Honwave De Luxe DIY Spray Hood

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
DavidA England
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Posts: 33
Joined: 12 Sep 2018, 09:33
Boat Make: Honwave T32
Outboard: Yamaha F6C four stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: London
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Honwave De Luxe DIY Spray Hood

Post by DavidA » 12 Jul 2020, 13:51

I had followed the shopping list in this post

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2527

but like a lot of people had sat on the stuff until lockdown gave me the motivation to actually make my own. The basic process was as per the post but I found the following made it easier.

1. Use thin 7mm tent poles cut to size such that the arch describes the required height. Wrap the ends in insulating tape having filed them round. On the T32 they fit handily into a loop in the top seam rope.
2. Keep the elastic in the poles cut to size. Take your material and fold a seam of at least 6 inches over the pole. Secure this with sewing pins NOT clothes pegs, it gives better accuracy. Great care must be taken not to puncture the boat!
3. Mount the pole in the rope pocket and secure upright with two bungee clips attached to the top rope. Make sure it is upright and can take tension.
4. Working from the bow fold up excess material until under tension it forms an edge above the rubbing strake. About 2 inches from the top of the strake.
5. Pin as you go try to create three straight lines.
6. If there is a handle in the way you need to allow for this.
7. When everything is pinned, remove material from boat and remove pole.
8. With a steam iron lightly press the edge of the seams to provide a crease.
9. On the inside of the material you can now draw the shape with a straight edge and a magic marker.
10. At this point I asked a professional to cut any further material needed so we could sew a 2 inch seam around the bow and a 2.5 inch seam where the pole goes. The material was doubled over and sewn. The pole seam ends being left open and reinforced.He charged me £25, worth every penny.
11. I bought a grommet kit and inserted the grommets at 10 inch interval, plus two for the pole.
12. I fitted the bungee cords cut to size to the pole to keep upright.
13. I threaded the bungee cord around the strake hooks and at each end added a small caribineer to wrap around the handles and keep the ends under tension.

And this is the result. Makes the perfect shelter for a six year old, is wind and watertight.
Attachments
T32 on trailer.jpg
Spray cover ahead.jpg
Spray cover left.jpg

Bigplumbs
Veteran Member
Posts: 467
Joined: 02 Sep 2017, 06:10
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Suffolk UK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Honwave De Luxe DIY Spray Hood

Post by Bigplumbs » 14 Mar 2021, 08:31

Looks very good I also made one during lockdown

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Honwave De Luxe DIY Spray Hood

Post by Martin » 14 Mar 2021, 18:15

That looks magic that @DavidA :clappy

I made one many years ago whilst on a caravan holiday in Wales, I'd had the idea for a good while but never had the spare time to make one, It made a hell of a difference, i've since made a good few others for various boats...

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Honwave De Luxe DIY Spray Hood

Post by Martin » 14 Mar 2021, 18:18

That looks magic that @DavidA :clappy

I made one many years ago whilst on a caravan holiday in Wales, viewtopic.php?f=20&t=318
I'd had the idea for a good while but never had the spare time to make one, It made a hell of a difference, i've since made a good few others for various boats...

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”