Bombard Aerotec 380 - The BAT

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Bombard Aerotec 380 - The BAT

Post by ChrisParish » 18 Apr 2021, 18:19

Hi there folks!

At the beginning of last season I discovered that there is a small leak in the airfloor of my Honwave T38 and I decided that a replacement is in order.

With lockdowns etc and the work on our dory style boat, the process of replacing the Honwave had taken rather longer than I would have liked.

I was perusing eBay one day when I stumbled across an Aerotec 380 for £500. One day remaining and no bids.
Ever since I first saw pictures of one I have been keen on the Aerotec and deeply lamented the fact that it was out of production. They feature a deep V inflatable floor which runs the length of the boat, rather than the ‘V at the front - flat at the back’ approach of the Honwave.
With my local water being the Solent (the stretch of water between the UK mainland and the Isle of Wight) I wanted something which would handle the chop nicely, as the tides produce some nasty pyramid shaped waves, and I figured the Aerotec would fit the bill.
So I kept an eye on the auction and put a bid in at the end. I bid £640. I lost. Miffed was I.
A day later I got a second chance email from the seller, offering it me for my top bid of £640. Most pleased was I! :party

A slight wrinkle - the boat was up near Newcastle and collection only; a good 300+ miles away. Thankfully my retired parents live near Sheffield and they offered to go and collect it for me.
07FE37BE-F1C0-415D-B496-69A69D2DF323.jpeg
Collection Day
It then sat in their garage for a few weeks until I was able to nip up and fetch it.

I brought it back and inflated it in the back garden.

The boat is a 2014 ex-display unit, purchased from Pennine Marine. The original owner has had a number of engines mounted on it and over time has modified the transom several times - the final modification being to return it to stock height and add a stainless steel reinforcement plate to it.
E377C386-CDB2-4E49-A6EB-17966F8F64DD.jpeg
Reinforced transom
General wisdom (and the knowledge of @harrison) is that you need to raise the engine by about 20mm if you are using a Suzuki, but this modification makes it difficult. Indeed I cannot raise the engine at all without moving the clamping plate which is bolted right through the transom.
Also - the addition of the steel sheets made the transom too wide and my engine would not fit. Most vexing.
I removed the plywood plate from the rear of the transom for the purpose of being able to run the boat today and I will replace it with a thinner one.

This morning my cousin and I (who have been bubbled throughout lockdown) headed down to Baiter in Poole for the maiden.
F4EA3205-885C-4822-8FF4-942CB3FBC572.jpeg
Ready to Go
First impressions were good. At displacement speed it felt pretty much like the Honwave, but it turned perhaps a smidge better.

After some time to warm up the engine I opened the taps. We popped up onto the plane easily and the boat tracked straight as a die. Then I looked at the transom and saw water pouring in over the back from the spray hitting the leg :thud

It is a common problem with the Aerotec that you get a lot of splashing at the rear. This appears to be caused by a combination of the profile at the trailing edge of the transom and the height of the engine. There is a wonderful drawing of the problem which was posted on the other channel, and if the original poster reads this maybe they could post it here (hint :whistle )

A bit of experimenting with boat loading and speed and I found that if I kept the speed down to about 14 knots we could cruise quite happily without emptying the harbour into the bilge!
D00FB8F1-DCFB-4640-811C-86049144A823.jpeg
Swanage from the Sea
We popped around to Swanage for a breakfast roll and a drink.
C280EEFC-9C3D-44D9-B487-4B3F7F7A9F8E.jpeg
Beached at Swanage
You may notice a slight lean to the boat on the beach. When we beached at Swanage I discovered that one of the tyres has a puncture. :roll:

From there we popped across the bay to Bournemouth Pier before returning to Baiter.
0110C126-48E1-40A4-B219-C6C639BBDB27.jpeg
Approaching Bournemouth
So. After that voyage I have to say that the difference in performance and handling between the Aerotec and the Honwave is quite stark.

The Honwave is about 3 to 4 knots faster, given the same engine and prop. I might be able to close that gap if I raise the engine a bit - we will have to see.

The Aerotec feels smaller, as it is narrower and more pointed, but it feels more “planted” than the Honwave.

The Aerotec turns like no sib I have ever come across. Tight and direct - no slipping sidewards - almost like a rigid hull.

In light chop and crossing wakes the Aerotec beats the Honwave hands down. It doesn’t slap like the Honwave does. This is entirely down to the hull shape.

There isn’t as much leg room in the Aerotec. Because it is narrower and the edges of the floor are angled up I cannot sit on the tube and put my legs out straight.

