F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - Into the Wilderness

Into the Wilderness

Follow Donny in his newly purchased F-Rib 275.

Re: Into the Wilderness

Postby The Gurnard » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 am

Many thanks for commenting guys..and Im happy you are enjoying the videos. Yup..it was a blustery day that day Martin.

The Karma Grip is the bees knees for holding the camera steady..but its not waterproof. However I bought it to make these videos..so it will be used in all conditions. I don't abuse my possessions .. but I do use them to the max. :D

Im stuck at home this week .. surrounded by my materialistic possessions and home luxuries ..like hot showers..TVs..Music..Computers .. phones .. friends ..you name it..all the things you will be familiar with in your own homes. In the wilderness I have none of these.

In the wilderness I am having adventures and excitement at every turn. Even in the rainy days.

Now..Im at home.. the excitement in my life is missing. :( Everything is predictable .. and money dictates what I do during the day.
Which is why I go to the wilderness in the summer..and I will return there as soon as I can. :D

It was thrilling seeing the dolphins on my way to Gruinard Island. I suspect around 50 surrounded the boat. They examined me and showed off in front of me .. for well over 15 minutes. Slapping the boat bottom.. cutting across my bows .. and generally being like boisterous young boys.

They were common dolphins ..the big adults are around 2.5m long and my boat is 2.75m long. They weight around 120kg while I weight half that weight. It was thrilling to have them visit me .. but it was also a relief when they went . Don’t be fooled by their boyish smile and cute baby face .. I tend to think of them as smiling assassins.

All wild animals .. mammals .. and fish .. can be dangerous and should be treated as such. Dolphins have been known to kill people in the past. These two photos were taken by DouglasW ..and the one with me in my boat illustrates the size some of them grow. Admittedly these two are bottle nose dolphins that grow up to 3.5 meters in length and weigh up to 450kg. I have had four close encounters with dolphins this year. :yay

The day after my Anthrax adventure ..rain was due to arrive in the far North west ..so I crossed country to the North East coast as it was to remain dry. I took a walk along the shore at Fortrose. Its a well known place for visitors to view dolphins. The tourists were there ooohing and aaaahing as the occasional dorsal fin broke surface a hundred yards from shore. They had huge lenses fitted to their cameras that would cost the equivalent of my yearly living allowance. I hardly glanced at the tourist dolphins.. and now you know why. ;-)

I hope to post the east coast video soon ..and I cant wait to get back to the wilderness.
The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
MMSI Number: 0

Postby Paul B » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:34 am

Superb videos Donny, as normal such a great experience and to places most of us have never even heard of and more likely never ever get to see without your exploits :IANW
Chief Cook and Bottle washer
TRALEE BAY FISH N CHIPS

Honwave T32ie Suzuki DF 9.9 (15hp) conversion
Scooter perception kayak
Gosea fishing kayak
Paul B
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Honwave 3.2ie
Outboard: Suzuki df9.9 (15hpconversion)

Postby rogerblack » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:52 am

:wavey

As the kids would say, I'm well jel!

We got a glimpse of a dolphin or two arcing out of the water in the distance a couple of days ago from our spot here at Pettycur - we watch for the terns and gannets diving so we can follow the fishies to get a clue where the dolphins might be feeding. We've also joined the hordes at the spot in your photo at Chanonry Point in the past as we often stay in our motorhome at the campsite just along the beach at Rosemarkie.

Getting up close just as you have would be another dimension completely, although I get why a whole pod of that size surrounding you might be more than a bit scary. As you say, they might be playful but they're not the cuddly creatures some folks think they are, they have been known to use live seal pups as playthings to toss from one to another before finally ripping them apart to eat.

Thanks again for sharing these fascinating locations and experiences with us.
Please don't get too used to the luxurious life as whatever you give us we all want even more :thumbsup

:cheers
cheers
Roger

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong.
No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

― Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man
rogerblack
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495

Postby The Gurnard » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Many thanks for your kind comments guys..it is appreciated. :thumbsup
I have old memories of playing in a wee dance band for several years. I was the keyboard player. I recall nights when the audience just looked at us.. and these nights were not our best. Other nights..the audience danced and sang along with us.. it inspired us to play our best and everyone enjoyed those nights the best.

I don’t have much to say to introduce this next chapter in the movie. The video and titles tell it all. Its called “Old Memories” Beware ..it may bring a tear to a glass eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv69So87NOg

Best Regards
The Gurnard
The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Postby The Gurnard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Attached is Part One of the latest Chapter in my GoPro movie. Its called Priest Island. :D

The soundtrack is a little muted in this video..but that is because it was recorded in the 1990’s on a small tape cassette player in a pub. Its an original score written by Barbara Ann MacDonald..the singer in the band. I arranged and played the keyboards / organ in the band at that time.

Disclaimer ... I had nothing to do with selling organs to Priests .. but that is a true story too. Details can be found here ;-)

http://www.scotsman.com/news/the-70s-cr ... -1-4473733

This is a map of my complete adventure that day

And of course my video can be seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Ua417HuBs

Best regards
The Gurnard
The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Postby Paul B » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Another great video, :thumbsup
Chief Cook and Bottle washer
TRALEE BAY FISH N CHIPS

Honwave T32ie Suzuki DF 9.9 (15hp) conversion
Scooter perception kayak
Gosea fishing kayak
Paul B
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Honwave 3.2ie
Outboard: Suzuki df9.9 (15hpconversion)

Postby Paul » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:01 am

Keep 'em coming' mate ohyeh
Excellent storyteller, photographer, movie maker and now a keyboard player :D
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!
Paul
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-RIB360
Outboard: Seagull 4hp, Honda 10hp, Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 235915479

Postby enzo200500 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:10 am

Superb videos there sir!
enzo200500

Boat Make: honwave T40
Outboard: Honda BF 20

Postby The Gurnard » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:27 am

Many thanks for the comments and watching the videos guys ..I had hope to get part 2 of Priest Island finished today but I have run out of time.

As soon as I'm through with the hospital this afternoon ..im heading for another adventure ..this time with some friends ..so there will be a few days break before I'm back ..k4eep watching though..as there are loads more videos to come :thumbsup
The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Postby Britd5 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Well Donny just have to say a big Thank you for your videos to date & for recommending the film Into the Wild....incredible story & to find out at the end it's based on a true life is very emotional & has some similarities to my upbringing & thoughts as an adolescent & late teenager/young man.

Anyone who hasn't watched this & feels the call back to wilderness & nature should consider having this film as part of their collection. Google Chris Mccandless for an insight.

All the best & keep the video story coming :respect
Britd5
Newish Member, But I Like It Here

MMSI Number: 10

PreviousNext

Return to The Guppy