Share your mods with the forum
Compo1804 Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honda Honwave IE
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 4T
MMSI Number: 10

Re: Honwave airfloor transducer bracket

Post by Compo1804 » 20 Oct 2018, 16:23

Ok Chris let md know when your ready. Ive ordered the Garmin Striker 4 plus.
Speak soon abd thanks again
Mal

Pengo England
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pengo » 29 Dec 2018, 15:57

I could do with one of these let me know if you still make them.
Thanks
Paul

ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38ie
Outboard: Mariner 5hp 2 stroke | Mariner 9.9hp Four Stroke
MMSI Number: 235916094

Post by ChrisParish » 01 Jan 2019, 19:27

Ok. I have bought a Garmin so it looks like I am going back into the mount making business.
I have been giving some thought to location as the launch wheels put the transponder in the vacinity of the disturbance caused by the chines / strakes on the hull. @The Hobbit you have yours mounted under the starboard tube, yes? How do you find performance of the fish finder at speed?
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

The Hobbit England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: 1985 Yamaha 2 stroke 15 D
MMSI Number: 235904468

Post by The Hobbit » 02 Jan 2019, 06:04

ChrisParish wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 19:27
@The Hobbit you have yours mounted under the starboard tube, yes? How do you find performance of the fish finder at speed?
At half to 3/4 speed it works fine but at anything higher it doesn't work Chris, but then who fishes at 20 plus knots? The same could be said for the depth reading too....... if you are not sure of the depth you wouldn't be charging around so the unit works absolutely fine. I use the Striker 4 with no problems and as you say I mount it under the starbord tube. :waterski :fishing
Attachments
20180411_100535.jpg
I'm not really a Hobbit, just look like one. Real name is "Andy".

All my movies in one place:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvarVX ... subscriber

Andy England
Advanced Member
Boat Make: Honwave T40
Outboard: Suzuki 20HP efi
Suzuki 2.5 life saver
MMSI Number: 235917838

Post by Andy » 02 Jan 2019, 08:20

I bought one of these. Bit pricey, but couldn't find anything else.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iron-Claw-N ... 749.l2649

My Garmin 7 striker I used the other day on a pond at 22 knots and it was ok. I needed to know the depth and speed, but agree, you wouldn't fish with it at that speed, but its more than a fishfinder, with route info, charts etc.

mm289

Post by mm289 » 02 Jan 2019, 10:29

solarsurfer wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 08:20
I bought one of these. Bit pricey, but couldn't find anything else.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iron-Claw-N ... 749.l2649
Thats pretty much what I use on mine. Although I am running an F-Rib so much easier to mount as I don't have the flaps - you will see it at the weekend Chris.

I haven't used it at full chat planing speeds yet, but upto about 11kn it was OK. I played around with placement but TBH at non displacement it is hard enough to see the screen with the boat bouncing around let alone try to make out fish :rofl so I decided the whole "can you see it at speed" thing was a bit of a non issue.

Depth readings/nav stuff is fine, its just the fishfinder picture that gets a bit cloudy. Pic attached was at 13kn in an estuary so lots of weed and stuff around.

Cheers,

Paul.
Attachments
2018-09-09 11.56.38.jpg

Supporting Member

Post by ChrisParish » 02 Jan 2019, 18:05

My striker 5 (didn’t bother with the plotter aspect - I have my iPhone with Navionics if needs be) comes with a trolling motor mount. A minor modification to this mount will allow me to pass a 1inch strap through it and fasten it to the bouyancy tube, so I am going to try that. My only concern is that it feels a bit exposed down there.

My cousin is coming with me on Saturday. If I can’t keep up with my tiny engine then I may need someone to take him!

Supporting Member

Post by ChrisParish » 04 Jan 2019, 22:24

Ok. Time for a new transducer mount!

I have got a Garmin Striker Plus 5cv which has quite a large transducer, so my old style mount just wouldn't cut the mustard. Having chatted with a couple of people via PM I decided that the way forward was to make an adapter which allows the use of the manufactures supplied transom mount.
To do this all I am really doing is providing a section of simulated transom in the correct place to allow the mount to be used.

I hit the CAD and came up with this:
Version 1 (cad).JPG
This has a hinge near the top, the idea being to allow some flexibility to get the mount angled correctly and to provide a point of failure if you hit the bottom.
I printed the two parts and bolted them together.
Version 1.jpg
It soon became clear that the hinge area was never going to work well - I wanted a wavy surface so that the two parts would index against each other, but the nature of 3D printing doesn't allow for small features like this very well.
I decided that I would design a solid version with the hinge omitted.
Version 2 (cad).JPG
Prior to printing this I thought I should assemble the boat and check the distance from the wheel tubes to the bottom of the floor so that I can set the length of the adapter plate, and hence the transducer height, correctly. I'm glad I did because this highlighted a potential problem.
Mounted.JPG
At first this look pretty good, but I remembered that the manual says to install the transducer away from anything which could cause a disturbance in the water and as the boat was upside down I had noticed the location of the chine / strake (what would you call them, I don't really know :whistle )
View of the strake.JPG
So now I realise that I need to make an adapter plate which will offset the transducer to the side so as to move it away from the downstream mess from the molded strip thingy. Back to the man cave!
My final version was this, which offsets the transducer by 45mm and sets the height correctly so that the bottom of the manufactures bracket is level with the bottom of the floor.
Version 3 (cad).JPG
8 hours on the printer later..
Printed.JPG
The transducer fits perfectly to the adapter plate
Assembled.JPG
Get the whole thing packed away into a watertight case (which I happened to have lying around) and we are good to go!
IMG_1803.JPG
All that remains now is to try it out, which I will be doing tomorrow - weather permitting.

If anyone wants me to make one of these to fit their transducer, I will need:
  • A copy of the manufactures fitting instruction (usually these come with a paper template - a copy of that would be perfect)
  • A measurement of the distance between the bottom of your steel support tube and the bottom of the boat (see pic)
  • The diameter of the steel tube
Measuring.JPG
The price of these is completely dependent on the size of the item. 3D prints aren't watertight either, so I recommend a coat of paint to seal them (or just leave them out to dry when you get them home - that's what I do)

mm289

Post by mm289 » 05 Jan 2019, 00:04

Wow, that looks very professional - my pole with a bit of steel on the end and a g clamp "may" feel a little intimidated :o :rofl :rofl :rofl

Well done - see you in the morning :)

Cheers,

Paul.

Supporting Member

Post by ChrisParish » 05 Jan 2019, 17:28

The bracket worked really well. I had no problem getting a reading at 15 knots (which is flat out for me).
I am going to print another version with a slight mod to the diameter of the bit that slides over the leg - I increased it and now it’s too big.
I’m not sure wether to seal the next one with epoxy, or just to print it at 100% infill so it is solid, only I can hear the water inside this one!

Return to “DIY & Modifications”