F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - OBAN CHOP In Inflatables

OBAN CHOP In Inflatables

Take a back seat into the "World of the Gurnard"

Re: OBAN CHOP In Inflatables

Postby Capt Zode » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:19 am

Brilliant footage, shows what can be done in a sib!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Capt Zode
I'm New

Boat Make: Zodiac classic mark 1
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp 4 stroke
MMSI Number: 10

Postby James » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:31 am

The Gurnard wrote:Glad you all enjoyed the video Guy’s ..and sorry you couldn’t see it Kaman. :(

For clarification..Im not suggesting the F Rib is best..but I have not found any boat is "the best" .. which is why I have three different makes ..each with a strength and a weakness :D

What would you say the F-Ribs weaknesses are? I'm thinking more along the lines of when your out in the water rather than things like tying equipment down.

While in Scotland I went over a wave and the nose was pointing pretty much straight up. My feet were on the transom (I sit inside the boat) and the boat left the water and then touched down on the rear tubes. The landing was soft as the rear tubes took the impact, but it's probably possible to easily back flip these boats.
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid
James
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355

Postby The Gurnard » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:34 am

Hi James.. for me .. my F Ribs weakness is the jarring ride it gives at speed .. in close together waves which are often the normal on Scottish Sea Lochs like Loch Leven. The waves don’t get a chance to spread out like they do in the sea. I feel every bump and cannot keep up a fast plane speed...its just to painful for me. Its not a problem though..I just slow down to a speed where I can stand the thumps and bumps :D

I can keep up my speed for longer in other “soft bottom” SIBS as the PVC material tends to absorb the waves blow. That for me..is the F Ribs only weakness. I know Martin doesn’t mind the hard ride...so it doesn’t affect everyone the same way.

I use my F Rib far more than the Quicksilver 4.3m. Its very light and convenient to use which is why I love it. The larger and heavier Quicksilver has a far smoother ride and is very much more seaworthy for my adventures. I tend to use it on long exposed routes when the winds can change very quickly...and there are no other boats around to assist if I get into difficulty. Sadly .. Its too heavy for my normal use now...I'm getting older :scratch

I will add.. and as you have just mentioned .. that wave jumping in light boats. .is fun .. but it can also have dangers. I have seen light weight SIBS being blown head over heels ..when a strong gust of wind catches it when its nose is in the air .. its blown clean over... its game over :o

I wouldn’t want that to happen to me in a Force 5 wind ..and far from land or other boats that can assist. This can happen to any lightweight boat and is not unique to F Ribs.

The boat attitude shown in this photo .. in a small light boat is fine if you intend it to fly.. ( I do appreciate it was Paul’s intention to make it jump... I'm just using it to illustrate.)

I personally don’t like to be in that position in a strong wind.. and keep weight up front to prevent it...or slow down if it still lifts as much. I have been walking on the hills and been blown off my feet by strong gusts of winds . A small boat showing that amount of windage to the oncoming wind .. is taking more risks than I would.

But everyone is different..perhaps Im an old woman with my safety thoughts. Just be aware it can happen. ;-)
The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
MMSI Number: 0

Postby James » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:48 am

I am not a seasoned boater and I did learn a thing or two while in Scotland. I also don't have that much experience with other SIBS so I was interested what you thought the weaknesses were with the F-Rib.

That time I went almost vertical was scary, and it wasn't until I landed I though sh*te I could of back flipped. I was only just over half throttle.

Another time, Paul was to my left but behind me. The waves where coming in from 2 o'clock and I was at just under half throttle. A wave grabbed me and pushed by back towards Paul (At least that is what it felt like). I adjusted my steering so I pointed in to the wave which didn't help. It felt like the wave grabbed a hold of my boat and took me with it. WOT was the only way I could break away. It's quite amazing really.

I used 30 Litres of fuel on our trip. I took 30 Litres and Pete's 10 Litre tank. I've just drained what I have left back in to Petes which is now full up. I'm assuming that's good for a 2-stoke?
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
James
Supporting Member

Postby DouglasW » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi James I very much agree with Donald on his point of view with the F-Ribs. The are great fun.

On my F-Rib 330, my motors ran for 42 hours last year and 85 hours this year and of course that does not count the hours fishing, swimming, sightseeing, drifting and picnicing. After this amount of time using the boat I feel no need to change it for anything else! I agree with Donald about the jarring ride on wind blown chop and wind against tide waves. It has been a windy summer here in SW Scotland and the strong Solway tides always stir the water up with an adverse wind.

