Easy-Motor-Toter

All things outboard related here!
4 Stroke, 2 Stroke & Electric
Bigplumbs
Veteran Member
Posts: 467
Joined: 02 Sep 2017, 06:10
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Suffolk UK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Easy-Motor-Toter

Post by Bigplumbs » 12 Apr 2021, 12:50

rogerblack wrote: ↑
12 Apr 2021, 09:15
Bigplumbs wrote: ↑
12 Apr 2021, 08:25
I know a bloke that did a very easy conversion to a golf trolly it folds up very small and is light and works well with up to 15hp weight
I have exactly that model of folding golf trolley sitting in my garage unused and had often wondered about converting it to carry my 15hp outboard. Do you know what he did to convert it?
It is a Titlist Turfglider. The mod was incredibly easy and next to nothing:

1) Open it up and make the wheels square to the direction of travel. Tie some strong thin rope or parachord between the two wheel axels to stop them splaying outwards
2) Get some pipe insulation and fix to the bottom supports.
3) Put a Bungee around the bottom supports (I think the original trolley had one anyway)
4) Put some form of padding where the engine hood will rest
5) Extend the strap at the top that went round the top of the golf bag to fit around the engine at the top

Jobs a gooden
These users thanked the author Bigplumbs for the post:
rogerblack (12 Apr 2021, 15:27)

User avatar
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 884
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495
Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Easy-Motor-Toter

Post by rogerblack » 12 Apr 2021, 15:32

Thanks Dennis, sounds fairly straightforward, I'll give it a go when I'm back down south.
When I last tried it I was attempting to have the engine with the transom mount nearest the cart. Looking at the pic you posted, having it laid on its side seems much more workable.
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

Bigplumbs
Veteran Member
Posts: 467
Joined: 02 Sep 2017, 06:10
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Suffolk UK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Easy-Motor-Toter

Post by Bigplumbs » 12 Apr 2021, 16:22

Yes It seems quite stable as it is towed along. You just have to take it slowly and sometimes if the ground gets a little bumpy just have one hand on the cart handle and the other on the cowl/engine

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Easy-Motor-Toter

Post by harrison » 12 Apr 2021, 17:23

Sorry guys, the golf trolley conversion looks seriously iffy for a circa 44kg four stroke motor.
May your god be with you if you go down that route. One hand on the cart and one on the motor....classic.

Also no help whatsoever easing loading/sliding in the car as op’s original requirement.
These users thanked the author harrison for the post:
DaveRolph (12 Apr 2021, 19:14)
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

Bigplumbs
Veteran Member
Posts: 467
Joined: 02 Sep 2017, 06:10
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Suffolk UK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Easy-Motor-Toter

Post by Bigplumbs » 12 Apr 2021, 20:52

harrison wrote: ↑
12 Apr 2021, 17:23
Sorry guys, the golf trolley conversion looks seriously iffy for a circa 44kg four stroke motor.
May your god be with you if you go down that route. One hand on the cart and one on the motor....classic.

Also no help whatsoever easing loading/sliding in the car as op’s original requirement.
But I have used it and it works very well, looks can be deceptive:

Advantages:

1) I had one already and no longer needed it. Zero cost
2) If you want your golf trolley back it is easy to do
3) It fits in the car folded and takes no space at all
4) It carry's the motor very well indeed. C of G is quite low
5) On good ground you can tow it with one hand only
6) It is repurposing something always good and fun to do.
7) it is very light
8) you can wheel it to the boot of the car and slide the top of the motor in first then lift the base up and in
9) Wheels don't get punctures like some of the standard sack barrows

And on a side note I think most other outboard trolleys especially those made from a sack barrows need both hands to move all the time and very few fit in the car easily. I know I have two that I made from sack barrows. So experience of both sorts and 2 other purpose made ones bought from Ebay
These users thanked the author Bigplumbs for the post:
rogerblack (12 Apr 2021, 21:58)

User avatar
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 884
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495
Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Easy-Motor-Toter

Post by rogerblack » 12 Apr 2021, 21:49

My 15hp 2-st is lighter than the 4-st at around 34kg so should be OK

I currently use a modified version of one similar to that shown in the pic below, to which I've added small castor wheels on the end of the handles so I can tilt it up and wheel in and out of the boot, also used wing nuts so it folds down easier, however as said above it needs two hands and is bulkier even when folded.

So I'd like to have a crack at converting the golf trolley to see if that's better and as also said above, I've got it anyway so nothing to lose. Since I have the old style T32 I have the dogleg wobbly granny style wheels which struggle to cope with the weight of the outboard as well as fuel tanks and all the other gear in the boat so I tend to take to take the engine from the transport to the bottom of the slipway separately and the big wide wheels and single handle on the golf trolley would make this easier. I might even look at making an adaptor to also attach it to the painter D-ring at the front of the boat to make moving that easier too.

I'd still use the one below as a storage and workshop dolly, particularly since it takes a large plastic waste bin for flushing etc. within the frame

cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

Oldman England
Advanced Member
Posts: 248
Joined: 12 Jun 2020, 10:41
Boat Make: Elling KB350 SIB
Outboard: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Location: North Kent
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Easy-Motor-Toter

Post by Oldman » 12 Apr 2021, 22:22

castorhandle2.jpg
You mean like this? Your pic was missing so I added one ;)

User avatar
DaveRolph
Active Member
Posts: 134
Joined: 18 Apr 2017, 12:18
Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: Suzuki DF15AS
Location: Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Easy-Motor-Toter

Post by DaveRolph » 13 Apr 2021, 05:52

So this is all really interesting and I love the ingenuity.

The problem is I work 7 days a week and don't have time to make one, I was looking to purchase one like the easy-motor-toter but can't find anything online.

Remember, the purpose was to make it easier on my back getting it from the Garage round the back and being able to service it. Then the next plan was to use the same Trolley to load the car, the one I had saw wheels at both ends which makes it look a lot easier for the car but thinking about it further (And also like the converted sack barrow idea) they will be very bulky on top of the already bulky Engine.

I really appreciate all the replies and I am sure it will help others but I am afraid I have decided to stick with the Wheelie Bin and hope my back holds out when loading in the car.

User avatar
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 884
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495
Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Easy-Motor-Toter

Post by rogerblack » 13 Apr 2021, 12:19

Mine are nowhere near as robust as yours, Oldman, but they don't really take any weight, just make it easier when I tilt it up to go in or out of the boot:
wheels.jpg
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Easy-Motor-Toter

Post by harrison » 13 Apr 2021, 17:31

DaveRolph wrote: ↑
13 Apr 2021, 05:52
Remember, the purpose was to make it easier on my back getting it from the Garage round the back and being able to service it. Then the next plan was to use the same Trolley to load the car, the one I had saw wheels at both ends which makes it look a lot easier for the car but thinking about it further (And also like the converted sack barrow idea) they will be very bulky on top of the already bulky Engine.

Lots of different and good suggestions toted here.

Don’t compare the bulk of the otherwise excellent Motor Toter with a converted sack truck...much more compact...also a 2 in 1 sack truck already has small front/top castors (for sliding into car) so no conversion apart from a timber board required.

Another suggestion if you just need ease of sliding into car only, is knock up something basic like this.

2B6B28F4-DFD7-4886-9C45-AFF0958182C3.jpeg

CDE0E775-DB21-49C3-9AEE-5C01F910638C.jpeg

Originally conceived for our brute of a Mariner 20 efi, which now lives permanently on a trailered boat, pics show a 3.5 for illustration purposes. Keeps power head elevated, and takes the strain off manhandling into car. Only use this now for loading Barsteward 20 into car at dealer device time.
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

Post Reply

Return to “Outboards”