Framework to keep boat cover lifted

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
User avatar
Froglet Great Britain
Advanced Member
Posts: 269
Joined: 15 Apr 2018, 13:32
Boat Make: Honwave T38 ie1
Outboard: Mariner 25hp 2s, Yamaha 6hp 4s
MMSI Number: 235918142
Location: South Bucks
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Framework to keep boat cover lifted

Post by Froglet » 22 Apr 2018, 17:30

Not really a “modification” as such, but it amused me so I thought I’d share, while also giving me the chance to test uploading a photo.

After the thunder and heavy rain last night my thoughts were focused again on building some sort of frame to put under the cover to allow rain to run off rather than pooling. While I was considering cannibalising an old tent for the poles I remembered a tiny pop-up tent I bought for a BBQ get-together about 8 years ago. The party had the potential to get a bit “lively” so I decided to invest £20 in a pop-up rather than risk my nice tent. It’s only single skin so gets a bit cold in anything but heatwave weather and suffers from condensation for the same reason. Consequently it’s hardly been used.

It occurred to me that because the tent is self-supporting without the need for pegging that it may be a quick and simple way to keep the cover supported on the boat. I dug the tent out of the loft, popped it and shoved it in the boat.

So, does a 2 man pop-up tent fit in a T38? A bit snug, but yes with clearance at either end for a small amount of stuff like fuel tanks and a packet of biscuits. Don’t think you’d have much chance of getting 2 people in there and retaining any semblance of comfort. The single skin nature reduces its effectiveness at keeping out the elements and the V floor would roll you to the centre line of the boat.
IMG_3917.JPG
Also popping open the tent, while afloat, in anything other than zero wind, could see your tent making a break for the horizon. I know a bloke who lost his pop-up off the back of his motorbike on the A87, only to see it materialise behind him in the road, fully deployed. :lol:

Once jammed into the boat I don’t think the tent would be going anywhere, especially when weighted down with several stone of mid-life crisis, but I really wouldn’t recommend trying to hammer any pegs in. ;-)

And what about the cover? Nah, too tall for that job I think. Back to thoughts of thin PVC pipe.

What have others used keep covers supported? And what about tents for boats? Anyone experimented with one of those crazy-looking Russian tent-bimini things?

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Framework to keep boat cover lifted

Post by Paul B » 22 Apr 2018, 19:02

Haha. Love the the new style boat/ camper :lol:

I’ve used a couple of lengths of electrical plastic conduit to make a basic frame to keep my cover tight and for the water to run off, very simple and effective,
B3B16A3C-F2C3-4BF0-B63B-E4CEB6DCB375.jpeg
As you can see it’s 3 pieces of tube with a 3 way junction box and a bit of wood. I’ve drilled the tube at the bow and fastened a bit of cord to it so I can fasten it to the centre lifting handle, and the wood sits on the front seat, I just hold the tube onto the transom with a bungee cord, nice and simple and cheap
49C5AD91-E051-4CC8-840E-D6AE4767319C.jpeg
And in action no water polling at all :cheers

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Framework to keep boat cover lifted

Post by Martin » 28 Apr 2018, 23:01

If i leave my F-Rib out of the garage at any time, i tend to leave my bow dodger on and then throw the cover over. Sat with the Jockey wheel at full extent and the bow cover fitted the rain just falls of it no problem.

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”