Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
-
IanH 72
- I'm New
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 13 May 2020, 11:11
- Location: Dartford, Kent
- Has thanked: 45 times
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
Those Rib steps look like a worthwhile buy but I don’t think I will try the method show in the video as I wouldn’t get past being upside down with my head in the water 
-
Sarah
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 386
- Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 20:05
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 362 times
- Been thanked: 123 times
- Contact:
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
Hi Ian,
Only just seen your post but you raise interesting point about PB2 MOB and getting back into boat on your own - def something we will include more of. Many bigger RIBs have ladders but they are often put away in a locker. We have ours attached to the back so you could reach in over transom and pull down the ladder.
You ask about lists and things - on the resources page of our website you'll find links to quite a few information topics - things like checklists and engine checks etc https://dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk/resources-page/ It is no substitute for training as tricky to apply info to individual circumstances but hopefully reminder if you've done a PB2.
Also on the menu of the Free Safetrx app you will find a checklist for equipment and I think you can adapt this to your own needs.
Throw bags are a big favourite of mine. I boated for years having been told they were on board but never knew how to use one. Now I try to use a demo one on each course if times permits. There is a time and a place but personally I have used them several times for retrieving boats from the mud too when helping others.
@Martin We're happy to post a link to a safety idea/ resource every so often on a board if you can point us to the most suitable one to post on. That ways those who are interested can subscribe? Always easier to look at one thing at a time rather than get inundated.
Only just seen your post but you raise interesting point about PB2 MOB and getting back into boat on your own - def something we will include more of. Many bigger RIBs have ladders but they are often put away in a locker. We have ours attached to the back so you could reach in over transom and pull down the ladder.
You ask about lists and things - on the resources page of our website you'll find links to quite a few information topics - things like checklists and engine checks etc https://dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk/resources-page/ It is no substitute for training as tricky to apply info to individual circumstances but hopefully reminder if you've done a PB2.
Also on the menu of the Free Safetrx app you will find a checklist for equipment and I think you can adapt this to your own needs.
Throw bags are a big favourite of mine. I boated for years having been told they were on board but never knew how to use one. Now I try to use a demo one on each course if times permits. There is a time and a place but personally I have used them several times for retrieving boats from the mud too when helping others.
@Martin We're happy to post a link to a safety idea/ resource every so often on a board if you can point us to the most suitable one to post on. That ways those who are interested can subscribe? Always easier to look at one thing at a time rather than get inundated.
IanH 72 wrote: ↑05 Jun 2020, 08:13Being new to sibbing I found this very interesting and hadn’t thought about the effect of cold water if I fell in or how hard it would be to get back into the boat especially if wearing waders![]()
Are there ladders available that attach to the transom or tubes that can be pulled down if you suddenly find yourself in the water?
I’ve only been ribbing in Italy in the summer so cold water wasn’t an issue but would have a ladder attached to the boat making it easy to get back onboard after a swim.
I have done the RYA powerboat 2 course and would recommend it to everyone and enjoyed the man overboard recovery part of the course but it was more to help retrieving others into the boat than what to do if you unexpectedly find yourself in the water on your own.
Maybe some of you with experience could start a safety thread of things us newbies need to know and basic safety equipment worth getting. This could be things like getting back in the boat, best life jackets to wear, how to use throw bags etc..
Please feel free to ask questions about training & RYA qualifications, if you're not local we will try to point you in the right direction!
Dorset Marine Training, Poole - 01202 901267, www.dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
sarah@dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
Dorset Marine Training, Poole - 01202 901267, www.dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
sarah@dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
-
Sarah
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 386
- Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 20:05
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 362 times
- Been thanked: 123 times
- Contact:
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
Its an impressive video though isn't it!
Please feel free to ask questions about training & RYA qualifications, if you're not local we will try to point you in the right direction!
Dorset Marine Training, Poole - 01202 901267, www.dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
sarah@dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
Dorset Marine Training, Poole - 01202 901267, www.dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
sarah@dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
-
harrison
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
- Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
- Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
- Location: Midlands & Up North
- Has thanked: 284 times
- Been thanked: 746 times
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
This is perhaps a more real world version
PS: Re the Rib-Step, there are lots of cheaper copies out there. Look the same in the pics but nowhere near as good.
harrison
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
-
Jannyhill67
- I'm New
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 21 Jun 2020, 12:19
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Ripon
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Waders / DrySuit - OR Not ???
Thanks for this very honest report. We have just bought a sib and are thinking of clothing so this has been very useful. I’m thinking dry suit trousers as I’m a short legged lady, and a dry suit cag for summer and dry suit for winter use.
Any ladies with advice please post!
Already gleaned so much from this site.
Thanks everyone.
Any ladies with advice please post!
Already gleaned so much from this site.
Thanks everyone.


