Rib & Sib fenders.
- psycho
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 30 Mar 2016, 15:57
- Boat Make: Zodiac 480DL
- Outboard: Mercury 75hp 2 stroke
- Location: Torbay
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
Rib & Sib fenders.
Hello peeps, thought that I would share with you all, a little idea that I had a while ago, and now I have made, tried and tested, am going to post on here...!
My rib is normally kept on the trailer, but sometimes, put on a visitor berth on the council marina, for the weekend, normally, for 3 nights at a time. While it is tied along side, I have been using the normal sausage type fenders, but they are a complete pain in the rear end, especially on my boat.!
I have seen the 'rib specific' fenders, but cannot justify the price tag of these, £30 for a small one, and £60 for a large.
This got me thinking, could I possibly make something, that is easier to use, lighter, easier to store, and most of all, CHEAPER..!
I took a little trip to the local 'Toolstation', and bought 4 x Kneeling pads, designed for gardeners. I then attacked them with the drill, and threaded a piece of rope, which I will get around to splicing, but wanted to adjust first, and a couple of holes for the elastic for the rubbing strake clip.
I have used these for 12 nights in total so far, not long I know, but they are really holding up well. Even if they only last me a season, I will not be bothered, as they are less than £5 each.
If this is of interest to you, please feel free to copy, and save some money
My rib is normally kept on the trailer, but sometimes, put on a visitor berth on the council marina, for the weekend, normally, for 3 nights at a time. While it is tied along side, I have been using the normal sausage type fenders, but they are a complete pain in the rear end, especially on my boat.!
I have seen the 'rib specific' fenders, but cannot justify the price tag of these, £30 for a small one, and £60 for a large.
This got me thinking, could I possibly make something, that is easier to use, lighter, easier to store, and most of all, CHEAPER..!
I took a little trip to the local 'Toolstation', and bought 4 x Kneeling pads, designed for gardeners. I then attacked them with the drill, and threaded a piece of rope, which I will get around to splicing, but wanted to adjust first, and a couple of holes for the elastic for the rubbing strake clip.
I have used these for 12 nights in total so far, not long I know, but they are really holding up well. Even if they only last me a season, I will not be bothered, as they are less than £5 each.
If this is of interest to you, please feel free to copy, and save some money
Last edited by Martin on 13 Aug 2016, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image 4961 turned (Neal Pad)
Reason: Image 4961 turned (Neal Pad)
- psycho
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 30 Mar 2016, 15:57
- Boat Make: Zodiac 480DL
- Outboard: Mercury 75hp 2 stroke
- Location: Torbay
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
Re: Rib & Sib fenders.
Bloody computers.....!
The pictures are meant to be the other way round, but are coming out last is first...! But you get the idea.
The pictures are meant to be the other way round, but are coming out last is first...! But you get the idea.
- Paul
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 3056
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
- Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
- Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
- MMSI Number: 235915479
- Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
- Has thanked: 459 times
- Been thanked: 356 times
Re: Rib & Sib fenders.
I'm liking this as it's a win, win and easier storage when they're not in use
I've some of those clips for the strake and some elastic cord so it's off to Toolstation for me

I've some of those clips for the strake and some elastic cord so it's off to Toolstation for me
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Rib & Sib fenders.
What a cracking idea...
Thanks for sharing. I've seen others with the proper fenders on, and tbh, I thought they looked a bit silly on a sib.
I may well follow this idea..
I've turned the last pic for you to make it a little easier to read, lol... My neck was starting to ache
I've moved the topic into modifications so it'll be found easier.
Hope that's ok
Thanks for sharing. I've seen others with the proper fenders on, and tbh, I thought they looked a bit silly on a sib.
I may well follow this idea..
I've turned the last pic for you to make it a little easier to read, lol... My neck was starting to ache
I've moved the topic into modifications so it'll be found easier.
Hope that's ok
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
- psycho
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 30 Mar 2016, 15:57
- Boat Make: Zodiac 480DL
- Outboard: Mercury 75hp 2 stroke
- Location: Torbay
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
-
harrison
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
- Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
- Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
- Location: Midlands & Up North
- Has thanked: 284 times
- Been thanked: 746 times





