F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - Parts for old outboards

Parts for old outboards

All things outboard related here!
4 Stroke, 2 Stroke & Electric

Parts for old outboards

Postby Phil » 12 May 2018, 19:57

I mentioned on another post that the tiller throttle twist grip fell apart and off my Johnson outboard coming in to harbour on the BH Monday. I nursed the F-RIB back the 4 miles to the launching slip using a baiting needle to control the throttle cable!

After spending £26 on a small spring for the old OB a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't expecting the parts I needed to reassemble the twist grip and get it working again to be cheap. However, having done a bit of research, I'm shocked at the cost for what is a couple of small pieces of plastic and metal :o!

The parts from the twist-grip assembly I can re-use are on the left hand side of the below picture; the parts I need to buy are on the right - another metal roller and guide to sit on the other end of the throttle pin (I lost a set in the boat), a set of helix halves as the plastic grip detents snapped off the old ones, a new throttle control plate as most of the plastic rim which clips in to the twist grip has snapped off and a new throttle end cap (part of the old one has snapped off too):

Twist-grip parts 3_LI.jpg

As I've marked up in the picture, these parts are coming in at an incredible £165.90 to order in from a UK Johnson dealer. I've snooped around on E-Bay and I can get some of the parts cheaper if I buy them individually from overseas (mainly the US), but the saving isn't that significant after postage and they involve a wait for shipping and can't be returned if they turn out to be for the wrong OB model.

Can you guys advise if this is the sort of parts cost I should brace myself to expect for the ongoing maintenance of an older 2-stroke? Paying £190 (more than 20% of what I bought the outboard for) in a month on a couple of small parts doesn't seem to make much economic sense to me; especially if I could be faced with similar costs in the future.

It does make the thought of a new outboard seem a lot more attractive. Although that means the extra size, weight and side storage-only of a 4-stroke which will be a struggle to work with my transport and portable set-up, or the commercial use restrictions of a new 2-stroke :scratch...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Mercury-2-Two- ... 1628681794
F-RIB 360 with F-RIB wheels, seat cushions and bag and Scotty rod rests
15hp 1992 Johnson GT 10 2-stroke
Phil
Advanced Member

Boat Make: F-RIB 360
Outboard: 15hp 1992 Johnson GT 10
MMSI Number: 10

Re: Parts for old outboards

Postby Paul » 12 May 2018, 20:39

Yup hear what you're saying Phil ;-) .....oh the 'joy' of owning a 'classic' :|
If memory serves me right James replaced his whole tiller assembly due to a gear fault so he's got the rest of the' bits and bobs' you require (hopefully) so hold up until you've asked him :!:
Give him a PM to enquire :thumbsup

Andy B is also a source of OB parts or a replacement OB so he's also worth a PM :idea:

Hope you get it sorted at a reasonable cost, failing that the Tohatsu and Suzuki 20hp weighing in at 43/44kg respectively are rather attractive :whistle and get a FRIB 360 going like the clappers around 28knots :drive
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!
Paul
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Postby Andy B » 12 May 2018, 20:52

Unfortunatly JonnyRude stuff isn't really my area of expertise.
but i'm sure there's a fix that'll cost less than that!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-EVIN ... SwCmZZS85F

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outboard-Til ... Swm3Ba7u-Z
SOLENT
Waveline 2.3m/3.3hp Mariner
Zodiac 380/Yamaha F8, Mariner 9.9 smoker
Andy B
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Zodiac 380
Outboard: Mariner 9.9hp/Mariner 3.3hp
MMSI Number: 0

Postby Paul » 12 May 2018, 21:35

Andy B wrote:Unfortunatly JonnyRude stuff isn't really my area of expertise.

Nice one Andy :clappy
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!
Paul
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Postby Phil » 13 May 2018, 17:49

Paul wrote:If memory serves me right James replaced his whole tiller assembly due to a gear fault so he's got the rest of the' bits and bobs' you require (hopefully) so hold up until you've asked him :!:

Nice one, thanks for the heads-up Paul. I've dropped James a PM. Hopefully he kept the original parts and is open to selling them to me :).

Paul wrote:the Tohatsu and Suzuki 20hp weighing in at 43/44kg respectively are rather attractive :whistle and get a FRIB 360 going like the clappers around 28knots :drive

Yes, these are very tempting. If I went down the 4-stroke route, I'd need to do a bit of research on whether I could get one on top of the F-RIB lying flat in the boot of my Landy without crippling myself, damaging the fiberglass hull of the boat, the sump oil going where it shouldn't, or the outboard going through a window when I went round a corner :scratch!

I see you can get fancy padded bags for the Suzuki which perhaps make it easier to lift and give it and the boat some protection, but potentially tilt it the wrong way to keep the oil where it should be if lifting by the handles:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outboard-Mot ... Swax5YvqgE
Phil
Advanced Member

Postby Phil » 13 May 2018, 18:02

Andy B wrote:Unfortunatly JonnyRude stuff isn't really my area of expertise.

Many thanks for finding these Andy. Very much appreciated :thumbsup :TY.

I'd actually stumbled upon the first link myself, but the kit is missing a couple of the parts I need and the assembly in the diagram looks slightly different to the original on my OB - there's no throttle control plate or end cap (and my originals of these parts are broken) and there's no idle adjustment knob.

The second link looks like a different model to my OB, but perhaps the sort of thing in kits like the above and the tiller arm in this link are similar enough to make work with my model of OB without going down the official dealer OEM part ordering route :idea:. I'll do some more scavenging on eBay if I can't buy the parts from James :).

Cheers,

Phil
Phil
Advanced Member

Postby James » 15 May 2018, 23:49

I still need to look and see if I have the parts. I know I am missing a metal bit as my engine didn't come with it. All my boat stuff is scattered all over the place in the loft due to extension work on the house. I'll try and get up there this week.

Parts for these engines are getting rare and expensive. When I see a part going for a good price (ie someone breaking an engine), I snap them up. So far, I have spare for most of the electrical system
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid
James
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355

Postby Phil » 16 May 2018, 07:56

James wrote:All my boat stuff is scattered all over the place in the loft due to extension work on the house. I'll try and get up there this week.

Thanks James. Very much appreciated. Sorry, didn’t realise you’d need to get up in to your loft to look for the parts! I certainly didn’t want to put you out mate.

In fact, don't worry if you don’t get round to it. If you haven’t had any joy in the week, I’ll probably bite the bullet and order the parts from the dealer on Friday as there’s a bit of a lead time and I’m keen to get the OB up and running in time for heading down to the south coast with the family for the BH weekend. And it sounds like it it wouldn’t be a bad thing you having the extra spares for your OB given the expensive parts situation.

I think I can do without a new throttle end cap which controls the idle speed as only a small piece of plastic has snapped off this which doesn’t come in contact with the adjuster knob. It should work fine with the old part. Not having the end cap brings the price down to £127. Still a lot, but actually cheaper than buying new parts individually from eBay.

Cheers,

Phil
Phil
Advanced Member

Postby James » 19 May 2018, 00:11

James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid
James
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355

Postby Phil » 19 May 2018, 17:56

Many thanks for the link mate. This kit doesn’t include the throttle control plate, so would have ended up a little more expensive buying that and the other part separately, although it comes with a new grip.

I ended up ordering the parts from the Johnson dealer. They’re due to arrive next week so, although they came out at a lot more than I thought I’d need to spend, at least I’ll be back on the water for the bank holiday :). I missed being at sea today with the lovely weather we’re enjoying.

Cheers,

Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phil
Advanced Member

Return to Outboards