Removing launch wheels from honwave
-
Rossymtb
- Active Member
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 07 May 2017, 20:00
- Boat Make: Honwave T38
- Outboard: Parsun 9.8
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: North Wales
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 10 times
Removing launch wheels from honwave
As some of you may know I'm not exactly happy with the launch wheels I purchased for my t38. Considering removing them and buying one of those 200kg folding launch trolleys? Whats you view?
If I am taking them of my boat. Do I A. Just put the bolts in the holes I have made or B. (This is what i would like to do most) fill the holes up with a resin of some sort colour matched to the transom... If this is possible?
Or there's a option c. Someone can buy my near new t38 with launch wheels (which aren't the best) for let's say £950 and I can place another order for another t38 without wheels hehe
If I am taking them of my boat. Do I A. Just put the bolts in the holes I have made or B. (This is what i would like to do most) fill the holes up with a resin of some sort colour matched to the transom... If this is possible?
Or there's a option c. Someone can buy my near new t38 with launch wheels (which aren't the best) for let's say £950 and I can place another order for another t38 without wheels hehe
-
Andy B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1825
- Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
- Location: lost in space
- Has thanked: 78 times
- Been thanked: 252 times
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
If it was me, i'd just leave the bolts in.
Any repair is always going to look like a repair and on the plus side when you come to sell the boat you can sell it with the option to refit the wheels and not have to explane the repair job...
Any repair is always going to look like a repair and on the plus side when you come to sell the boat you can sell it with the option to refit the wheels and not have to explane the repair job...
-
chris moody
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2348
- Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
- Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
- Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
- MMSI Number: 235900806
- Location: Braunston
- Has thanked: 146 times
- Been thanked: 443 times
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Drill out the bolt holes, insert cylindrical wood plug of slightly less diameter coated in Sikaflex, countersink both sides once dry, then fill with gelcoat / flowcoat.
That’s what a professional boat builder did on my rib when the new outboard needed different holes in the transom for mounting.
That’s what a professional boat builder did on my rib when the new outboard needed different holes in the transom for mounting.
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Is it a case of the wheels you have are crap or do you genuinely think they’re not needed?
There’s some p!ss poor sets about at the moment, but there’s no way I would have been without mine on my old Honwave, worth their weight in gold imo
There’s some p!ss poor sets about at the moment, but there’s no way I would have been without mine on my old Honwave, worth their weight in gold imo
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
Rossymtb
- Active Member
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 07 May 2017, 20:00
- Boat Make: Honwave T38
- Outboard: Parsun 9.8
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: North Wales
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 10 times
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Some good replies thanks and things to think about.
Martin I certainly need the wheels or trolley alike. But these ones fitted are a bit rubbish. So far I have changed the pins to shaft locking agricultural ones to try and beef it up. but still not performing anything like the old drop down ones on a straight transom without planing tabs. (That's what I was use to)
I also came up with the idea of some sort thread bar attached left & right wheels which could stabilise them and be easy enough to remove with two wing nuts.
I do love the boat and it performs like no other I've ever had but the wheels I dislike.
Martin I certainly need the wheels or trolley alike. But these ones fitted are a bit rubbish. So far I have changed the pins to shaft locking agricultural ones to try and beef it up. but still not performing anything like the old drop down ones on a straight transom without planing tabs. (That's what I was use to)
I also came up with the idea of some sort thread bar attached left & right wheels which could stabilise them and be easy enough to remove with two wing nuts.
I do love the boat and it performs like no other I've ever had but the wheels I dislike.
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Yup, I get you completely.
Unfortunately many outlets are selling the very poor lightweight wheels, trust me- the ones on Kamans T38 are very substantial. A good quality source is needed I think.
Unfortunately many outlets are selling the very poor lightweight wheels, trust me- the ones on Kamans T38 are very substantial. A good quality source is needed I think.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
pedro916
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 28
- Joined: 12 Oct 2017, 16:58
- Boat Make: Honwave T32 ie
- Outboard: Honda bf10
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Pontefract , west yorks
- Has thanked: 11 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
I have just bought a t32ie honwave so I will be making my own wheels rather than waste money on poor quality ones, it would be handy if someone kind soul could supply me with some approximate dimensions is mounting plate sizes etc .
-
Rossymtb
- Active Member
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 07 May 2017, 20:00
- Boat Make: Honwave T38
- Outboard: Parsun 9.8
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: North Wales
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 10 times
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
With a t32 or t38 I wouldn't bother copying the standard launch wheels.pedro916 wrote:I have just bought a t32ie honwave so I will be making my own wheels rather than waste money on poor quality ones, it would be handy if someone kind soul could supply me with some approximate dimensions is mounting plate sizes etc .
Either invent your own new ones entirely or buy a half decent launch trolley.
But will be getting my boat out soon to try and improve. If you want pics and measurements I can get some for you. But it's a t38 not t32
-
Paul B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2065
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
- Location: UK
- Has thanked: 172 times
- Been thanked: 276 times
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
The wheels are identical for both hulls, it’s just the position of them is wider on the T38Rossymtb wrote:With a t32 or t38 I wouldn't bother copying the standard launch wheels.pedro916 wrote:I have just bought a t32ie honwave so I will be making my own wheels rather than waste money on poor quality ones, it would be handy if someone kind soul could supply me with some approximate dimensions is mounting plate sizes etc .
Either invent your own new ones entirely or buy a half decent launch trolley.
But will be getting my boat out soon to try and improve. If you want pics and measurements I can get some for you. But it's a t38 not t32
Re: Removing launch wheels from honwave
Pete ..are you stalking me ?lol.
For the time being I am using my c-tug with sand trax wheels as I bought the arib with trim tabs..the wheels are a tad pricey at Xmas.
For the time being I am using my c-tug with sand trax wheels as I bought the arib with trim tabs..the wheels are a tad pricey at Xmas.



