The Bar...
Chat about anything here (within reason) Please keep it polite and PC
Boatmanjohn123
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Decisions

Post by Boatmanjohn123 » 08 Oct 2017, 12:59

Hi all, I have the honwave t35. Lovly little sib am very happy with it. I'm abit un decided on what to do tho. My outboard is a Honda 20 which I'm sure your all aware is very heavy. I struggle single handed lifting it on and off putting in car to transport etc. I'm wondering whether to swap my little rig for something I can tow with outboard on boat but I don't really want to up size boats as my honwave size suits me. Perhaps a dory or something? Ideas?

Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Re: Decisions

Post by Paul B » 08 Oct 2017, 14:48

Why don’t you just tow the Honwave and leave the engine on the transom, as long as you’ve got a support under the transom and strap the engine to the trailer to stop it bouncing it will be fine :thumbsup

The Gurnard
Super Poster
Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP

Post by The Gurnard » 08 Oct 2017, 15:37

Yup..I would agree with Paul B ..if you are happy with the Honwave.. just tow it with the OB secured..many do it. :thumbsup

However if you fancy a change of boat to a hard shell..that’s a different kettle of fish. :D

You mention “Dory” which to me .. is a general term for a flatish bottom cathedral hull type boat. My uncle and then his son were great fans of the original Dell Quay Dory of the 80’s. They no longer make that brand..but there are plenty second hand ones still around. Started around 11ft long for the smaller size if I recall correct ?

My thoughts are..be wary as they had a bit of a design flaw. They slam a lot and they were made from two parts..molded along a central line. They were filled with foam and called unsinkable. The seam often split with the constant slamming and then the foam soaked up water which made them very heavy..so if buying a second hand one.. check its weight. They were also long shaft so you will need another outboard..though you would probably buy that with the boat as a second hand package. One that if still watertight so its not heavy would be a good boat.

Orkney still do a nice Dory ..but at 4.3m long is bigger than you want . Its heavy too ..and long shaft OB

Lots of newer type boats now replace the old dory’s eg Whaly boats.. Funyaks ..and they are all made of rotamould plastic..so built to last. IMO..they all suffer the same problem as the original Dell Quay Dory’s..they slam in a chop...and they take long shaft OB’s..so you will need to sell off your outfit and get a whole new setup. They are also heavy to launch and retrieve.

Highfield and Ribeye make nice aluminium hull boats with tubes.. like small RIBs ..as do F-Rib..they are all expensive but light hulls. They take short shafts so you could keep your Honda for them.

So going by your like of the Honwave T35 .. I think I would stick with what you have and get a trailer. Plenty of choice if you want to change it though :thumbsup

Andy B England

Post by Andy B » 08 Oct 2017, 18:21

As a Dory owner myself in days gone by i will add they are a bit of a Marmite boat.
I loved mine, but i was fully aware of it's limitations. as stated they can slam in choppy weather!
And the foam is defiantly something to be aware of when buying a second hand Dory...
If you have the space to store a sub 4m boat on a trailer then personally i would go for a small RIB.
There are some good options available to you and the performance of the solid hull over a sib will give you a good return on your horse power.
Also many sub 4m RIB's will take a short shaft OB.

Avon Rover RIB's are available from 2.7m<3.8m
Valiant make some nice sub 4m ribs.
The Vangaurd DR400 is quite a nice rib.
And there's always the Avon SR4 just to name a few...
I have a Caribe 3.1m RIB tender stuck up the side of my house at the moment :roll:
Attachments
24052009274.jpg
20170603_150118.jpg
These users thanked the author Andy B for the post:
HSJ (13 Oct 2017, 23:48)

Paul
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Post by Paul » 08 Oct 2017, 23:16

Boatmanjohn
It's a no-brainer to trailer IMO if you're happy with your setup and deffno the cheapest option :idea:
I've trailered my last two sibs with a 52kg OB on the transom thousands of miles over the past 5-6 years without any issues :D
The important thing is to get the weights and positions right so the transom isn't under any undue loads :thumbsup ...... have you watched your transom movement during operation in WOT conditions or heavy swell :?: as it's quite surprising what the transom undergoes :o
Rigging the transom and OB well during trailering will give less stress than those conditions ;-)
I've personally found the Indespension 'Swing' trailers very good with height enabling me to transport the OB fitted in a vertical position without the need to use transom savers if rigged correctly :thumbsup
The downside is you'll need to immerse the trailer slightly deeper if you choose to launch from the trailer :( if you've transom wheels fitted there's no need to immerse, just back up within a few feet of the water, lower the wheels and push it off :thumbsup
I'll post photos of how I've transported my setup if you want :?: and winching on and off is easy :D
:cheers

Boatmanjohn123

Post by Boatmanjohn123 » 09 Oct 2017, 13:50

OK thanx all, I have towed before with ob on and it seemed fine. It was only because I had been told on other forums never to do so with sibs. However reading your reply I think I, ll continue to as I don't really want to change my set up. I will look into supporting the transom thru the winter months. Any photos posted would be good. Thank you all.

Paul B Great Britain

Post by Paul B » 09 Oct 2017, 16:04

Not got any pics at moment, but next time I’m out I will take some for you, But my trailer has a small adjustable roller which sits right under the transom, so when the outboard is on the transom it take some of the weight, then I wrap a ratchet strap around the leg above the cavitation plate and back onto the trailer to stop the engine bouncing,

Never had any problems so far, also remember to lock the steering clamp so the engine doesn’t twist :thumbsup

Andy B England

Post by Andy B » 09 Oct 2017, 17:20

Bunked trailer, problem solved :D

Paul B Great Britain

Post by Paul B » 09 Oct 2017, 18:09

Andy B wrote:Bunked trailer, problem solved :D
My trailer is bunked anyway Andy, but the extra support sits directly under the centre of the transom
Attachments
6AB6B68E-67D3-451C-9BAD-A0DDE0CD4546.jpeg

Boatmanjohn123

Post by Boatmanjohn123 » 09 Oct 2017, 18:53

Thank you.

Return to “Inflatable Boat Help, Advice, Discussions and General Boating Banter”