One up with the 6HP Yamaha the 330 planes up to 24-25km/hr on the flat but I need to slow down in chop as my old bones hurt too much. I have the F-Rib cushioned seat, but I also have an extra foam cushion which I can strap onto that for double comfort. I sit facing forward in the middle of the seat but when it is choppy I take weight on my feet and keep my knees bent for additional shock absorbing. I also have a rope with a handle to hang on to which is tied between the front two safety line mounts.

Interestingly, one up with the 15HP motor I can go faster (about 28-32km/hr) than I can using the 6HP in the same conditions but without hurting as much as the 6HP flat out. However, two up with the 15HP at about 18-20km/hr is just the same as one up with the 6HP at that speed...painful in chop and I need to slow down. I think that when the 15HP is lightly loaded, with one person, there is much less boat in the water and the ride is somewhat cushioned by the weight being partially taken by the thrust of the motor rather than just the planing surface of the boat. However, when flat out, it is easy for air to get under the hull and the bow then rises quite easily so I tend to sit forward. Like Gurnard, I am very wary of showing too much hull to the wind in the F-Rib. Last year, in the August bank holiday, a Honwave with a 20HP Yamaha flipped on the Solway in wind over tide conditions. Fortunately the guy was not hurt but it did involve the local IRB to recover the boat. The engine was taken to the local Yamaha dealer, Ronnie who is one of my windsurfing pals, the next day but it was trashed.

F-Rib recommended 10HP as ideal for the F-Rib 330 and 15HP as maximum. I have run my friend['s 9.9 Suzuki stroke on the 33 and it feels very much more like the 6HP than the 15HP. More of the hull stays in contact with the water when planing with the 9.9 HP than with the 15HP and wind is less likely to get under the hull and for the bow to lift. I think if you choose the maximum size outboard for the boat, rather than the recommended size, then you need to be prepared to back off the throttle in unfavourable conditions.

Fortunately I boat in an indented coast with some islands for protection. I often do not take the straight line A to B to get upwind because the slamming is just too painful. I might run along the waves at right angles to the wind (and where I want to end up) so that I can get a bit of shelter from an island or a weather shore to work my way upwind on flatter water. A bit like tacking a yacht, if you are a sailor.

Only other negative thing about the F-Rib is the ease with which the internal bung is knocked out. Fortunately I no longer do that though I have got a different bung that fits flush which I will fit the next time I flood the boat.

Douglas
Last edited by DouglasW on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DouglasW
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Postby James » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks for the reply, that's very interesting. The bung is one of my biggest complaints as I keep knocking it out.
If I knock it out, the boat quickly feels with water. When I put the boat on plane, the water doesn't escape out of the bung whole - it's pretty pointless.

It did cross my mind several times about just gluing the bung in and being done with it. Maybe I'll look for one like yours that just fits in perfectly.
James

James
Supporting Member

Postby DouglasW » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi James, yes I mostly just use a sponge, it certainly is not a self bailer! My spare bung is actually an old fashioned wooden bath plug!!! It is still quite useful. I recently rescued a kite surfer. After pulling him and his kite aboard and dropping him off on a beach with dumping surf, my boat was full of water. It was good to let it drain out of the hole before I pulled my boat back up the beach!

Douglas
DouglasW
Supporting Member

Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Postby The Gurnard » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi again James .. yup 30 litres sounds about right. We travelled approx 70 miles as shown on this map. Its not GPS track so approx but it wont be far from 70 miles. I took 50 litres and have approx half a 25 litre tank left.. so guess I’m 35 - 40 litres used for my 25HP two stroke and heavy load.

Its good practice to always carry approx 1/3 more for a reserve..so you now know your range on your tanks. Its handy to keep a record of for future journeys too.

Re the Bung.. yup..I forgot about that. I think every F Rib owner must have kicked it out accidentally. I know I did on my second outing..so it was for the chop. I cut the round handle bit off the bung with a hacksaw. (Its the bit we all stand on that dislodges the bung) Drilled a hole through the bung and treaded the securing string through the hole. Tied a knot in the string and then poured araldite into the hole to seal it. So I still have the original bung..but its flush with the boat now..so I cant kick it out. It still pulls out when needed too. Hope that makes sense as I don’t have a photo of it to hand.

PS..thanks for your kind words to the video Capt Zode..I forgot to mention that when I got distracted. It is appreciated and I hope to get some more done soon :thumbsup
The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP

Postby kaman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 pm

God only knows what is happening?
Tried watching the video on my daughter's Ipad still no joy.
I'll try on the laptop next :(
kaman
Super Poster

Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675

Postby DouglasW » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi Kaman, the video (accessed both embedded and the link) plays fine on my iPad and iPhone SE using Safari and on the iPad using Chrome. Just a thought, are you using an ad blocker?

Douglas
DouglasW
Supporting Member

Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

PreviousNext

Return to The Gurnard