F-RibsAndSibs.Com • View topic - Engine performance

Engine performance

Folding Ribs are a great way of obtaining a hard hull boat but having the flexibility of a sib.
F-Ribs have the 3 or 4 section articulating hinge joint that allow the boat to fold up for ease of storage or transportation.

Engine performance

Postby Gilly65 » 25 Feb 2018, 13:08

Hi I'm now thinking of buying my first FRib and I will probably go for the 330. I will be out fishing on the sea on my own and I want to remain as portable as possible. I am thinking of a 6hp as a couple on here has advised that it will be suitable. However what sort of speed could i expect from a 9.9 4 stroke engine.
Has anyone got a similar set up.???
Cheers
Gilly65
Newish Member, But I Like It Here

MMSI Number: 10

Re: Engine performance

Postby Andy B » 25 Feb 2018, 15:44

F-Rib 330 with a 9.9hp 4 stroke, I would say should be good for mid to high 20's (mph)

Recommended outboard power 5-10hp, Max outboard power 15hp,

So it would be at the top end of the recommended range. should be a good match and have enough power when you want to carry passengers.

Personally I would think a 6hp motor on a 330 might be found wanting.
SOLENT
Waveline 2.3m/3.3hp Mariner
Zodiac 380/Yamaha F8, Mariner 9.9 smoker
Andy B
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Zodiac 380
Outboard: Mariner 9.9hp/Mariner 3.3hp
MMSI Number: 0

Postby The Gurnard » 25 Feb 2018, 15:57

Hi Gilly65 ..nice choice in boat ..my brother has the 330 and I have the 275 size

I have a 6HP on mine ..I weight 196lb ..and with fishing gear and lunch ..on my own..it happily goes around 15 mph. With myself and full camping gear..it wont plane unless I use a smaller pitch prop..but them it planes around 10-12 mph

My brothers 330 with his 6Hp does much the same ..its a bit heavier boat ..but the longer length allows it to plane in a similar fashion to mine

He has a 15HP also..and if I recall correct ..the speed is about 26 + mph with one..it is on the verge of chine walking at speeds higher than that. Two up it goes a lot better at higher speeds

I cant use the 15HP max on my 275 with just myself..its too dangerous .. it will easily chine walk with that power ..I suspect its because its shorter length looses directional stability

I know thats not the question you asked ..but threw it in to let you see they are comparable.

Here are the figures off the F Rib site for the 275 size

http://foldablerib.com/product/f-rib-275-2/

Load (adults) Motor Speed (km/h) Speed (knots)
1 5PS / 3.68KW 28 15.1
2 15PS / 11KW 38 20.5

I presumes 5PS and 15PS should be HP

I don't know why they don't quote the 330 size figures ..but they quote the 360 size as well ..so it gives you a rough idea what to expect.

So from all that info .. I would imagine a 9.8HP on the 330 size to be around 20knots for one person based on that data ..I'm guessing though.
I can confirm the F Rib site figures for the 275 are in my ball park. The 330 performance is not much different ..but more room and more stable with higher HP.

I have lots of video of the 275 with 6hp..in strong tides..waves..and calm.. let me know if you have not seen them..they are on the site somewhere

DouglasW could give more accurate figures too ..(he has tried a 9.8 on his 330 size) ..if he is around. I thinks he is off up north just now though ?
The Gurnard
Super Poster

Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP

Postby Gilly65 » 25 Feb 2018, 16:06

Thank you for your replies. I originally put a post on here about 18 months ago and you gave a lot of good advice then. Thank you. I turned down a second hand outfit at the last moment due to some urgent building work. However I should be in a position soon to purchase one. I was thinking a 6 hp to keep things as light as possible but im wondering if a 9.9 would be more fun when out on a jolly especially with the grandchildren.
Im just wondering if its worth the extra expense to get the bigger engine
Once again thank you both
Gilly65

Postby The Gurnard » 25 Feb 2018, 16:15

Having just read your reply Gilly .. If speed is your thing and taking even a small child passanger.. you will regret the 6HP ..it wont plane ..I was replying to one person usage. :thumbsup
The Gurnard
Super Poster

Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP

Postby DouglasW » 26 Feb 2018, 21:50

Hi Gilly I am away up north on a trip just now. I did try a friend's Suzuki DF9.9A on my F-Rib 330. It planed no bother two up, I made a note of the speed and I will post that when I get back. My Yamaha F6C will plane a 15 stone adult no bother but will not plane two adults. However, the whole point of an F-Rib is portability. The F6C weighs 27kg which as Gurnard says is manageable. The Suzuki 9.9 weighs 40kg which is a lot heavier. It is not easy to carry down a beach for example. I am not the only one on this forum with a bad back..

I also have a F15C Yamaha but it is a heavy brute at 52kg. That is not a safe weight for most people to handle on their own. I only have it because my boat lives on the beach on a launching trolley with 50cm balloon tyres. I could not be bothered with it if I had to lift it up and down the beach and into the back of the car every time I wanted to go boating. I also have a Suzuki DF2.5 which is a pleasure to move about, though it will not plane 1 adult. That does not bother me if I am just wanting to go out and catch some fish. The Gurnard and I are lucky enough to get out in our F-Ribs more than most and the reason is we can carry and manoeuvre the gear so easily, so we never get put off going out because it is too much faff and bother. If I wanted anything much bigger than the 330/9.9 combo, I would probably move it about on a trailer but I could save money by buying a regular rib rather than a folding rib. Of course you might not have room to store a Rib on a trailer securely, which brings you back to the F-Rib... My friend has an F-Rib 360. Folded it it is not much bigger (or heavier) than the 330. Both of us can just get a 330 in and out of a shed on our own but neither of us can manage the 360 on our own. I have seen the Gurnard put his inflated 275 on his back and walk down the beach, I can't do that with the 330, even though it is not much heavier than the 275...

Douglas
DouglasW
Advanced Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Postby Gilly65 » 27 Feb 2018, 21:12

Thank you Douglass very much appreciated. I would be going out on my own most of the while and will take the grandchildren to the beach and messing around on the water . Big decision, I like the idea of being as light as I can. I am assuming the 6hp will still push the 330 fine even though not on the plane with two on board?
Gilly65

Postby mattswan2512 » 27 Feb 2018, 21:27

I have a 330 with 15hp 2 stroke and it flies!!! The 2 stroke 15 is very easily manageable by just myself and will serve your needs if you dont mind a little noise and perhaps some smoke. They are a little thirsty compared to the frugal 4 stroke but weight is king and on a 330 it will almost stick with a 20hp frib. As for other boats such as the honwaves etc you get much more performance than can be acheived with the same HP in my opinion anyhow.

Id advise go as big as you can afford and handle....that way the boat grows with you as want more from your boat.
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.

Postby DouglasW » 27 Feb 2018, 22:24

Hi Gilly, I agree with Matt the F-Rib flies with a 15. However, unless you use it on flat water in a sheltered harbour or a lake it is a very painful ride even at half throttle. Even The Gurnard has begged me to slow down when we have been out two up in the F-rib 330/15! Occasional boaters are even more likely to complain about the hammering, especially if they are not in the first flush of youth.

With the 6HP my 330 will take 4 adults a round trip of 15km along an exposed coast with strong tides to a sheltered picnic spot in the lee of one of the islands. It will do 10km/hr at just over half throttle with 4 adults. With just me when I was 15 stone it would do 26-28km/hr.

20160605-P6050171DEW.jpg

20160606-P6060211DEW.jpg

Douglas
DouglasW
Advanced Member

Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Postby DouglasW » 28 Feb 2018, 22:25

Hi Gilly, I am back home now and got my notes.

My F-Rib 330 with 2 adults weighing a total of 150kg powered by a Suzuki DF9.9A managed a top speed of 24.5km/hr. With one adult weighing 75kg it managed 33km/hr. It was slack water with almost no wind but the water was not glassy calm, there were small closely spaced waves about 10cm in height from some earlier breeze

I hope that helps,

Douglas.
DouglasW
Advanced Member

Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Next

Return to F-Rib / Foldable Rib / Folding Boat