Do you think the forum is quiet ?

Useful information regarding Forum posting.
Q & A - Help !
chris moody
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Ribcraft 4.8 Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Honda BF50 Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806

Re: Do you think the forum is quiet ?

Post by chris moody » 22 Sep 2016, 17:43

Why don't we create a directory of Sib / small boat friendly launch sites? Boatlaunch is I believe way out of date, so there isn't a up to date directory in existence anywhere. I'm sure between the active members on here we could populate the forum with 30 or 40 launch sites across the UK, with current pictures, parking charges, condition of slipway, etc. Once we have that number it should just slowly grow as people add more.

That would be something useful for Google to index.
Chris Moody
Tigga 2: Ribcraft 4.8 Honda BF50
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 22 Sep 2016, 17:47

We do have one Chris but needs some more input
http://f-ribsandsibs.com/viewforum.php?f=22
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

rogerblack
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495

Post by rogerblack » 22 Sep 2016, 18:13

Martin wrote:Thanks for the acknowledgement Roger.
Were you unaware of the active topics button?
Did you always use "view new posts" ?
:wavey

Hi Martin

I was aware of the Active Topics page and was using it from time to time, but I have a direct URL link to the View New Posts in my bookmarks as well as the Home Page; when I'm logging on from my smartphone or tablet rather than the laptop then I find it better as a quick single catch-up on the smaller screen. I then read up on all the Active Topics when I'm doing a more leisurely surf on my laptop.

Both are useful depending on the circumstances.

I don't think the forum is too quiet. I agree with the comments already made about quality rather than quantity; as we discussed whilst you were up here, the fact that many don't post is no reflection on their level of enjoyment of the forum, as evidenced by your Viewing figures. In most groups, communities, etc there is always a relatively small handful who contribute regularly & volubly with a silent majority who lurk in the background, reading and gaining information and enjoyment but either from shyness or feeling they don't know enough may not post much. For example, I post loads on some motorhome owners forums (fora?) as I've been an active motor-homer for over 20 years and feel confident helping newbies, whereas I am a member of several other forums where I only have a passing interest and, believe or not, manage to stay completely silent!

On the other hand, I got so involved with one forum that I had to cut down in the end, as I was spending far too much time at the keyboard and not enough having a life! :thud

:cheers
These users thanked the author rogerblack for the post:
Martin (22 Sep 2016, 21:41)
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

chris moody
Supporting Member

Post by chris moody » 22 Sep 2016, 18:18

I think if you can get 5% of a forums members as active posters you are doing very well. I suspect this forum exceeds that percentage so is doing better than most.
Chris Moody

chris moody
Supporting Member

Post by chris moody » 22 Sep 2016, 18:21

Just done a rough calculation and it looks like about 7% of this forum have posted more than 50 times (which is pretty active in my view for a forum only 18 months old).
Chris Moody

chris moody
Supporting Member

Post by chris moody » 22 Sep 2016, 18:30

Just added three slips, but need others to fill out the details as so far I have not visited them personally (but will do over this coming winter)
Martin wrote:We do have one Chris but needs some more input
http://f-ribsandsibs.com/viewforum.php?f=22
These users thanked the author chris moody for the post:
Martin (22 Sep 2016, 21:42)
Chris Moody

9-R
Super Poster
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI

Post by 9-R » 22 Sep 2016, 18:37

I know the majority here are UK but if I were you, and looking to expand membership, I'd think outside of that. When I first looked at this site, I almost thought it was a UK forum only and that there was a good chance I might not be welcomed. However I was dissatisfied with the others I found so thought I'd give it a shot.

In other general boat, fishing or hunting forums, I've found members from the U.S., Canada and Australia scattered throughout looking for a place to land. They appear to have questions and concerns but don't know where to turn. More specific to the U.S., the interest in SIBs and RIBs appears to be growing in California, Florida and Alaska.
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

Martin
Supporting Member

Post by Martin » 22 Sep 2016, 19:52

9-R, we welcome everyone from all walks of life, age, experience and location..
We'd love more folk from across the pond and beyond to join us. Myself and Paul we're delighted when you and Gwozhog joined. Finally we'd stretched outside the UK.

The problem we have is we can't be seen to be poaching from other forums. So we have to wait for the guys to find us.
I once looked on iboats (think it was iboats) where I read a question about folding ribs.
I joined the group, posted a reply all about the FRIB and offered a forum link for anyone wanting more info..
I got banned lol :lol: :Boxsmile

Do they actually get called sibs in America / Canada ?

Anyone friendly with any boating Aussies ??

9-R
Super Poster
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI

Post by 9-R » 22 Sep 2016, 20:14

Yes, now that I've been a member for a bit, I completely know that everyone is open to those from all around.

Please reflect on what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying this in a negative tone, only trying to be as positively helpful as I can. It's hard to put it into words but it just "feels" like a UK Members Only Club without you saying it. I *think* this feeling comes from the main group of members living relatively close to each other, having meetups and knowing all of the same general areas. You can't help it, it's what you know and what comes up in your conversations. Would be the same as one of you joining a Jeep Forum where most of the members were from Texas. There'd be a bit of a disconnect, culturally and geographically, even though the members would be open to any Jeep lover no matter where they were.

Chris' response reminded me of this, 'I'm sure between the active members on here we could populate the forum with 30 or 40 launch sites across the UK. Sorry Chris, not trying to jump on you but you had the closest example I could find. There's no harm in his statement and I know he didn't mean anything by it because it's what you know and what you are familiar with, but it sort of gave a negative vibe because it made it appear as though you guys only care about your area. Make sense? :?: I think if it were worded differently to say ' we could populate the forum with launch sites from where ever your neck of the woods might be''? Again, I think you guys are great and would love to join you on one of your gatherings. In addition, I'm anxious for others to join this wonderful forum so I'm only trying to help and don't mean anything negative with what I'm saying or pointing out.

Don't know what the answer is. Maybe it just takes groups of members from all over to change this feeling? :cheers
These users thanked the author 9-R for the post (total 2):
Paul (22 Sep 2016, 21:05) • Martin (22 Sep 2016, 21:42)
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

Martin
Supporting Member

Post by Martin » 22 Sep 2016, 20:39

:stop That my friend is straight from the heart and nobody on this forum would take offence or see it as a negative.
We've always stated we want this to be a worldwide forum but we are in all honesty struggling to attract from outside the UK.
Any suggestions you have to widen our membership would be gratefully received.

Knowing Chris, I don't think he will have meant that quite how it could possibly have been read. Chris runs a very successful Facebook group with members worldwide.

The U.K. reference is something we do need to watch for if its something that could be mistaken.

And thankyou for your kind words & input :D
These users thanked the author Martin for the post:
9-R (22 Sep 2016, 20:41)

Return to “The Forum "How To" Guides & Help Library”