F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - My First Adventure

My First Adventure

The Bar...
Chat about anything here (within reason) Please keep it polite and PC

My First Adventure

Postby Pete » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:09 pm

We're to start! Had a very sleepless night Friday, I was so excited about meeting Martin at Ullswater and getting out in my very own SIB for the first time. We left Manchester around 8 am arriving at Ullswater around 9.45 am. Martin had sent me a text with the details for Park Foot Campsite where we could launch from. Now following the Tom Tom, at one point it said we had another 3.5 miles to go but I was sure it was taking us away from where we wanted to be. When I mentioned it to our lass she said, "We passed Park Foot a while ago"...How the bloody hell I missed I've no idea as it's on both side of the road and all those tents and caravans should have been a bit of a give away...Anyway, arriving at reception to pay for the days parking, £4.50, I was quite amazed how a modern day camp site looks having not been on one since the 70's on the Isle of White. There was a small car park right near the waters edge, we parked up and started unloading. Then I realised I had forgotten to pack a jumper, so while our lass waited with all the gear I popped back to the Village to buy fleece...

It wasn't long before Martin arrived towing his F-rib and I have to admit, even though I'm really chuffed having my own little SIB & OB, I couldn't help feel something stir when he removed the cover. WOW! Even our lass noticed the my excitement but more about that later...

Martin had brought along a Bravo BT12 pump, I really have to buy one of these, and it took no time at all to inflate my 330. I say it took no time at all, I didn't do my home work on what pressure the floor required so Martin made a call to ask someone to look it up as sadly none of us could get a mobile signal to google it! Anyway, we were soon inflated, gear aboard, and I was towing my little outfit down to the lake. Turning her round and pushing her gently in until she started to float was just a fantastic feeling and I couldn't wait to get the engine turning and start bombing along at an uncontrollable speed :D
At this point our lass found out her new wellies just weren't quite high enough and she ended up with a soggy sock, but she boarded without any problems after putting our little pooch, Dexter in. Thankfully Martin had brought a spare pair of chest waders for me to borrow and even with the duck tape patch on the left leg they kept me bone dry. Already I have so much to thank Martin for including the loan of two Crew Saver life jackets.

I used the oars to row out a few yards or so before starting the engine, I'm not sure if I was getting excited again or if the excitement just hadn't gone away! But after a few pulls my little Yam 6 hp was purring away, and off we set on our adventure...

My apologies at this point because I don't really have any piccies, I sold my camera to help buy the boat, and like an idiot I didn't check the settings on the little action camera after I'd been playing with it, so I'd been filming all day in the lowest quality res. :evil:

So we're tootling along, sorry, I couldn't use the word bombing along as we really were just tootling! I couldn't judge the speed but later Martin informed us we were doing 4 mph at full throttle :oops: So back to tootling along, and we were thumping in to every little wave and big wave created by someone in an F-Rib flying across out bow :D At this point I was really impressed with our bow canopy, perhaps not as impressed as our lass was as without she would have been soaked, as it was the boat was still lovely and dry. We hadn't been for too long and suddenly the engine cut, and we were dead in the water. I thought the worst, I'd bought a pig in poke and after 20 minutes or so our adventure was over and we now had long row back...But then Martin appeared at out stern to have a look what was going on. Turns out there is a little lever underneath the head of the OB, and this lever was set so the OB was using the on board emergency fuel tank. Turning the lever and switching over to the 12 litre fuel tank, we were back on our way...

We followed Martin to a mark which I think was about half way along the lake, here we were stopping to take in some much needed food and drink. The chocolate was back at the car waiting for our safe return :D After a few butties and pork pies, Martin suggested changing the position of the OB to try and get the front of the boat up. This helped quite a lot and we were no longer thumping in to every little wave, but we weren't planning which I didn't think we would be doing with our little OB...I did get a few minutes out on my own, but to be honest, even this didn't make too much difference. The front of the boat was higher but the speed didn't really increase. I also got a ride out in Martins F-Rib and was really taken by the speed and how sharp these boats can turn and there's no feeling they're out of control. It was just so exhilarating, I think I might have to start saving for one :D Our lass said if I get a bigger boat, she wants the Excel :D
After our little break we continued along the lake towards the end before making the turn and heading back...The scenery was stunning and at the speed we were going we had plenty of time to take it all in :D

A Few Things I Learnt...

1: My 6 hp is well under powered for one let alone two up. I need a bigger engine!
2: A manual life jacket doesn't mean you inflate it by blowing it up like a balloon. I know, I hadn't realised it meant you just had to pull a cord!
3: Inflatable floor SIBs are kind of squishy bendy boats but incredible fun :D
4: A bow canopy is a must.
5: A Bravo pump is a must have accessory.
6: The little pins I made for the transom wheels worked a treat.
7: Buoys are important, especially for marking rocks that just break the surface.
8: Crewsaver life jackets are extremely comfortable.
9: Give way to sail.
10: Boating is the same as driving on the right. Passing another vessel. Hope I explained correctly!
11: Boating/having fun is completely knackering and you need a day to recover
12: By no means last, Martin just made the day and couldn't have done enough to help :D And if it wasn't for the loan of his life jackets it wouldn't have happened! I just hope the chocolate cake was enough to say thank you :D

A piccy our lass took, the butty stop!
Attachments
Ullswater 29 4 2017.jpg
Pete
Advanced Member

Boat Make: Excel Volante 330
Outboard: Yamaha 6 HP 4 Stroke
MMSI Number: 0

Re: My First Adventure

Postby The Gurnard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:08 pm

Great to see you got out today Pete..and it sounds like you had fun even though you were just "tootling along" :thumbsup

I think you need to check your 6HP outboard out if you only got 4mph with one person and full throttle..as something is not right ? I know they struggle to get out the hole two up though. I know its still a small outboard but in comparison to many.. but my 3.3 will move a boat three times the weight of yours at 5-6 mph lol

Search U Tube for inflatables with 6HP..i would expect something like this from your setup with only you in it ..unless you have scoffed too many cakes ? :o

Here is an example ..

The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP

Postby mattswan2512 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:47 pm

Im with gurnard on this pete.... aaronb on here used to have a little 5hp and with just him and basic fishing gear he could do 12mph and plane with a ali floor 3.2m honwave......that around 55-60kg aprox boat so your outboard should easily deliver more......
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.

Postby Pete » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:56 pm

It was great fun Donny, and when I think it's been just over a year since I joined the forum, it was worth the wait :D

I know that video well Donny, and it was the Sea Pro I originally asked when joining, only to find they had changed the manufacturer. But back to the OB.
I'm out of my depth with engines of type, but I would like to learn more about outboards to the point of doing my own servicing...The problem with this OB is,
the buyer couldn't give me any real or true information about it. A bit like saying the boat had only been used twice!
All I can say is there was a lot of boiling white water at the back but not a lot of speed, the engine was flat out but the brakes were on, if you know what I mean!
Pete
Advanced Member

Postby Pete » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:04 pm

Hello Matt :D Our lass said she was expecting us to be bombing along, I think she was more disappointed with the speed than I was :D But I really wouldn't know where to start from here. It sounded pretty good, although with my hearing and tinnitus I could be wrong but hopefully Martin will agree.
Pete
Advanced Member

Postby The Gurnard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Here is another U Tube pete .. with a 5HP and a 330m length inflatable boat planning nicely with one up and fishing gear.

Going by your description of a lot of froth at the back but no acceleration..it sounds like it has reached its maximum displacement speed .. and is not getting out “the hole.”

So question for you.. Was the boats nose in the air with only you in it and at full throttle ?

I suspect you need to get your weight up front to assist it "out the hole" and onto the plane. I know the likes of Martin etc don’t use tiller extensions ..and they don’t need to .. as they have powerful outboards . In my experience with small outboards like a 6HP you need to sit well forward.. (look at the guy in the 5HP video ..he is not at the back of the boat..but don’t do as he is doing.. not holding the OB lol)

If I sat in the back of my F Rib with a small OB..it wouldn’t plane either..look how far forward I am sitting in it ..its for a reason .. its the position where the boat is trimmed to plane easily ..even with a 3.3HP outboard. My forward weight gets it over the bow wave that separates displacement speed from plane speed and its the reason why folk use tiller extensions :thumbsup

The Gurnard
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP

Postby Pete » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Hello Donny :D

After Martin changed the angle of the motor the nose came up a bit with he two of us in it. It came up further again with with jut me, and yes I was
sat right back...So it could be more to do with weight distribution than an engine problem!
Pete
Advanced Member

Postby John » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:41 pm

Do you have to pay for a permit to use ullswater ?
John

Boat Make: 320(Jago)-cheapie sib !!
Outboard: F9.9 JMHS YAMAHA
MMSI Number: 10

Postby Paul B » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:50 pm

John wrote:Do you have to pay for a permit to use ullswater ?

No. It's free to use,
Chief Cook and Bottle washer
TRALEE BAY FISH N CHIPS

Honwave T32ie Suzuki DF 9.9 (15hp) conversion
Scooter perception kayak
Gosea fishing kayak
Paul B
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Honwave 3.2ie
Outboard: Suzuki df9.9 (15hpconversion)

Postby Andy B » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi Pete,
You didn't have the choke open the full time did you?
Just a thought.
SOLENT
Waveline 2.3m/3.3hp Mariner
Zodiac 380/Yamaha F8, Mariner 9.9 smoker
Andy B
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !

Boat Make: Zodiac 380
Outboard: Mariner 9.9hp/Yamaha 8hp/Mariner 3.3hp

Next

Return to General Chat