Help required about trailer please

solarsurfer
Boat Make: Honwave T40
Outboard: Suzuki 20HP efi
MMSI Number: 10

Re: Help required about trailer please

Post by solarsurfer » 04 Nov 2018, 14:58

Thought I would update this.

Got an email from the dealer (On a Sunday!) and no problem to sort out. Extreme are going to deliver the proper one and collect the old one from my house. I think that's about as best a service as you can get ! :yay

Obvious I'll have to pay for the bigger one, but that's not a problem.

harrison
Supporting Member
Boat Make: XS500, Bic Sportyak
Outboard: Mariner 60, Mariner 3.5, Honda 2.3

Post by harrison » 04 Nov 2018, 18:08

Well that’s a result, good to hear as the 350 is ‘waaay’ too short. :o

Have to say though, why oh why go the Extreme route with all the trailer recommendations you got in previous thread. The ‘Indys’ are far superior/better value even without factoring in the forum discount.

For strapping down, bang in some towing eyes/u-bolts on rear of transom. Perfect for securing to trailer and even more useful for towing toys/skiers etc. :thumbsup
These users thanked the author harrison for the post:
chris moody (04 Nov 2018, 18:24)

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 04 Nov 2018, 19:52

Indespension have been updating their website just of late, i guess solarsurfer was unlucky at his time of browsing and got a 404 page :Confused
I agree, the Indespension are very good trailers, hence the deal... But if solarsurfer is happy with his choice, and Extreme are doing that for him - then that's all good :clappy

The lifting eyes on the honwave are of the cone type fitting iirc, moving them to the opposite side of the transom would require countersinking which i guess will make the hole way too large.. of course they could have changed them since the last time i checked..

Martin :thumbsup
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

solarsurfer

Post by solarsurfer » 06 Nov 2018, 09:39

Yea Martin, I got an error "Cannot deliver to your country" I think it was 505 error. Actually, I prefer the extreme trailer, and it has a decent transom support, and much longer and wider bunks.

At the time, I couldn't find any info about the Indespension trailers, and I think I would still buy what I have done.

I am more concerned about getting car back from the dealer who recently done 12k worth of work under warranty. They have had it for 2 months now, and the dealer is holding it to ransom while he waits for payment, which is nothing to do with me.

solarsurfer

Post by solarsurfer » 08 Nov 2018, 15:05

New trailer turned up yesterday.
Man who sold it to me suggested the long bunks should be placed half on the floor and half on the tubes, is he correct ?
Underneath the boat is sort of v shaped where the floor joins the tubs, if this happens its difficult for the bunks to fit properly.

Any suggestions ?

harrison
Supporting Member

Post by harrison » 08 Nov 2018, 16:51

Good to hear you’ve got trailer sorted.

Personal preference but for our aluminium floor sib we found it best to set bunks just inboard (only a few mm’s) of tube/floor joint, so they are under the aluminium floor. This way they directly support and take the weight of the floor (a weighty component) and make it easy to centre boat on trailer as tubes hang slightly lower. We also positioned the boat so bunks projected just past transom for support. I realise you have a transom pad but supporting transom at ends will be a bonus.

We also found it best to reduce air pressure in sausage keel for storage as sat better on bunks with less stress on hull membrane.

If you’re keeping motor mounted probably best to only reduce pressure in tubes to around 0.15 bar for storage. This should be enough to adequately support transom and also accommodate any temperature fluctuations. Run at near full pressure for towing.

Although only a launching trolley,and four bunks, the pic below just shows the outer bunks right at the edge of floor joint while still supporting transom.
3A586CC3-5BE9-4A89-920B-2D65A9793AC8.jpeg
Zodiac 350
solarsurfer (09 Nov 2018, 09:46)

solarsurfer

Post by solarsurfer » 09 Nov 2018, 09:53

Thanks for that advice
After a bit more buggering about, and checking the hull, I found the best solution was to make the front of the long bunk 50/50 floor and tube, and the back mostly floor. This has taken tons of "bounce" away from the tubes, and it just seems to sit better.

The back of the transom is now supported by both the bunks, and they are modifying the transom mini bunk for me, to make it 50mm ish higher so I have some adjustment. :clappy

I thought I would strap it at the front from the lifting eyes, and the back of the transom lifting eyes by going over the top of the transom, seems easier. I was also considering using a couple of the lifting handles on the sides of the tubes.

Gunna put the engine on tomorrow and see how that sits.

harrison
Supporting Member

Post by harrison » 09 Nov 2018, 18:20

Cool. Sounds like your almost sorted. Be great to see some pics with the Suzi 20 mounted. It’s a real gem of a motor.

So, when’s the maiden voyage? :thumbsup
solarsurfer (10 Nov 2018, 05:50)

solarsurfer

Post by solarsurfer » 10 Nov 2018, 05:48

Yea, ill post some today if we get timr.

Hopefully going out next weekend on the river Orewell, just upsteam from the big ships at Felixstowe, just to get used to it without any fishing etc. We still need to run the engine in, so we thought this a decent place, even though the tide does rip in at some places, but its no Bristol chanel. Then we thought we would go out at North Norfolk at a little place Burnham Overy Staithe hopefully the weekend after. Here, some places at low tide, if you get caught up out at sea,, you can jump out the boat and push lol ! :thumbsup

solarsurfer

Post by solarsurfer » 10 Nov 2018, 12:44

Just put the beast on the back !
DSCF2183.JPG
DSCF2185.JPG
DSCF2184.JPG
Looks like it will hang ok, plenty of room below. Just ordered outboard motor padlock.

Return to “Honwave”