest ,the majority of the pad held quite well which i discovered when taking them off. Its just when i saw the edges starting to lift i decided to glue them on because i wanted them to last.

acidcloud
Active Member
Posts: 131
Joined: 07 Jul 2017, 22:11
Boat Make: Warrior 165
Outboard: 70 Hp Suzuki
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: RIBPort inc StarPort and 3M VHB

Post by acidcloud » 23 Apr 2018, 19:36

Pritch, what glue did you use on the RIBPorts, I heard you need two types because :
PVC Adhesive does NOT stick to Rubber.
PVC Adhesive DOES stick to Hypalon Adhesive.
Hypalon Adhesive DOES stick to Rubber

I'm deffinately considering putting multiple RIBPorts on my Honwave but want to get it right.
Any advise weclome

acidcloud
Active Member
Posts: 131
Joined: 07 Jul 2017, 22:11
Boat Make: Warrior 165
Outboard: 70 Hp Suzuki
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: RIBPort inc StarPort and 3M VHB

Post by acidcloud » 23 Apr 2018, 20:35

OK think I have my own answer there all made out of plastic so PVC Adhesive works om SIB and RIBPort I guess
StarPort – UV stabilised AES plastic
RIBMount pad – Non-leeching UV stabilised PVC plastic

pritch
Advanced Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 10 Aug 2017, 21:51
Boat Make: BISON 390
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Staffordshire
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: RIBPort inc StarPort and 3M VHB

Post by pritch » 23 Apr 2018, 20:54

acidcloud wrote:Pritch, what glue did you use on the RIBPorts, I heard you need two types because :
PVC Adhesive does NOT stick to Rubber.
PVC Adhesive DOES stick to Hypalon Adhesive.
Hypalon Adhesive DOES stick to Rubber

I'm deffinately considering putting multiple RIBPorts on my Honwave but want to get it right.
Any advise weclome
I did read this myself after I used my two part pvc glue. Doesn't seem much sense in it though because they stuck extremely well.

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: RIBPort inc StarPort and 3M VHB

Post by Martin » 23 Apr 2018, 21:54

To be honest guys, I wouldn’t attach the vhb mounts on any part that is within a fold.
When I set mine up to do the job I drew around the mounts with a light pencil and then folded the boat to ensure the mounts weren’t compromised.
Your tubes need to be pretty much up to pressure when mounting the pads, ensuring you’ve scuffed the mounting surface enough for the vhb to take hold.
As you see in my image I strapped the mount in place for some 48hrs giving it chance to adhere.

Mine did lift a little at the edges over the winter period prior to reinflating to correct pressure before using the boat at Easter. I warmed the quickports and strapped back down again. Although the main body is well adhered they have peeled a little again at the edges but not as bad as before.
I think the rib ports will adhere much better than my quickports due to the larger mounting area and load spread.

I have been in touch with railblaza and we are monitoring mine.
Give the vhb a go before going for the two part glue adhesion - in my opinion :thumbsup

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”