Page 1 of 1
Removing launch wheels from honwave
Posted: 12 Dec 2017, 16:45
by Rossymtb
As some of you may know I'm not exactly happy with the launch wheels I purchased for my t38. Considering removing them and buying one of those 200kg folding launch trolleys? Whats you view?
If I am taking them of my boat. Do I A. Just put the bolts in the holes I have made or B. (This is what i would like to do most) fill the holes up with a resin of some sort colour matched to the transom... If this is possible?
Or there's a option c. Someone can buy my near new t38 with launch wheels (which aren't the best) for let's say £950 and I can place another order for another t38 without wheels hehe
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Posted: 12 Dec 2017, 18:46
by Andy B
If it was me, i'd just leave the bolts in.
Any repair is always going to look like a repair and on the plus side when you come to sell the boat you can sell it with the option to refit the wheels and not have to explane the repair job...
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Posted: 12 Dec 2017, 19:30
by chris moody
Drill out the bolt holes, insert cylindrical wood plug of slightly less diameter coated in Sikaflex, countersink both sides once dry, then fill with gelcoat / flowcoat.
That’s what a professional boat builder did on my rib when the new outboard needed different holes in the transom for mounting.
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Posted: 12 Dec 2017, 21:04
by Martin
Is it a case of the wheels you have are crap or do you genuinely think they’re not needed?
There’s some p!ss poor sets about at the moment, but there’s no way I would have been without mine on my old Honwave, worth their weight in gold imo

Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Posted: 13 Dec 2017, 07:21
by Rossymtb
Some good replies thanks and things to think about.
Martin I certainly need the wheels or trolley alike. But these ones fitted are a bit rubbish. So far I have changed the pins to shaft locking agricultural ones to try and beef it up. but still not performing anything like the old drop down ones on a straight transom without planing tabs. (That's what I was use to)
I also came up with the idea of some sort thread bar attached left & right wheels which could stabilise them and be easy enough to remove with two wing nuts.
I do love the boat and it performs like no other I've ever had but the wheels I dislike.
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Posted: 13 Dec 2017, 17:05
by Martin
Yup, I get you completely.
Unfortunately many outlets are selling the very poor lightweight wheels, trust me- the ones on Kamans T38 are very substantial. A good quality source is needed I think.
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Posted: 16 Dec 2017, 13:37
by pedro916
I have just bought a t32ie honwave so I will be making my own wheels rather than waste money on poor quality ones, it would be handy if someone kind soul could supply me with some approximate dimensions is mounting plate sizes etc .
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Posted: 16 Dec 2017, 19:20
by Rossymtb
pedro916 wrote:I have just bought a t32ie honwave so I will be making my own wheels rather than waste money on poor quality ones, it would be handy if someone kind soul could supply me with some approximate dimensions is mounting plate sizes etc .
With a t32 or t38 I wouldn't bother copying the standard launch wheels.
Either invent your own new ones entirely or buy a half decent launch trolley.
But will be getting my boat out soon to try and improve. If you want pics and measurements I can get some for you. But it's a t38 not t32
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Posted: 17 Dec 2017, 17:02
by Paul B
Rossymtb wrote:pedro916 wrote:I have just bought a t32ie honwave so I will be making my own wheels rather than waste money on poor quality ones, it would be handy if someone kind soul could supply me with some approximate dimensions is mounting plate sizes etc .
With a t32 or t38 I wouldn't bother copying the standard launch wheels.
Either invent your own new ones entirely or buy a half decent launch trolley.
But will be getting my boat out soon to try and improve. If you want pics and measurements I can get some for you. But it's a t38 not t32
The wheels are identical for both hulls, it’s just the position of them is wider on the T38
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Posted: 20 Dec 2017, 11:58
by PhilD
Pete ..are you stalking me ?lol.
For the time being I am using my c-tug with sand trax wheels as I bought the arib with trim tabs..the wheels are a tad pricey at Xmas.