Didn’t stop me grinning like a fool though!
C5DB3D34-74A8-400B-BD30-90689AFADB8E.jpeg
Happy Monkey
So in summary I am happy with this boat, but there are some mods which need doing.

Watch this space!
These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post (total 2):
Oldman (18 Apr 2021, 19:40) • harrison (19 Apr 2021, 07:35)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Bombard Aerotec 380 - The BAT

Post by harrison » 19 Apr 2021, 07:32

Great report and good to see you have the grey one...of course well known they’re not half as fast as the common red ones. :whistle

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing severe splash coming back into the boat. This phenomenon was discussed to death back in the day on t’other channel, and if you have an hour or two to kill.....

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/aerotec-t ... 71528.html

This was my ‘two penneth worth’ at the time;

“Started this response on another thread but thought more relevant here.
Always suffered the dreaded 'splash' to a degree although never into the boat so more of an annoyance than the real problem many suffer. To try and bottom this out I knocked up a couple of temporary transom raisers at 50mm and 65mm.


2A9F9F3D-175D-422C-8C76-D2E4BA3E8F23.jpeg
Virgin transom

54E1D7C3-B54B-42D1-A4DC-2D605A3C8EEC.jpeg
Stock 25mm riser


592BE9B0-044B-46AB-BD73-D594580C8687.jpeg
Stock 25mm riser


444557A2-C523-440E-89BA-5BC42DE64DE6.jpeg
50mm riser


5BECCDA2-2134-462E-A1C0-795193EEC673.jpeg
65mm riser



Only tested solo this weekend so findings not fully conclusive yet, though I fear the underlying cause is not just engine height. Splash is worse on a lightly loaded boat and on mine only at near max speed.
Have been running 25mm riser as stock, now tried 50 and 65mm. No top speed gain (21knots) with any, splash is getting less with more height but not yet fully eliminated. Not suffering any significant ventilation even at 65mm so may be room to go higher though reluctant to do this. Also trimming either side of optimum makes little difference to splash, but significant to performance.

In my opinion it's the disturbed water exiting off the concave transom/v-floor edge curling up and inward hitting the lower leg. The AV plate sits nicely at the surface of the main water flow with 50mm raiser, but the intermittent secondary flow hits the leg randomly and above the splash plate. This is what causes the splashing. Photo below indicates this soft corner between the transom and floor. Note: 25mm riser in pic.


BE4945FD-63EA-4709-B0D4-59E0963BFADA.jpeg


Below are a couple of crude sketches to try and indicate water flow off the Aerotec and a typical sib.


3C983E0D-EFBA-4BBD-80E8-690675268E53.jpeg


Have tried a splash plate in the past, which helps, but would rather eliminate splash at source rather than mask the problem. However, now I know the splashing is not significantly affecting performance, then a combination of raising the engine to optimum and then a splash plate to deflect the pesky secondary intermittent water flow, may be the way to go.
The quest continues.”



Hope you sort the splash out @ChrisParish :thumbsup
These users thanked the author harrison for the post:
ChrisParish (19 Apr 2021, 16:34)
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

bbutty England
Advanced Member
Posts: 192
Joined: 14 Jun 2020, 08:35
Boat Make: Merc OceanRunner 350
Outboard: Mercury F20 EFI on Remotes
Location: Christchurch
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Bombard Aerotec 380 - The BAT

Post by bbutty » 19 Apr 2021, 09:43

Great looking boat there chris :thumbsup

Sounds like it will suit your home waters perfectly with the shape of that hull. Hope you get the transom splash sorted without too much difficulty. Although if it causes you too much trouble, based on the cracking job you did with your transom refit, you could build a new custom transom to fit, with the correct height to prevent splashing once tested with the current setup.

Look forward to hearing how you get on

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Bombard Aerotec 380 - The BAT

Post by ChrisParish » 19 Apr 2021, 13:07

Thanks for the info @harrison - that is a great help.

The plan for now is to remove the clamping plate (which is too low), and make some replaceable raisers as per the pictures above. Once I have found a suitable height I will strip the transom down completely (while leaving it glued to the boat), fill any holes with hardwood dowels and then fit a hardwood strip to the top to make the transom exactly the height I need it to be. I will then sand it all down, fill any cracks and then varnish / epoxy / paint it (I haven't decided yet - thoughts welcomed).

@harrison - when using your larger raisers, what did you do about the clamping plate on the front as there is no way the engine clamps reached down that far, surely?

