F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - Hello, gonna start kayaking

Hello, gonna start kayaking

New to the forum, Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about what your boating interests are and any other hobbies for that matter.

Hello, gonna start kayaking

Postby Alakey » 08 Nov 2017, 10:29

Hello everyone, my name is Alex. Recently a childhood friend invited me to celebrate his birthday on the river bank, we went with tents for a few days. He also had a kayak in the trailer for 2 seats and I suddenly liked very much to boat on it. so I want to buy myself one too and start practicing regularly.
Alakey
I'm New

Boat Make: Looking for my first
MMSI Number: 10

Re: Hello, gonna start kayaking

Postby Paul B » 08 Nov 2017, 10:47

Hi Alex. And welcome to the forum :welcome We aren’t really a forum for kayaking, but do have quite a few members who have them, myself I have 2 sit on type plastic kayaks. , I don’t particilaly like the inflatable ones due to steering issues etc, but others do like them
Chief Cook and Bottle washer
TRALEE BAY FISH N CHIPS

Honwave T38ie2 Suzuki DF 9.9 (15hp) conversion
Scooter perception kayak
Gosea fishing kayak
Paul B
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Honwave T38ie2
Outboard: Suzuki df9.9 (15hpconversion)
MMSI Number: 0

Postby PaulR » 08 Nov 2017, 10:53

Welcome to the forum Alex, I have only just joined myself. You will find the people on here very friendly and helpful. Have fun.
PaulR
Supporting Member

Boat Make: FRib 360
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp

Postby Si Crowe » 08 Nov 2017, 11:30

Ello and welcome.

Kayaks are not huge on the forum but in my limited experience of them (both hard and inflatable) and id personally go with a hard sit on type. mainly for ease of use, stability. the inflatable one are getting better but are harder to steer straight.

it's more a question of budget. a cheapo blow up can be had for next to nowt but... will be made out of cheap thin pvc that can rupture easily. a good blow up (£250+) is a good bet but for similar money you are now in "hard" kayak land which will last and age, take some abuse but is harder to store and transport without a roof rack....plus when you upgrade will retain a bit more value.

to start, id go with a 2nd hand hard sit on and go from there...
If it has t*ts, tyres or floats......it's gonna cost ya!
Si Crowe
Veteran Member

Boat Make: DS110, Seago 240 Airdeck
Outboard: 2xPerkins Sabres 225HP, 5HP Mariner 2Stroke
MMSI Number: 0

Postby Martin » 08 Nov 2017, 11:36

Hi Alex, Welcome to f-ribs & sibs..
As PaulB mentioned, we aren’t particularly a kayak forum.. however, you’ve picked a great place to join due to the amount of kayak owners / ex owners on here!!
Information overload is available and we welcome you regardless of what craft you own.
We have paddle board to sail boat and large power boat owners on here.

Enjoy the forum and make yourself at home

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:
Martin
Supporting Member

Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Postby Steve » 08 Nov 2017, 12:28

Hi Alex and :welcome

There's some great info on here for all sorts of craft - hope you get the info you need.

I'm a big fan of our Advanced Elements inflatable kayaks - we have two and they are 4 years old. They are very sturdy, very stable, very comfy, fairly quick, and very well made. They have an integral skeg, so track true, and now there are lots of different versions to choose from. They are definitely not a budget option though...

I'm actually keeping an eye out for a sit-on plastic kayak for myself, with a view to putting it on the roof rack, taking it fishing locally. I don't really need one, as I could do this with the AE kayak. But as that's a covered kayak, I thought that an open one would be more useful for fishing. Also a plastic one would allow fishing rod holders to be mounted, etc.

The reason we went for inflatables were due to the main negatives of a hard shell, namely: transportation (especially when you want to put bikes on the roof rack) and storage. At the time I had no interest in fishing, so it was purely for fun / exploring / exercise.

I guess your purchase will depend on what you want to achieve with it; but I totally rate our inflatables. Second hand would be worth a look - there were some ex-hire sit-ons for sale from The Lake District on Gumtree...

The vet nearby has a Hobie kayak which has outriggers, a sail and duck's feet flippers. It's amazing and really fast. Look those up if you want a shock at their cost!

Good luck!

Steve
Steve
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: Suzuki DF20AS
MMSI Number: 235902190

Postby Alakey » 08 Nov 2017, 12:51

So many answers, so fast! :thumbsup Hi all again, and TY for your replies! Budget is gonna be about 200£, but it is only for kayak, also have about 200 for all kind of equipment I may need. I`ve got a car with capacious trunk, as well as an external trunk.
Alakey
I'm New

Boat Make: Looking for my first

Postby Paul » 08 Nov 2017, 23:01

Hi Alex and :welcome to the forum
You'll not be short of some answers to your questions I'm sure as we've plenty of kayakers on here including some that run their own blogs/forums about them :idea:
We're a friendly bunch regardless of your type of craft so join in with the :chat
Good to have you aboard
:cheers
I walked through the door marked 'EXIT' and life is now good!
Paul
Supporting Member

Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479

Return to Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER