Newbie from East Yorkshire

New to the forum?? Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about your boating interests/experiences or any other hobbies you may have.
Tinbox
I'm New
Boat Make: Aquaparx 330
Outboard: Hangkai 3.6hp
MMSI Number: 10

Re: Newbie from East Yorkshire

Post by Tinbox » 08 Nov 2017, 18:38

Thanks Jeff

I'm about 90 minutes from Whitby, given what other members have said am I likely to have any problems with the tide? Taking on board what has been said I have definitely ruled out any trips to sea before I've got a few hours under my belt on rivers. Is the slipway you mention easy to access, is there parking nearby?

Jeff Stevens 763
Boat Make: Mercury 365 HD xs
Outboard: Suzuki Df 25 4 st
Has thanked: 0

Post by Jeff Stevens 763 » 08 Nov 2017, 20:23

Tinbox wrote:Thanks Jeff

I'm about 90 minutes from Whitby, given what other members have said am I likely to have any problems with the tide? Taking on board what has been said I have definitely ruled out any trips to sea before I've got a few hours under my belt on rivers. Is the slipway you mention easy to access, is there parking nearby?
The slipway is accessible 3 hours each side of high tide on springs it drops off at the end into deep mud so go on neeps to start with until you get your self into it you pay launch fees which pays for car parking next to the slip, water there for washing the boat too. The river is quite wide so no probs with other boats. Some fishing near the pier but keep an eye out for boats.if it's flat calm you can go out the entrance a reef starboard side going out about a mile. To port a long beach to sands end fishing off there to. You can also launch at sands end a slipway there too but the tide goes out a fair way. Further up the coast skinningrove beach launch I know Sib'S go off there.
Now a bit of advice your boat with 3.5 hp is really a tender ok on some rivers you will be alright at Whitby though in the river unless it's in flood there are web cams in the harbour and one at weedale hotel which looks out over the beach to sands end so you can see the surf. If I were you I would get an engine to the max of your boat not knowing the boat but maybe 10-15 hp still manageable but it will give you more scope. But get your sea legs first before you buy.get to know the angling shops they will tell what the sea state is too rods and reels use to be there not sure now.if you do go up and not sure if it calm enough or it's too much for you the brave man says no the fool says yes, take your beach gear the days not lost then. I found that the best fishing was on a flood tide it goes dead on the ebb now I am no fisherman just a dangler put some places seem to fish ebb and flood. When you do venture out in calm weather there's some very good fishing off the 20 m shelf off the cliffs at robinhood so bay about half a mile out.
I ve gone on a bit but it's info for all as well, hope that helps be safe and make sure you have all the safety kit with you.

Cheers
These users thanked the author Jeff Stevens 763 for the post:
Tinbox (08 Nov 2017, 20:27)

Tinbox
I'm New

Post by Tinbox » 08 Nov 2017, 20:33

Jeff,
This is just the stuff I need to know. I think I'll have a drive up to Whitby in the next couple of weeks, without the boat but just to familiarise myself with the locations you mention around the slipway. I'll also call in at the local tackle shops. It's a while since I was up there but if I recall there was two tackle shops. My boat is rated upto 15hp and I'm already thinking my current engine is OK for me to get to grips with boat handling, but I'm going to need something with a bit more punch before I venture out to see. Thanks for the advice mate

PaulR
Boat Make: FRib 360
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp

Post by PaulR » 08 Nov 2017, 21:50

Hi Tinbox
Welcome, where on the east coast are you? I only joined a few days ago and found a lot of helpful advice already. I haven't bought my boat yet but will be doing in the very near future. I have just bought a touring caravan and have sited it in Brid for next year so will be getting plenty of boat time from the launch at southshore. Maybe meet up one weekend if you are not too far away.

