F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - Maiden voyage + SUV vs pick-up truck?

Maiden voyage + SUV vs pick-up truck?

Re: Maiden voyage + SUV vs pick-up truck?

Postby Phil » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:20 pm

Martin wrote:Phil, You've described exactly how i lift my Frib into my Nav, I wheel it down to the motor then with the tailgate down i lean it onto the bed and lift & tilt at the same time and slide it in.
I have a bedrug fitted in my truck and the frib hasn't damaged it at all.
I regard to height... I have a shelf system fitted (copied from Paul's brilliant idea) and the frib slides under that - JUST !!
My shelf is fitted into the side rails of the bed , they are just floor boards all linked together with the tongue and groove giving remarkable strength and ease of fitment.

I'll try and take a pic later :cheers

That's very useful to know, thanks Martin. The fact that the FRIB fits under the side rails means there'll be more space than I thought if I got a Nav with a flip up or rolling canopy. I'll be planning on putting the OB flat on the truck bed in front or two the side of the boat, although I have to say the tongue and groove floor board shelf sounds like a very neat and clever solution to maximise space with a hard top .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F-RIB 360 with F-RIB wheels, seat cushions and bag and Scotty rod rests
15hp 1992 Johnson GT 10 2-stroke
Phil

Boat Make: F-RIB 360
Outboard: 15hp 1992 Johnson GT 10
MMSI Number: 10

Postby Phil » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:24 pm

DouglasW wrote:Hi Phil, I made my own Motor Toter Trolley out of some decking board, a 1" aluminium tube and four inflatable 10" wheels (two on each side to spread the load).

Meet Brutus,
I may lack the Gurnard's craft skills and Brutus sure ain't pretty but it works, even on soft sand with a 52kg motor. With the wheels removed, it also doubles as an outboard stand in the shed for the motor in the winter. Best of all it does not rust.

Douglas

That's a neat piece of kit Douglas . Looks very solid. Can see why you call it Brutus !

If time allowed, I'd love to look into building something like that myself. Given my limited time and craftsmanship, I imagine I'll probably end up buying something like the BHG Marine trolley, but good to know there are alternative potential options.

Phil

Postby Paul » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:32 pm

James wrote:Phil

I'm just next to Gatwick, so if you ever want to see how it goes in feel free to come round.
I got the F-Rib 360 and the Same Johnson engine as you.

James

Well worth the time to take advantage of seeing/experiencing in 'real life' before spending your hard earned £££'s IMO :idea:
Well done James for the offer :thumbsup
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!
Paul
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-RIB360
Outboard: Seagull 4hp, Honda 10hp, Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI Number: 235915479

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:47 am

James wrote:Phil

I'm just next to Gatwick, so if you ever want to see how it goes in feel free to come round.
I got the F-Rib 360 and the Same Johnson engine as you.

James

Hi James,

Sorry for my delay in reply. I somehow didn't see your message last night using the Tapatalk app.

Many thanks for the kind offer. Really appreciated! Very keen to take you up on it and drive round to check out how the setup works. Some coincidence you have the same FRIB, OB and a Navara !

I'll drop you a direct message to see when best suits you.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:16 pm

Martin wrote:If you can hold off a short while, Nissan have a bit of something rolling out for the chassis check & then inhibited to stop corrosion.

Was this the thing Nissan are rolling out that you were referring to Martin ?

Video removed from forum by Admin, however this can be viewed on http://Vimeo.com followed by /222312707

In summary, leaked training video saying Nissan will inspect and body off spray Navaras under 12 years old that aren't already badly corroded FOC.

It looks like this may have already been setup as someone Nissan-Navara.net claims to have his truck booked in for July.

The video also says the failure rate on 2005-2007 Navs is worse than 2008 onwards.

I'm therefore thinking it may not be the worst time to pick up a cheap 2008 or newer Nav before the above is more commonly known if I have a good rummage around the chassis to check for corrosion and listen out for timing chain rattle.

I'll probably be looking at 80-100k mile examples, so - ideally - I'd be searching for trucks that have had the chain replaced or upgraded to the Billcar mod, or try and negotiate some of the £1k + fitting into a discounted price.

Phil

Postby James » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:32 pm

Sorry for the delay.
My brother gave me a hand today to get the boat from the back garden, though the extension and in to the truck.

You can see the boat is taller than the side of the bed. Ignore the carpet stuffed at the bottom, that's just there to stop the boat rocking side to side on the hull. The boat is sitting on top of my rubber matt.

My engine and fuel tank fit next to the tailgate and the rest of my gear goes on top.
Attachments
20170702_200359.jpg
20170702_200354.jpg
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid
James
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355

Postby Phil » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:30 pm

James wrote:You can see the boat is taller than the side of the bed. Ignore the carpet stuffed at the bottom, that's just there to stop the boat rocking side to side on the hull. The boat is sitting on top of my rubber matt.

My engine and fuel tank fit next to the tailgate and the rest of my gear goes on top.

That's super helpful James. Thank you. Surprising, but very useful to see this as, from the 45.7cm Navara truck bed measurements listed online, I thought the 45cm depth of an F-RIB 360 would just about fit in the bed with a roller top or a flat tilting Tonneau cover that was fitted on the lip of the truck bed.

Especially given Martin's fitting a 375 at 50cm depth (vs 45cm for the 360) under a shelf slotted into the truck bed side rails. Looking at this photo, I guess Martin's shelf does not cover the whole length of the truck bed.

Good to see the 360 fits (presumably flat on the floor) between the wheel arches too leaving a decent space for the outboard etc.

If I'm going to get a Navara, I guess I'll need to look at a hard top, then!

Phil

Postby James » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Thinking about it. The boat isn't flat.
I've tipped oneside down and wedged carpet in the other side to stop it rocking on the hull.
The rubber matt you see if quite thick. Could be as much as 1cm.
It's not massively out, but I do think you will have a hard time with a roller shutter in either case.

With the hard top, everything goes in the back. Nothing comes in the cab with me. The good thing is, the petrol tank isn't in the same space as me so if I fancy a smoke (Not that I do it much these days) I can without it going bang. I also don't get the petrol smell inside the car :-)

If I get back late, I can leave all my stuff in the back of the truck and deal with it the next day or so. Because I am having difficulties getting the boat past all the building work, it will live in the truck for a few weeks.
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid
James
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355

Postby Martin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:52 pm

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but my shelf sits on the top of the hard top seating lip, I can fit my FRIB in, putting the shallow edge on the wheel arch of the truck bed and just at a scrape slide my df20 along side it.
If I put my shelf into the load channel I can't get the height to rest the FRIB on the arch so I put the FRIB in, put the shelf in and then lift the outboard onto the shelf.
I can do all this on my own but it's a killer lifting the 44kg outboard on the shelf. Bearing in mind I'm crouched down inside whilst being on my knees..
if it's just me and the boat going off, it's a doddle, but fitting a weeks worth of holiday gear, skooter, bike etc for the nipper it's very full :thud
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75s
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi (2016)
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby Martin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Taken some finding but I gave a few shots here from when I was trying to make the set up work, hope it's of some help...
IMG_3168.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

IMG_3172.JPG

IMG_3173.JPG
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75s
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi (2016)
MMSI Number: 123456789

PreviousNext

Return to F-Rib