Switch to full style
From VHF Calling to PFD's (Buoyancy Aids & Lifejackets)
Help, Advice and Discussions....
Post a reply

Engine leash to transom

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:41 pm

Does anybody ever leash their engine to the transom on the sibs,?

On the return leg of the WW17 trip we encountered some really rough weather,,and I know that Matt Swan had a incident which could,have resulted in him loosing his outboard (or should I say Martins spare) when he got hit by a large wave and one of the engine clamps came loose,

It made me think and I checked my transom yesterday and found quite a large mark in the transom plate from my clamps, see pic, I'm pretty sure if my plate didn't have the lips around the edge i could have been in trouble as well as my engine lifted about 1" up
In future I will be bolting my engine onto the transom before setting out
Attachments
IMG_8697.JPG

Re: Engine leash to transom

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi Paul

My outboard has a retaining eye provided, I believe, for just this purpose, I always use a very short retaining leash attached to it, the other end clipped onto one of the ring eye bolts on the transom.

I also pass a carabiner clip or D shackle through the eyeholes on the two transom bracket clamp screw handles, or now that I have a lock that passes over both handles I sometimes use that, especially if planning to leave the boat unattended since it's a requirement of my (Craftinsure) insurance policy.

I guess if you wanted to be even more secure you could drill through the transom and add a bolt, but would a shake-proof washer and wingnut suffice or would it need a locknut? Since I recall you trailer your boat, then that wouldn't be too much hassle, but for those who fold and carry???

:cheers

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:08 pm

1) That little plastic eye would probably snap under the weight of a dangling engine
2) If my engine fell in the salt water while running, it will be screwed anyway

So, I think I will just let it sink and become a little home for a small fish. As much as I love my trusty old engine, I will never fully rebuild it again as parts are become hard and expensive to obtain.

I will cry though if it did drop off! lol

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi James

The idea is that the tether must be strong but so short that it will prevent the outboard from rising enough to come off the transom in the first place, so will therefore never have to take the full weight of the engine.

As you say, otherwise once 'dunked' the engine would be ruined anyway.

PS None of the eyes I am referring to are plastic, they are metal.

:cheers

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:33 pm

I've already got 2 holes in the transom for bolting the engine on, so in future it will be bolted on

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:36 pm

I have one fitted Paul

IMG_1188.JPG
Tether

IMG_1190.JPG
Tether2

Got mine from Pacermarine
Plastic coated stainless cable, stainless steel buckles and bronze crimped.
:hugs

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 pm

I’m the same as Roger - better safe than sorry. Although I’ve yet to get a proper outboard lock. So the transom looks like this:

BFBCC9C4-92B4-487F-8C47-2B0F904AA8A9.jpeg

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Paul wrote:I have one fitted Paul

IMG_1188.JPG

Got mine from Pacermarine
Plastic coated stainless cable, stainless steel buckles and bronze crimped.
:hugs

Good image, thankyou. I will look at getting one.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:40 pm

I saw too many videos of people losing their engines that way that I made sure ours was tethered. My Merc had a 'D' ring for such purposes. Had eye-bolts for my mounting plate which I latched it to. Never had it come close but was happy that it was there.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:20 pm

STEVE..
What’s that you’ve got strapped to the outboard handle pls?
Is it a Hrs/Rev/Speed tach?

Martin :cheers
Post a reply