Page 1 of 3
Honwave. Which one?
Posted: 29 Jul 2017, 21:00
by Ian 71
Help. I'm looking at buying a new Hon Wave and can't decide on the T38 air V Floor, or the T40 alloy deck.
Which one is the most stable? I shall mainly use it on the estuary and out into the sea a little. I have a2006 Mercury 9.9hp four stroke, most of the time will be three adults, but would this be suitable for five adults occasionally or would it struggle? I do not have room for a trailer, but have an estate car, so plenty of room to carry.
What are the advantages / disadvantages over the two types of floor on these boats anybody.
Any advice appreciated.
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Posted: 29 Jul 2017, 21:39
by Paul
Hi Ian and

to the forum
Both are good handling craft but the weight and setting up time between them are huge in ease of use
The T40ae is longer, has larger tubes, a hard deck but heavy and owners find it's weight and setting up tiresome so many end up trailering.
The T38ie setting up time is approximately half that of the T40, obviously lighter to man handle and easier to transport and store.
With your current OB and loading the T38 is the most likely of the two to get onto the plane

however with the extra weight of the T40 this may not be possible

..... any idea of these 'adult' weights

Good to have you aboard and great you're doing research before spending your money

Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Posted: 29 Jul 2017, 22:05
by Martin
Welcome aboard Ian
As said, the Honwaves are exceptional sibs with a great following and superb build quality .
Both the T38ie and the T40ae have 44cm tubes. iirc the T40 allows for a 30hp outboard and a 20hp for the T38. The T40 weighs in around the 85kg mark and only 48kg for the T38.
The high pressure floor on the T38 is very substantial but does have a deep v at the bow fading to a shallow V at the transom end inside the craft where as the T40 will give you a completely flat floor inboard.
With your probability of load I too think the T40 will really struggle with your current outboard and you may struggle to get the T38 up and in the plane too.. I'd guess the T38 would be your best bet but be prepared for displacement speeds.
The T38 requires the hooked type launch wheels to pass the floor inbuilt trim tabs, the T40 doesn't have these tabs so general launch wheels are available.
Overall, a tricky decision due to load and outboard power.
Martin

Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Posted: 30 Jul 2017, 08:41
by Andy B
The T40 is a bit of a brute and unless storage is an issue it's hard to see the advantages of it over a 4m RIB.
Especially if it's going to be kept on a trailer...
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Posted: 30 Jul 2017, 10:14
by Martin
I'm inclined to agree Andy, That sized/weight sib is a mammoth brute unless trailering....
If its always going to be trailered, unless its a money thing then perhaps you're better off buying a small rib...
As Ian doesn't have storage room for a trailer, I'd expect the T38ie or a Frib 375 (cost permitting) would suit his needs better.
Ian, are you aware of the folding ribs ?
Have a chat with the guys at
http://foldablerib.com/
(
Steve or Ricky - Don't forget to mention our forum please )
I'd expect the 9,9hp performing a little better on a frib, can't see any reason why that wouldn't plane 3 up...
Martin 
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Posted: 30 Jul 2017, 11:06
by Paul B
I think both sibs will struggle with 3+ adults, with that engine, the T38 will have the best performance, but even that won't be great,
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Posted: 30 Jul 2017, 18:00
by Ian 71
Thank's people's for the reply / help.
Looks like the T38 is best buy for me. When i said three adults, the one is a 13 year old ( coming on 23 ) Teenager, so carrying shouldn't really be a problem, for him!!!!!!!!! and if it won't get up on the plane, Then him or the wife shall have to walk the plank.
Sometimes my stepson and his wife come along too, so will need to be able to fit them in, just for messing about up and down Fowey esturary really. Evenings are for just two of us to go fishing and then getting it on the plane.
The transom wheels aren't cheap though, is it ok for two people to carry without them? Also, If the 10 HP is underpowered, I can always replace it for a 20.
Cheers guy's.
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Posted: 30 Jul 2017, 18:05
by Paul B
You can get a set of wheels on eBay for around £130
, I posted a link a few days ago on another post
Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Posted: 30 Jul 2017, 20:16
by kaman
Hi Ian
I can only echo the advice pointing you toward the t3.8.
I have a t3.8 and a 3.5ae ally deck Honwave.
The 3.5ae is a bit smaller and lighter than the 4.0ae - however mine's is permanently trailered as I soon tired wrestling it during set up and put away.
I have powered both sibs using a Tohatsu 20hp.
The air deck t3.8 is a good bit quicker and a bit lessential harsh on the bones when a chop kicks up.
Both cracking Sibs but I reckon the air deck will tick more boxes for your requirements

Re: Hon wave. Which one?
Posted: 31 Jul 2017, 18:43
by chris moody
If you want to keep the 10hp buy a honwave t32ie, but that will only carry 2 / 3 people. If you want more space get the T38ie, but I think you will need a 15hp to get that performing reasonably well. It's all a compromise