Fish finder conversion

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
pritch
Advanced Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 10 Aug 2017, 21:51
Boat Make: BISON 390
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Staffordshire
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Fish finder conversion

Post by pritch » 23 Sep 2017, 07:45

Hi
Apologies for the order and orientation of some of the photos. I will get the hang of it one day.
I purchased this fish finder but I didn't like the battery set up or did I like the plastic housing which was cumbersome.
I wanted something compact that had good battery life, easy to mount and a transducer that didn't need to be screwed to the transom.
First off all I purchased a small powerful 12v battery then found an electrical waterproof box that just about fitted the battery. I cut off the old battery pack and purchased some male and female connector to connect the new battery.
When my rubber sanding block fell apart I realized it would make the prefect mount for the box to sit on.
I bolted the box through a tension strap and mount then went about fixing the transducer. I dumped the suction cup and melted two slits in the plastic to allow for the strap to pass through and be bolted .
First try last weekend and it worked perfectly. Its very solid and grips the inflatable very well.
When I launch or land I just loosen the strap and spin the fish finder to the side to rotate the transducer off the bottom.
I had it working for about 5 hours last week and it only used about 10% of the battery.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170923-085533.png
20170903_143908.jpg
20170903_143856.jpg
20170902_183110.jpg
20170902_183339.jpg
20170903_143328.jpg
20170903_143356.jpg
20170904_143458.jpg
20170904_143528.jpg
20170904_143510.jpg
20170910_171635.jpg
20170910_171650.jpg
These users thanked the author pritch for the post:
Paul (23 Sep 2017, 22:17)

pritch
Advanced Member
Posts: 247
Joined: 10 Aug 2017, 21:51
Boat Make: BISON 390
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Staffordshire
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Fish finder conversion

Post by pritch » 23 Sep 2017, 08:00

Couple more I found.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170923-074405.png
20170910_171725.jpg
These users thanked the author pritch for the post:
Paul (23 Sep 2017, 22:17)

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Fish finder conversion

Post by Paul B » 23 Sep 2017, 08:03

Nice job mate, looks neat and tidy and out of the way of the main deck area :thumbsup

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Fish finder conversion

Post by Paul » 23 Sep 2017, 22:20

Pritch
Cracking write up that mate and what an ingenious method of mounting the transducer 8-) :Hats
Very neat and tidy :thumbsup
:cheers

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”