Page 1 of 2

Dry Suit

Posted: 17 Sep 2018, 20:22
by digitalman
I don't want to set the forum on fire, but I have decided to get a dry suit or a similar alternative as a gift for my birthday this year. Up to now I have just been a summer sailor and got by with a shorty wet suit or when really warm shorts and t shirt. Looking to do some extra trips out now I have a decent boat/engine set up and all the other usual safety gear.

Looking for recommendations so I can draw up a short list and then go any try some on to get the best fit.

Please pros and cons for suits or suitable alternatives. I want to be safe and not become a statistic :thumbsup

Re: Dry Suit

Posted: 17 Sep 2018, 21:23
by Martin
Nothing wrong with wanting to buy a dry suit pal, quite a few of the guys have them for winter boating.

Martin :thumbsup

Re: Dry Suit

Posted: 18 Sep 2018, 00:55
by harrison
Good call. Having a dry suit will seriously extend your boating season. Lots of styles and makes out there for all budgets.

Well known brands in the popular £250 to £450 range include Typhoon, Gull and Crewsaver.

Front entry/diagonal zip styles offer good access and comfort at a reasonable price. Most are now made of multilayer breathable fabrics. Consider options such as convenience zips and whether you want an underfleece.

Worth checking out Wetsuit Outlet as usually have a good range and keen prices;

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/mens-c-28_97_99.html

In use ensure you expel all the air out by pulling out the neck seal and crouching down. Also check capacity of your life jacket - heavy clothing/dry suits may require more buoyancy to quickly self right. I use a 190N with my drysuit.

harrison

Re: Dry Suit

Posted: 18 Sep 2018, 03:54
by ChrisParish
If you are a larger feller, like me, and need a custom one then Trident UK make some. I am looking to have one made this winter for about £400.

Re: Dry Suit

Posted: 18 Sep 2018, 08:25
by PeterM
I've been using a gul code zero for the last year. Mainly on a jetski. Really comfy and most importantly has a comfort /pee zip. Stands up well and for a our 330 quid includes a fleece under suit. I then have a pair of cheap black trainers to wear... A size bigger than normal to cater for the feet.

Been out in 3'c and at 45knts still warm. :),

Works for me... But 100%,try one before you commit to make sure it fits OK.

Re: Dry Suit

Posted: 18 Sep 2018, 11:17
by digitalman
With the dry suits and the foot part of the suit do people wear thermal socks under the dry suit feet and then suitable footware over the top?

At the moment I wear neoprene socks and then neoprene lace up divers boots and they do keep my feet nice and warm when they get wet.

Would I need to wear anything over the dry suit feet to protect them from the actual footwear?

Thanks for all the information so far :thumbsup

Re: Dry Suit

Posted: 18 Sep 2018, 11:26
by chris moody
I wear rock boots with my dry suit, which look like a walking boot, but have a neoprene sock built in and non marking soles. With dry suit latex feet it’s best to wear a thin over sock to prevent wear to the latex feet.

Re: Dry Suit

Posted: 18 Sep 2018, 11:34
by digitalman
chris moody wrote: ↑
18 Sep 2018, 11:26
I wear rock boots with my dry suit, which look like a walking boot, but have a neoprene sock built in and non marking soles. With dry suit latex feet it’s best to wear a thin over sock to prevent wear to the latex feet.
Thanks Chris, at least i have the foot department sorted :yay

Re: Dry Suit

Posted: 22 Sep 2018, 18:04
by digitalman
All sorted today at the Southampton Boat Show, tried a few on and picked a Typhoon for the best fit and price was good too, :D

Re: Dry Suit

Posted: 22 Sep 2018, 18:20
by harrison
Nice one, the Max B is a great suit. :thumbsup