Tinbox
I'm New

Post by Tinbox » 08 Nov 2017, 22:02

Sounds like a plan!! I agree everyone that has replied to me so far have all been very friendly and informative. I've looked at the rules for launching from East Yorkshire beaches and it seems like they don't allow launching from anywhere but approved sites like Hornsea and as you say Bridlington. Thanks for getting in touch

Martin England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Post by Martin » 08 Nov 2017, 22:23

Hi Tinbox, welcome aboard our little - but friendly forum :wavey

If you fancy a bit of a day out trialing the boat and outboard , have you thought about sticking the boat in a puddle, why not try the lakes?
Ullswater isn’t a million miles away, it can get choppy and blowy up there which will give you a feel of something sea like to a degree.
£4 (I think) to park & launch, you’ll get a bit of a feel of beach launching. A great wake off the passenger steamer to chuck you about a bit and generally a good wind howling down the lake.

It’s not perfect but it may be an ideal starting point. Just a thought :LMT
These users thanked the author Martin for the post:
Tinbox (09 Nov 2017, 06:20)
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Post by Paul » 08 Nov 2017, 22:32

Hi there Tinbox and :welcome to the forum

All good and sound advice given above ;-) so take you time settling in with your setup, learning how it handles and what it's capable of :thumbsup
It's always good to go boating in company regardless of anyones boating experience IMO .... safety in numbers after all :idea:
Have a great maiden voyage :drive and we love folks to report back on how they got on, especially with photos ohyeh
Good to have you aboard and enjoy your boating :!:
:cheers
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
Tinbox (09 Nov 2017, 06:18)

Tinbox
I'm New

Post by Tinbox » 09 Nov 2017, 07:48

A big thank you to everyone who has made contact so far. The warm welcome and sound advice are much appreciated. I'm not sure if I should start a new thread in a different forum with this next bit, but I'll run it past you here and please let me know if I'm in the wrong section.
Taking on board all the advice has caused me to come at 'getting started' with my new outfit from a completely different angle. I'm now looking at starting on an inland waterway and as I have relatives who live virtually next door to the Fossdyke Navigation in Saxilby Lincolnshire I thought this maybe a good place to try my first launch and practice with the outfit. Has anyone used the Fossdyke navigation and what are your thoughts on it as a starting point.
I've been on the Rivers & Canals Trust web page and I would need a permit but that can all be done online. Thanks again to everyone who's been in contact and I welcome your thoughts on the above.
These users thanked the author Tinbox for the post (total 2):
Paul (09 Nov 2017, 21:56) • The Hobbit (11 Nov 2017, 21:46)

Steve Great Britain
Veteran Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: Suzuki DF20AS
Yamaha F6CMHS
MMSI Number: 235902190

Post by Steve » 09 Nov 2017, 08:46

Hi Tinbox and :welcome

Launching into non-tidal waters sounds like good safe advice to start. Make sure you have some sort of method of calling for help whilst you’re out. Then have fun experimenting with your setup.

Good luck with your new purchase - hope you enjoy it!

:cheers

Steve
These users thanked the author Steve for the post:
Tinbox (09 Nov 2017, 15:23)

Si Crowe Great Britain
Veteran Member
Boat Make: DS110, Seago 240 Airdeck
Outboard: 2xPerkins Sabres 225HP, 5HP Mariner 2Stroke

Post by Si Crowe » 09 Nov 2017, 09:48

Tinbox wrote:A big thank you to everyone who has made contact so far. The warm welcome and sound advice are much appreciated. I'm not sure if I should start a new thread in a different forum with this next bit, but I'll run it past you here and please let me know if I'm in the wrong section.
Taking on board all the advice has caused me to come at 'getting started' with my new outfit from a completely different angle. I'm now looking at starting on an inland waterway and as I have relatives who live virtually next door to the Fossdyke Navigation in Saxilby Lincolnshire I thought this maybe a good place to try my first launch and practice with the outfit. Has anyone used the Fossdyke navigation and what are your thoughts on it as a starting point.
I've been on the Rivers & Canals Trust web page and I would need a permit but that can all be done online. Thanks again to everyone who's been in contact and I welcome your thoughts on the above.
where are you located? i'd be more than happy to help you if you wanted. i live in Thorne (donny) but I'm up on the Ouse all the time.
These users thanked the author Si Crowe for the post (total 3):
Martin (09 Nov 2017, 09:49) • Tinbox (09 Nov 2017, 15:28) • Paul (09 Nov 2017, 21:56)
If it has t*ts, tyres or floats......it's gonna cost ya!

Return to “Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER”