F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - Whatsapp group

Whatsapp group

The Bar...
Chat about anything here (within reason) Please keep it polite and PC

Whatsapp group

Postby mattswan2512 » 14 Jan 2018, 18:24

Hi all,

So as a member of other no boating related forums i was wondering if it would be apropriate for active members who would be willing to have a whatsapp group as we have on otger forums or clubs?

Just chucking it out there and obviously not for every1....
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
MMSI Number: 0

Re: Whatsapp group

Postby Martin » 14 Jan 2018, 22:03

We have Twitter, Facebook and the forum buddy.
Twitter and Facebook are just mainly capture sites for the forum, in my opinion the more media platforms we have the less info comes on here, it ends up spread between various sites where info gets lost or hard to find.
Once you spread the platform, the forum dies... :no
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby DouglasW » 15 Jan 2018, 00:04

The big problem with social media like FB is that the posts are not indexed and soon get lost so you get the same questions coming up all the time.

I am an admin and mod on one of the world’s biggest kayaking forums (well over a million posts) unfortunately the rise of FB groups has severely dented the forum traffic over the last couple of years. If you spend time answering someone’s query, you do so hoping that it will help others in the future who visit the forum either by a google search of the www or by using the forum’s own search.

Social media is all about instant gratification and likes but it is an unindexed sink down which your answer and your time disappear without a trace.

Yes social meadia has its place but sharing experience and knowledge is not its strongpoint.

Douglas
DouglasW
Advanced Member

Outboard: Yamaha F15C
Yamaha F6C
Suzuki DF2.5

Postby Mitch » 15 Jan 2018, 10:32

I agree with what Martin & douglas has said, one of the other forums i'm on went down last year & by the time it was back up & running properly (which was about 8 weeks) every one was on the facebook & whatsapp so now the main forum is practically dead with only a few of us older people left on it plus the fact that all pics had to go through photo bucket & now no one apaqrt from a few of us that found a back way in can see any pics.
Mitch
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
MMSI Number: 10

Postby James » 15 Jan 2018, 10:57

Forums seem to be slowly being pushed away by Facebook groups etc.
This is now the only forum I seem to use. Every other one seems to have moved to social media.

Shame really as I prefer forums...
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid
James
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355

Postby Paul B » 15 Jan 2018, 11:37

As others have already said, Facebook,etc are ok for chatting and putting pics up, but try finding something from a few days before and it’s a nightmare, much prefer the forum for anything to do with boating, good search function makes it easy to find stuff ,

I have WhatsApp only because a mate of mine is too tight to pay for any messaging etc and he only uses it for txt etc and he’s not on Facebook, so it’s his way of using social media, I don’t ever use it normally
Chief Cook and Bottle washer
TRALEE BAY FISH N CHIPS

Honwave T38ie2 Suzuki DF 9.9 (15hp) conversion
Scooter perception kayak
Gosea fishing kayak
Paul B
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Honwave T38ie2
Outboard: Suzuki df9.9 (15hpconversion)

Postby James » 15 Jan 2018, 11:52

I hear what your saying Paul and I totally agree, but times are changing.
I am starting to see companies taking on Whatapps and having group's for their employee's. It is great for chatting real time but doesn't help with building a knowledge base which we can refer back too.

I see Whatsapp being more down the pub with the forum members (Minus the drinks :lol: ) and general chit-chat and the forum more official with knowledge base you can look up.

The other problem with Whatapp groups is the administration side and sometimes the messages flood in. For example I am a member of a WhatsApp group for a business I work in (I am a contractor). Christmas day and New Years day my phone kept going off with messages from the employees saying "Merry Christmas". I don't mind friends, but the last thing I want on xmas day is 100+ bloody messages from co-works who I want to get away from. Call me what you like, but I don't give a shit if a co-worker got red boxers from his wife!. It drove me Crazy, I ended up muting the group and in return looked UN-sociable.
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
James
Supporting Member

Postby James » 15 Jan 2018, 11:57

The younger generation (Geese, I feel old) want instant everything, which includes replies.

Youngersters today don't wait for anything. They buy something on Amazon and it comes same or next day. They buy music and it's on their device right away, They need to know what is happening in their world right now. WhatApp is another instnant protocol.

I think for general chat, catchup WhatApps is good. I wouldnt mind keeping in touch with Matt on Whats app. I bet he can send me some good Memes :-) But it's not a forum replacement.

Oh f*ck it, I am ranting. Sorry, I hate all this tech.
James

James
Supporting Member

Postby mattswan2512 » 15 Jan 2018, 12:37

No i never aimed this at replacing the forum just for event info and cancelations etc and a general how are we all type thing but it was just an idea and thought id chuck it out there....
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.

Postby Cliff » 15 Jan 2018, 14:11

I'm an old fart like James (apologies if you're not James) I not only hate all this appcrap and social media shite, I believe it is the tool of the devil, life was much better with a bloke on a bike and telegrams. :Confused I don't actually remember telegrams, but you know what I mean. This forum is the total extent of my social media life, I want nowt else. Now I'm ranting, someone give me a kick. :asskick ..... thats better :TY
96% of people are basically good, it's the 4% that f*ck up the world
Cliff
Advanced Member

Boat Make: Highfield CL310 Rib
Outboard: tohatsu 20hp efi

Next

Return to General Chat