F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - Into the Wilderness

Into the Wilderness

Follow Donny in his newly purchased F-Rib 275.

Re: Into the Wilderness

Postby The Gurnard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi Kaman.. Im home for a week now.. more hospital appointments on Tuesday..then getting the Quicksilver ready for the weekend. Hope you can manage along to that outing ..it would be great seeing you again :D

Hi Martin..yup..its tough not drinking my fav tipple..but my liver is not my friend at the moment. Unfortunately I would miss loosing it although I don’t miss my missing gall bladder now. Its all part of growing old I guess. :?

Anyhoo..its not been spoiling my fun as you will see in my movies.

Here is Part one of Loch Laxford to Handa video.

Its in Full HD..so try to watch it on a big screen in HD resolution..it brings out the detail. The GoPro never makes the water and waves show well..due to the wide angle lens.. but you get the idea of the swell and remoteness .. I hope..I know it was there in real life ;-)

For info ..here is a map of the North of Scotland ..showing where it was filmed

And this shows my route in more detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshE1OkNMmA

Enjoy

Best regards
The gurnard
The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
MMSI Number: 0

Postby The Gurnard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:56 pm

If the first part of Loch Laxford and Handa didn’t put you to sleep..Im sure part two will. :lol:

It was a glorious and very memorable adventure for me. I hope it gave you a wee insight into my summer boating lifestyle.

I also hope you can sense my love of the sea come through the video .. I inherited that love from my father...along with the inflatable boats that he left me in his will.

Thanks for watching my witterings :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ISFSOf_1nA

Best regards
The Gurnard
The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Postby Paul » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Glad I took your advice and waited till I got home to watch Part 1 on a big screen :thumbsup better still, by the time I got home Part 2 had been posted up :yay
Really enjoyable, great sound track and glorious boating weather ohyeh :mrgreen:
Sorry to be a thick townie southerner but what's these columns of vapour :?:

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 21.59.28.png
Vapour columns

:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!
Paul
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-RIB360
Outboard: Seagull 4hp, Honda 10hp, Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 235915479

Postby The Gurnard » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:40 am

Hi Paul ..its just some whisps of cloud floating round Quinaig ..which is one of the mountains in the area. Here is a zoom in to illustrate it.

Its a very beautiful wilderness ..and you get a totally different perspective of it from land. Huge peat moors are dotted with fresh water lochs and lochans. It can be a bog land that can swallow cows if the walk in soft ground. Mountains rise straight from the moors .. making them look taller than there real heights of only around 2000ft high. I love the area and have spent a lifetime clambering the hills and photographing the area. Im now doing it from the sea in GoPro ..to add a new perspective.

Here are some of the land views on good weather..its often shrouded in mist and midges though. I have several hard drives full of photos of the area. These are just the first I came across.

Not a City in sight .. but it is a harsh place for a city boy to exist ?
The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Postby Redlinebuzz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:32 pm

Loved your videos Donny, hopefully more to come !

What are your thoughts on not having an auxiliary on the F-Rib ? I must admit I'm considering selling mine as the Johnson hasn't missed a beat since I've been using it, and what with all the camping gear I'm carrying, I could do with loosing some weight especially from the stern. I'm not too sure how useful 3.5 hp would be to my boat fully loaded anyway.
Redlinebuzz

Boat Make: Mercury 415 HD
Outboard: Johnson 15hp(9.9)
Mariner 3.5
MMSI Number: 10

Postby The Gurnard » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 am

Hi again Redlinebuzz. glad you enjoy them..and there is plenty more.. so keep an eye on My Channel in case the links don't work :thumbsup

Re your question about Aux for the Frib. I confess..I do feel very vulnerable without one. I have always carried one.. even on my small 2.6m seago. I know I needed them occasionally in the past.

However with the F Rib..Im between the devil and the deep blue sea ..with regards an aux. :(

I have one that fits..the Mariner 3.3HP two stroke..but when its additional weight is attached to the transom ..I cant get the boat over the "hump" to get on the plane. So I have to just hope on the reliability of the 6HP Yamaha. Its a new one..only owned and serviced by myself. I do carry a spare prop and tool kit at all times

In a lot of areas of England..and even parts of Scotland.. its not so important to have one as there are many boats around to assist. However ..in the places I go ..I hardly see any signs of humans never mind boats ..even my handheld VHF signal is lost in empty space. I carry a PLB to counteract the radio weakness. I am a very capable and strong rower with the oars ..although I know in many situations I would be thrown onto rocks by strong swell if the OB failed. Perhaps I'm wishful thinking on this thought.. but I wear a padded floatation jacket and padded neoprene leggings. Hoping they will give me some protection if thrown onto rocks. I'm certainly not worried about loosing the F Rib or outboard in that scenario.. I will have only one though in my mind ..get onto hard ground..anywhere and by any means. :o

Hi guys.. I have now uploaded another chapter from my spoof movie “Into The Wilderness” its on my U Tube Channel at this link. Its called ANTHRAX

This chapter was the highlight of my time in the North. It is about visiting an island that no one was allowed to land on for over 50 years. Its only in the past 20 years or so folk can land there.. but few do.

It was filmed on a blustery day. Those who uses GoPro will know the waves always look smaller on video. Its due to the wide angle lens compressing them.From my perspective in the wee F-Rib..they were approaching five feet high. Although my Gopro is waterproof..my Karma Gimbal which keeps the camera steady is not. This means I could really only video in the quieter waters..but hopefully you will get the feel for a blustery trip.

To make things a little more difficult..while concentrating on the waves..I was “attacked” by around 50 dolphins..which was the last thing I needed..but I got them on video too... so without further ado .. have a look at the video in HD. Dont forget your seasick pill..if you suffer from that

Here is a small map of the journey

Gruinard1.jpg

And this is a photo I took of the area ..from rock steady terra firma

Guirnard Bay 03.jpg

And the movie channel link is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42CWC5nTjI

Best Regards
The Gurnard
The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Postby Redlinebuzz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Superb stuff, apologies for constantly picking your brain !
Redlinebuzz

Boat Make: Mercury 415 HD
Outboard: Johnson 15hp(9.9)
Mariner 3.5

Postby Capt Zode » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:17 pm

Good vid, well enjoyed the Anthrax movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Capt Zode
I'm New

Boat Make: Zodiac classic mark 1
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp 4 stroke

Postby kaman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:40 pm

Cracking stuff as ever Gurnard :thumbsup
Look bungle and zippy Avatars reunited :D
kaman
Super Poster

Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675

Postby Martin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:37 am

kaman wrote:Look bungle and zippy Avatars reunited :D

Cracking :lol: :clappy :slap
--------------------------------------

Throughly enjoying this whole series Donny. Never thought you could step it up another notch, but the GoPro has certainly helped you share more of your experiences.
Probably the most stupid sounding statement ever, but the gimbal actually enhances our view of the sea state (if that makes sense) you looked to be tittering around the 1.5 - 2m mark there which is bloody impressive in the little FRIB.?
Great Vids.. :IANW
#DontEverStop !
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75s
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi (2016)
MMSI Number: 123456789

PreviousNext

Return to The Guppy