@bbutty If I ever have to reglue the transom then I will deffo make a new one (possibly a nice composite one - no wood to go rotten!) and make it the shape it should have been originally!
These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
bbutty (19 Apr 2021, 16:15)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

PeterM
Super Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 14:53
Location: Bournemouth & Poole
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Bombard Aerotec 380 - The BAT

Post by PeterM » 19 Apr 2021, 14:51

Nicely done Chris - i had a few of these over the years with either a 25 or 20hp 2 stroke Mercury on them.

I never quite fixed the small waterfall over the transom at speed , but simply ran the boat with both drain bungs out and relied on the 1 way valves to stop it getting too bad when stopped :)

I seem to recall then when new they ended up being around £2200 - the T38 being substantially less money for the same length boat, but they really are good in small chop and bad weather with the V on the hull making a big difference .

I'm keen to try and get 'around Portsmouth' again this year - the Aerotec being the ideal boat to do it in :)

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Bombard Aerotec 380 - The BAT

Post by ChrisParish » 19 Apr 2021, 16:38

@PeterM i suspect the previous owner never truly fixed it as both drain plugs look brand new and are in a plastic bag along with the instruction manual!

I would be up for a trip around Portsmouth, so give me a shout if you get one organised.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Bombard Aerotec 380 - The BAT

Post by harrison » 20 Apr 2021, 12:15

ChrisParish wrote: ↑
19 Apr 2021, 13:07
@harrison - when using your larger raisers, what did you do about the clamping plate on the front as there is no way the engine clamps reached down that far, surely?
The larger raisers were just temporary. I removed both inner and outer pads and the raisers were 10mm hdpe both sides, timber packer between, and bolted through transom top and bottom. Have to say they were rock solid even flat out bouncing over chop, but would alumin/ss plate inner if permanent.

Have to say though the Suzi 20 ran fine on our regular 25mm spacer with some splash but never the severe over transom stuff others reported. Even flat out, one up, three up or towing did it ever get too bad. Also the test 50/65mm jobbies didn’t really offer any performance benefits and only slightly reduced, not eliminated, splashing.

What trim settings did you try? We ran ours well trimmed out on pin 4 of 5

Hope you get it sorted. :thumbsup
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Bombard Aerotec 380 - The BAT

Post by ChrisParish » 20 Apr 2021, 16:23

I ran it on the middle hole. To start with loads of water came over the transom but after half an hour or so it didn’t do it much anymore - I figure this is because the floor shifted a bit. I think there is room for adjusting the floor a bit - the starboard straps are different from the port straps.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

foxyloxey Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 19
Joined: 15 Jul 2020, 07:06
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 15hp 2 stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Selby
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Bombard Aerotec 380 - The BAT

Post by foxyloxey » 13 Jul 2021, 17:45

Hi,
I had this issue with my aerotec and I took it back to the dealers, who shipped it back to France for a mod.
It's only since the transom parted company due to the age and I've rebonded it, I've discovered what they did.
The glued a piece of wedge shaped rubber to the bottom of the transom and covered it with pvc fabric.
Attachments
16261982600137264262738047159141.jpg
These users thanked the author foxyloxey for the post:
daiquiri (09 Nov 2021, 15:18)

daiquiri Hungary
I'm New
Posts: 5
Joined: 09 Nov 2021, 12:08
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Budapest
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Bombard Aerotec 380 - The BAT

Post by daiquiri » 09 Nov 2021, 12:17

foxyloxey wrote: ↑
13 Jul 2021, 17:45
Hi,
I had this issue with my aerotec and I took it back to the dealers, who shipped it back to France for a mod.
It's only since the transom parted company due to the age and I've rebonded it, I've discovered what they did.
The glued a piece of wedge shaped rubber to the bottom of the transom and covered it with pvc fabric.
Wow, I'm really surprised this post did not get any questions or responses! After all these years of Aerotec splashing issues, hundreds of posts about people trying to hack the transom height, someone shows up with an actual factory mod that's a completely different approach from anything else before - and no questions?? :o
I really hope you are still around to tell us more about this mod, as you may well be the only one on any of the internet forums with a factory fix for the Aerotec splashing problem.

Can you please share some more details about this? Did it fix the issue? If so, did it fix it completely, or just improved it a little? Did it affect performance in any noticeable way? Could you please share a few more images if you have the time, from a few angles, so it could be reproduced as a home DIY project? I wonder how tall this wedge is and what shape is it exactly. Is the cross-section rounded is it a triangle with straight edges? From the image it seems like it's giving some downward-facing edge to the end of the keel, directing the water flow downwards but I'm not sure I'm seeing it correctly based on this one photo alone.

Please do tell us more, this is a true gold nugget!
These users thanked the author daiquiri for the post:
foxyloxey (03 Jan 2023, 07:47)

Post Reply

Return to “Bombard Inflatables”