Any VHF experts on here? I'm after some advice. I want to replace the stubby VHF aerial on the side of the console as I think it's corroded (well it's not working for some reason).
What do you recommend for mounting in that position? It needs to be removable or foldable if a longer aerial as I will need to be able to fit an all over cover. I'd like something with a bit more power (gain) than the existing stubby.
Thanks
picture showing existing aerial
VHF aerial recomendations
-
chris moody
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2348
- Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
- Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
- Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
- MMSI Number: 235900806
- Location: Braunston
- Has thanked: 146 times
- Been thanked: 443 times
-
rogerblack
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 884
- Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
- Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
- Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
- MMSI Number: 235913495
- Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
- Has thanked: 209 times
- Been thanked: 240 times
Re: VHF aerial recomendations
Hi Chris
Pacific Aerials have an ideal design where the cable is connected to the mounting hardware, allowing the antennae whip to be unscrewed and removed.
Here's their 1m Seamaster:
https://www.force4.co.uk/pacific-aerial ... -1-0m.html
Their through-deck mount could also easily be mounted using a made-up bracket:
https://www.force4.co.uk/pacific-aerial ... mount.html
or there's an adjustable fold-down mount
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/351944507569?c ... 649&crdt=0
they also do a rail mount which I've adapted to fit on an extension pole, but I can't find that currently listed anywhere with a quick G**gle.
( EDIT: just found one here : http://www.sailsmarine.com/ItemDetail.a ... &l=g&cc=GB )
Here are a couple of pics:
I also carry a folding extension pole to gain greater height if required: Hope this helps

Pacific Aerials have an ideal design where the cable is connected to the mounting hardware, allowing the antennae whip to be unscrewed and removed.
Here's their 1m Seamaster:
https://www.force4.co.uk/pacific-aerial ... -1-0m.html
Their through-deck mount could also easily be mounted using a made-up bracket:
https://www.force4.co.uk/pacific-aerial ... mount.html
or there's an adjustable fold-down mount
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/351944507569?c ... 649&crdt=0
they also do a rail mount which I've adapted to fit on an extension pole, but I can't find that currently listed anywhere with a quick G**gle.
( EDIT: just found one here : http://www.sailsmarine.com/ItemDetail.a ... &l=g&cc=GB )
Here are a couple of pics:
I also carry a folding extension pole to gain greater height if required: Hope this helps
cheers
Roger

“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”
Roger
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”


