help!
-
bodger
- I'm New
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 15 Aug 2020, 16:15
- Boat Make: non at present
- Outboard: as above
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: eastleigh
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 1 time
help!
getting a 330 & 6hp. What weight anchor and dia anchor line is right for sea fishing?, on that size inflatable boat. Guidance greatly appreciated.
. bodger
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: help!
It depends on the bottom where you will be anchoring. For anything but rock or hard clay I would use a 2kg Bruce anchor, 3m of 6mm chain and enough 6 or 8mm rope to give you 3 to 4 time the max depth in which you think you will be anchoring; so in 10m of water you would want 30 to 40m of rope.
- These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
- Swansong (02 Oct 2020, 17:46)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
-
bodger
- I'm New
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 15 Aug 2020, 16:15
- Boat Make: non at present
- Outboard: as above
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: eastleigh
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: help!
Thanks Chris I have 6mm anchor line but I feel those scuba reels wont hold enough line! I want to be able to store anchor line on a reel I will be using approx 45mtr, have you any idea about a reel with that capacity?, I am also going to use the folding grapnel anchor, everything is more tidy for storage, would that anchor be the same weight as the bruce. Thank's Chris appreciate your advice.
-
IanH 72
- I'm New
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 13 May 2020, 11:11
- Location: Dartford, Kent
- Has thanked: 45 times
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: help!
Hi Bodger,
Google AquAid water coolers in Southampton as they buy 100m reels of 6mm poly pipe used for installing the water coolers and will throw away the empty reels when empty. The empty reel should be just what you want.
Ian
Google AquAid water coolers in Southampton as they buy 100m reels of 6mm poly pipe used for installing the water coolers and will throw away the empty reels when empty. The empty reel should be just what you want.
Ian
-
bodger
- I'm New
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 15 Aug 2020, 16:15
- Boat Make: non at present
- Outboard: as above
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: eastleigh
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: help!
Thank's Ian, just googled but cant see how to get an empty reel from them,(not computer literate!), Have these reels a frame and turning handle?. bodger
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: help!
Hi Bodger,
Unless you are anchoring on rock folding grapnel anchors don’t hold very well. I have a 5kg one which barely holds my T38. If you are on rock it will hold great. So great that you may have to dive to fetch it!
I know the Bruce is a pita to store, but it is the better anchor.
Unless you are anchoring on rock folding grapnel anchors don’t hold very well. I have a 5kg one which barely holds my T38. If you are on rock it will hold great. So great that you may have to dive to fetch it!
I know the Bruce is a pita to store, but it is the better anchor.
- These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
- Swansong (02 Oct 2020, 17:45)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
-
IanH 72
- I'm New
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 13 May 2020, 11:11
- Location: Dartford, Kent
- Has thanked: 45 times
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: help!
Hi Bodger,
The reels don’t have a frame or handle but are fairly strong being made out of plastic. (See below picture)
Just call this number and ask whether they have any empty 1/4” poly pipe reels that you could collect. If you don’t get anywhere ask for Kevin James in sales and I’m sure he will help. I worked in the London South East branch until last Friday but started a new job on Monday. You can mention that Ian Harris said to call as he knows me.
The reels don’t have a frame or handle but are fairly strong being made out of plastic. (See below picture)
Just call this number and ask whether they have any empty 1/4” poly pipe reels that you could collect. If you don’t get anywhere ask for Kevin James in sales and I’m sure he will help. I worked in the London South East branch until last Friday but started a new job on Monday. You can mention that Ian Harris said to call as he knows me.
-
harrison
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
- Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
- Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
- Location: Midlands & Up North
- Has thanked: 284 times
- Been thanked: 746 times
Re: help!
Reckon I’m with @ChrisParish here.
A Bruce style claw is far superior to a folding grapnel. If storage is an issue, even a tiny 1kg bruce will hold a sib well if you don’t skimp on the chain, say 3m...the weight of chain sets the anchor. You can also rig a bruce to ‘trip’ for recovery if jammed in rocky beds.
Storage wise many, including myself, just use a cheap garden flexi tub. Quick and easy to deploy/recover with rode simply flaked into tub.
As an aside, thicker rope is easier on the hands to haul in.
A Bruce style claw is far superior to a folding grapnel. If storage is an issue, even a tiny 1kg bruce will hold a sib well if you don’t skimp on the chain, say 3m...the weight of chain sets the anchor. You can also rig a bruce to ‘trip’ for recovery if jammed in rocky beds.
Storage wise many, including myself, just use a cheap garden flexi tub. Quick and easy to deploy/recover with rode simply flaked into tub.
As an aside, thicker rope is easier on the hands to haul in.
harrison
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'


