RAILBLAZA mount removal
-
eddzoid
- Active Member
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 21 Jan 2020, 08:02
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: DEREHAM
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 14 times
RAILBLAZA mount removal
A lot of people seem to have an issue with RAILBLAZA 3M glue on pads, including myself. I took mine off yesterday . Here is the amateur video I did to talk through the process.
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: RAILBLAZA mount removal
I think a lot of people rush the instillation and load the mount before giving it chance to cure.
Please don’t take that the wrong way, I’m not saying that’s the case with you but I have seen it in the past.
VHB (very high bond) is remarkable adhesive - mega holding power.
Did you use an abrasive pad on the tubes prior to instillation of the VHB mount?
The tubes below where the mount was originally seated don’t look to have been scored at all.
I purposely bought the VHB pads and fitted them without scoring to give me chance to actually use them for a season to ensure I was happy with the location.
I will refit mine with a new vhb pad after scoring the tube slightly so the new pad has something to adhere to.
Martin
Please don’t take that the wrong way, I’m not saying that’s the case with you but I have seen it in the past.
VHB (very high bond) is remarkable adhesive - mega holding power.
Did you use an abrasive pad on the tubes prior to instillation of the VHB mount?
The tubes below where the mount was originally seated don’t look to have been scored at all.
I purposely bought the VHB pads and fitted them without scoring to give me chance to actually use them for a season to ensure I was happy with the location.
I will refit mine with a new vhb pad after scoring the tube slightly so the new pad has something to adhere to.
Martin
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
eddzoid
- Active Member
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 21 Jan 2020, 08:02
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: DEREHAM
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 14 times
Re: RAILBLAZA mount removal
Hi Martin. I used MEK & sandpaper for the prep work. I weighed them down overnight. They started peeling from the corners. I have attached 2 Scotty mounts & another RAILBLAZA with 2 part Ribstore glue & they are still stuck perfectly.
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: RAILBLAZA mount removal
Great stuff,glad you got it sorted, with the prep you’ve done it makes you question- I wonder if they had a bad Batch..?
Mine peeled a little bit at one part but the main was stuck like sh!t to a shovel and that was with no prep apart from cleaning.
I agree tho. The 2part adhesive is deffo the way to go for permanent fixing.
Martin
Mine peeled a little bit at one part but the main was stuck like sh!t to a shovel and that was with no prep apart from cleaning.
I agree tho. The 2part adhesive is deffo the way to go for permanent fixing.
Martin
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
Mitch
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 575
- Joined: 16 May 2017, 16:31
- Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
- Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Swindon
- Has thanked: 118 times
- Been thanked: 113 times
Re: RAILBLAZA mount removal
I think it also depends on where your putting the base plate, if they are to be stuck onto a reasonably flat surface they’re ok but if sticking to the apex of a bend the pads aren’t brilliant, I used the pad for my front cleat & it was rubbish, just wouldn’t stay stuck so I used the 2 pack glue
-
James
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1115
- Joined: 01 Aug 2015, 12:25
- Boat Make: F-Rib 360
- Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
- MMSI Number: 235914355
- Location: Copthorne, West Sussex
- Has thanked: 39 times
- Been thanked: 61 times
- Contact:
Re: RAILBLAZA mount removal
I have one on the nose of the boat.
Last time I looked it was still on OK, however I got them to send a new pad because my first attempt pealed at the corners.
So maybe they have a bad batch
Last time I looked it was still on OK, however I got them to send a new pad because my first attempt pealed at the corners.
So maybe they have a bad batch
James
2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid
2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid



