Simple DIY outboard motor stand with wheels

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
MauiBen United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
MMSI Number: 10
Location: San Francisco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Simple DIY outboard motor stand with wheels

Post by MauiBen » 19 Aug 2019, 17:44

I'm really happy with the motor stand I made, and thought I'd share it. I wanted something simple, stable, compact and portable. The motor stands I've seen for sale are all so bulky. That's because they're designed to support the motor's weight entirely on the clamp. Mine uses the motor's lower unit to support most of the weight, and is therefore simpler and more compact.

It's basically two 2x10 boards connected with some old door hinges I had lying around. This allows me to fold it up for transportation. I carry my motor in the boot of a car, so this easily fits in there with it. I originally made it for a 6HP motor, which was able to clamp onto the bare 2x10 board, but later adapted it for a 10HP, which has a larger minimum transom thickness, so I had to add another small board where the motor clamps on to get the required thickness in that area. The height of your motor will determine the right height for the vertical board, which you'll have to measure. Measure from the top of the inside of the clamp, to the bottom of the fin on the lower unit, then add the thickness of the horizontal board.

Some bells and whistles include rubber feet on the bottom, which are nice since my motor is stored in an indoor closet with hardwood floors. I also added some wheels that, when the stand is tipped back, allow it be rolled around like a dolly. This is really convenient. I originally used a separate dolly to the move the stand with motor attached, but the handles on the motor make it difficult to keep it positioned correctly on the dolly. Note that it's important that the wheel diameter is larger than the bracket width, so that the wheels touch the ground without having to the tip the stand too far back. I tried to find smaller wheels with this property, but was unable to. Here are the wheels I used: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Finally, I painted the boards with some interior house paint I had, to protect it from water while flushing the motor. Without the paint, the boards would likely warp and rot after a while. If you don't plan on flushing on the stand, you can skip the paint.

Hope this is useful for someone.
Attachments
20190819_081254.jpg
20190819_081303.jpg
20190819_081313.jpg
20190819_081327.jpg
20190819_083340.jpg
20190819_083346.jpg
20190819_083644.jpg
20190819_083711.jpg
20190819_083729.jpg
20190819_083754.jpg

warder54 Great Britain
Super Poster
Posts: 645
Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 08:32
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Montrose -Scotland
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Simple DIY outboard motor stand with wheels

Post by warder54 » 19 Aug 2019, 19:37

I like the way you think! Simple is often the best
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”