F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - What upgrades are advised/needed F-Rib 330

What upgrades are advised/needed F-Rib 330

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum

What upgrades are advised/needed F-Rib 330

Postby mattswan2512 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi all what upgrades and diy mods are essential/advised in your eyes...

Is their a transom dolly diy plan or should i go transom wheels (want to keep costs low)
Upgrade fixing points?
Tie down points
Storage option
Spray bow canopy?

Any advice please advise :thumbsup
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
MMSI Number: 0

Re: What upgrades are advised/needed F-Rib 330

Postby DouglasW » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi Matt, I really like the F-Rib Spray canopy, though if you like fishing when its windy, it has a good "sail area" which will cause you to drift. The seats tend to move back if you are planing fast. I just tie a loop of rope round the seat and attach it to the safety line attachments on the top of the tubes. Some have tried sticky rubber patches to increase friction between the seat and the tube, but these dod not work for myself or the Gurnard. I like to have a handle made from a bit of rope with a short piece of hosepipe knotted into the middle. I attach either end to the forward safety line attachments on the top of the tubes. Transom wheels work great on firm surfaces but do not work on steep soft sand beaches so I have a collapsable aluminium trolley with huge balloon tyres. I can pull the boat up the beach on my own with all the gear/fuel and a 15HP motor. My friend with a Zodiac air floor SIB with transom wheels and 9.9 Suzuki 4 stroke needs 4 people to pull his up the same beach.

I leave mine on the beach spring to autumn. Last year I just used a cheap polyethylene tarp to cover it. This year I have bought a custom cover which goes over the spray canopy and the outboard and has elastic running right round the bottom of the skirt. Very easy to put on and off and it is heavy enough not to flap in the wind and is also breathable. I have the F-Rib seat cushions and the under seat zip on storage bag, which is great. I also have one of the recent Aldi duffle dry bags. A couple of pails serve to store other items or caught fish.

Have fun Douglas :o)
DouglasW
Supporting Member

Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Postby mattswan2512 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:57 pm

DouglasW wrote:Hi Matt, I really like the F-Rib Spray canopy, though if you like fishing when its windy, it has a good "sail area" which will cause you to drift. The seats tend to move back if you are planing fast. I just tie a loop of rope round the seat and attach it to the safety line attachments on the top of the tubes. Some have tried sticky rubber patches to increase friction between the seat and the tube, but these dod not work for myself or the Gurnard. I like to have a handle made from a bit of rope with a short piece of hosepipe knotted into the middle. I attach either end to the forward safety line attachments on the top of the tubes. Transom wheels work great on firm surfaces but do not work on steep soft sand beaches so I have a collapsable aluminium trolley with huge balloon tyres. I can pull the boat up the beach on my own with all the gear/fuel and a 15HP motor. My friend with a Zodiac air floor SIB with transom wheels and 9.9 Suzuki 4 stroke needs 4 people to pull his up the same beach.

I leave mine on the beach spring to autumn. Last year I just used a cheap polyethylene tarp to cover it. This year I have bought a custom cover which goes over the spray canopy and the outboard and has elastic running right round the bottom of the skirt. Very easy to put on and off and it is heavy enough not to flap in the wind and is also breathable. I have the F-Rib seat cushions and the under seat zip on storage bag, which is great. I also have one of the recent Aldi duffle dry bags. A couple of pails serve to store other items or caught fish.

Have fun Douglas :o)

Great tips douglas your a star :thumbsup
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.

Postby Gybemaster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:51 pm

Do you have any design pics of your collapsible launching trolley system please Douglas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gybemaster

Boat Make: F-RIB 330
Outboard: Yamaha F9.9 JMHS

Postby DouglasW » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:56 am

Hello Gybemaster,

Unfortunately my F-Rib is on the trolley at the moment and the tide is out. With the 15HP motor on the boat is so heavy I can only float it on and off the trolley but in there meantime here are some general shots:

20170615-IMG_3840DEW.jpg

The wheels are the secret, I can single handedly get my boat up a steep soft sand beach but a friend with a SIB 10HP and transom wheels needs 4 people.

20160521-IMG_2229-2DEW.jpg

The trolley is assembled from anodised box sections which slide into one another to adjust both the axle and the draw bar. The adjustment holes then allow the sections to be locked by stainless locking pins.

20160521-IMG_2228-2DEW.jpg

The main weight of the boat /engine is taken on this broad nylon strap.

This trolley was very expensive but I have had major surgery to two knees and one shoulder so, as far as I am concerned, it is worth every penny. It is the tool that allows me to go out boating on my own without risk of injury. I am now at over 100 launches since April first so that tells you that the hassle of launching is so minor it does not put me off.

I did buy the wheels first and made a trolley from wood and anodised aluminium 1" tube but it proved far too heavy so I gave in and bought the rest.

Douglas

PS the big grey inflatable tyres go SOOO well with the F-Rib tubes :)
DouglasW
Supporting Member

Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Postby Gybemaster » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:11 am

Wow that looks brilliant! Thanks very much Douglas.

I never have a nice slipway to launch from, it's always down soft sandy slopes or loose shingle.

Pm on the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gybemaster

Boat Make: F-RIB 330
Outboard: Yamaha F9.9 JMHS

Postby Paul » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:36 pm

Matt

Congratulations on your purchase buddy :thumbsup
I've found that replacing the plastic wing nut used to clamp the hull with an stainless M12 'D' ring gives you a good point to strap things down and replacing the bow 'U' bracket nuts with M8 'D' rings gives you more points to strap on to :idea:
Personally the sticky pads on the seats have worked well for me :| but others have used rubber wedges to give the same effect :idea:
The F-Rib bow canopy isn't the prettiest but very effective and as Douglas has pointed out can act as a sail on windy days ..... it does the job perfectly for me so it's a keeper :|
The F-Rib cushion seats are very comfortable and robust, the underseat bag is very handy for storage but not waterproof and leaks through the zips :|
If you choose to fit transom wheels I think my aftermarket ones work very well :)
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!
Paul
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-RIB360
Outboard: Seagull 4hp, Honda 10hp, Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 235915479

Postby Martin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:39 am

Welcome to the frib club Matt :clappy
Loads of useful info above... Biggest tip i can give you, throw the seats in the bin, buy a big bean bag and a 40hp and kiss your ass goodnight.. :waterski

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry couldn't resist.
Pauls seat mod does work well but requires weight on it to maintain its position. In the choppy stuff when out with the speed retards we all tend to bed down low into the hull, that's when a padded cushion/seat comes in handy as it's a killer on the old bones.... although you'll still be smiling a week later :drive :mrgreen:

The frib is an amazingly dry boat, A bow canopy made or bought is a great upgrade though - especially during something like the WWA as you'll have a lot of gear onboard you'll no doubt wish to keep dry.

Enjoy it buddy....
Miles of smiles ahead :thumbsup
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75s
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi (2016)
MMSI Number: 123456789

Return to DIY & Modifications