YAM 360S form 5hp to 20hp and adding seats and steering console

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
Naishman Netherlands
I'm New
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Aug 2021, 09:14
Boat Make: Yam 360S
Outboard: Johnson 20hp from 1989
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Zeewolde
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

YAM 360S form 5hp to 20hp and adding seats and steering console

Post by Naishman » 27 Aug 2021, 10:07

As a newbie, see: Yam 360S with Johnson 20hp from the Netherlands I will show here all things I have done (or gonna do) to make our SIB more comfortable and with more power.

after several trips we decided we would like to have more comfort aboard, and I would like to have some more speed so we can pull a tube or something.

As bought with the 5hp we get a speed of 10 km/hr with all 4 in the boat, nice for some cruising around and the day trips

But a little more speed would be more fun (for me anyway :drive ).

With only me in the boat, I could get it on the plane with some weight shfting to the bow and then back when it was down but still hard to achieve.

So I bought a 'not running' Johnson 20hp for a few bucks:
Johnson (1).jpg
Johnson (2).jpg
Johnson (3).jpg
after just a half hour I had it running:


And that means I also had to try it on the boat, have been on the water for about half an hour adjusting and testing and was happy with the result.
Speeds was over 30km/hr so that felt good enough.

Here with the 20hp on the tail:
4474DA68-0C1E-4C03-8DD4-D5DEE4C2406F.jpeg
7AAAD25C-5074-4690-BE42-0251B4484D01.jpeg
After that run I swapped the 5hp back on it there I want to touch up the 20hp.
These users thanked the author Naishman for the post (total 2):
Tyger (31 Aug 2021, 12:54) • Martin (05 Sep 2021, 21:34)

Naishman Netherlands
I'm New
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Aug 2021, 09:14
Boat Make: Yam 360S
Outboard: Johnson 20hp from 1989
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Zeewolde
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: YAM 360S form 5hp to 20hp and adding seats and steering console

Post by Naishman » 27 Aug 2021, 12:17

After that the 20hp has run on the boat and the 5hp was back on the tail I started with upgrading the SIB.

Idea is to install seats ans a steering console.
After some hours with google I had several ideas and some dimensions so I started drawing what I had in mind.

I first measured the SIB so I could see how it would look like with the installation.
So with Tinkercad I made it more visual.

The steering console, with 25ltr tank, the tank has move aft a little because later I will install a battery in front of the tank:
Yam 360S console opbouw.jpg
And how it would look like:
Yam 360S console upgrade.jpg


So I started with the frame for the console, all aluminium 20x20mm:
205010AD-2AF6-4826-A497-F933C3FA03FD.jpeg
E45CB928-41FC-4068-8DB6-1FD9B216B5DD.jpeg
And steering control installed:
D1FFD8DF-C136-4F41-98D6-BFF2C3824127.jpeg
48AE3B1F-C6C0-4B7F-8789-DFA37CBCB373.jpeg
When the frame of the console was ready I installed it to the alu floor:
0C023208-9132-45C3-937D-447C635F6222.jpeg
3F9A829C-1A02-4B59-BA74-ADC1BDC396FC.jpeg
Here are the seats already installed, these are placed on a aluminium frame:
88B7251D-7B1F-4E00-8A06-3DBC766601A6.jpeg
And connected the Mariner to the steering and throttle/shifting control:
A1E83A7F-88BB-4977-970E-41E27963207A.jpeg
B27C3188-5BB9-45EE-82C9-F91F1045AFF7.jpeg
80A04EA5-7F53-4508-8B43-2C0184B36EEE.jpeg
In this set up we have been on the water and are very happy with it.
The console is made so that steering can be done while seated (off course) and standing up.

So now we are satisfied we can carry on with the upgrade.

warder54 Great Britain
Super Poster
Posts: 645
Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 08:32
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Montrose -Scotland
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: YAM 360S form 5hp to 20hp and adding seats and steering console

Post by warder54 » 30 Aug 2021, 09:05

Nice job!
These users thanked the author warder54 for the post:
Naishman (30 Aug 2021, 10:10)
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

Sibfisher Spain
Veteran Member
Posts: 420
Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 18:18
Boat Make: Elling KB 350
Outboard: Orca 9.8 4 Stroke
MMSI Number: 1
Location: Tui, Spain
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: YAM 360S form 5hp to 20hp and adding seats and steering console

Post by Sibfisher » 31 Aug 2021, 10:24

Like it looking very good

Limecc Great Britain
Advanced Member
Posts: 235
Joined: 06 Jan 2019, 12:25
Boat Make: Ranieri Revolution 15
Outboard: Suzuki DF60a
MMSI Number: 10
Location: J28 Notts
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: YAM 360S form 5hp to 20hp and adding seats and steering console

Post by Limecc » 02 Sep 2021, 10:45

Hi Naishman, top marks you've really done a great job. Can't help wondering if the overall handling of the boat would be improved by bringing the console forward? I realise foredeck space is a premium on such a small boat but even so, it's important to get up on the plane early and use those 20 horses to the full.

I miss the jockey seat of our old boat. Pros and cons but now I need a third hand to hang on at times. Depends on your boat usage I suppose.

Naishman Netherlands
I'm New
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Aug 2021, 09:14
Boat Make: Yam 360S
Outboard: Johnson 20hp from 1989
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Zeewolde
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: YAM 360S form 5hp to 20hp and adding seats and steering console

Post by Naishman » 02 Sep 2021, 12:50

Thank you Sibfisher and Limecc.

Due to the fact that I do not have a certificate at the moment the speed is limited till 20km/hour.
This means if I am alone in the boat I do not get it in plane without moving myself to the side of the console till the nose comes down, after that I can sit and relax in the back seat.

If I am with my son, I let him sit in the console seat till we are in plane and than he can sit next to me.

But off course I tried it without limiting the engine, then i can stay seated, the nose comes up, then the outboard pushes it over it`s own wave and the nose comes down and the boat accelerate to +35 km/hour.

in the console is the 25ltr fueltank and during the winter when the outboard will be fitted with electric start there also will be a battery in front of the fuel tank.

Also the console weight is in front which helps a lot, without the console the nose came up a little more.

Handling is much better then steering directly on the engine, especially because you now can sit normall and relax during the trips.

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: YAM 360S form 5hp to 20hp and adding seats and steering console

Post by Martin » 03 Sep 2021, 08:25

Hi Naishman, wow.. you’ve been a busy chap… great job !!!
I’m curious, is all that permanently fixed or can you remove it quickly and still pack the boat away to put in your boot/trunk?

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Naishman Netherlands
I'm New
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Aug 2021, 09:14
Boat Make: Yam 360S
Outboard: Johnson 20hp from 1989
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Zeewolde
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: YAM 360S form 5hp to 20hp and adding seats and steering console

Post by Naishman » 04 Sep 2021, 12:11

Hye Martin,

For the trips here in the Netherlands I have a normal road trailer and all will be stay mounted as is.

But because we will go on holiday in Croatia for 2022 and the SIB has to go on top of the car it all can be removed easily with just about a screw or 12.
I have installed threaded inserts in the aluminum floor.

Best regards,
Berto.

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: YAM 360S form 5hp to 20hp and adding seats and steering console

Post by Martin » 04 Sep 2021, 15:40

Sounds like you've got that well set up for your needs..
Great stuff :respect

Martin :cheers
These users thanked the author Martin for the post:
Naishman (05 Sep 2021, 21:11)
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”