F-Ribs And Sibs.Com • View topic - Adding a seat

Adding a seat

A sib is a soft floor inflatable boat (SIB) that will roll up and fit into a bag to ease with carrying or storage.
There are many different manufacturers and floor designs to suit your needs.

Adding a seat

Postby Speedo » 16 May 2018, 12:50

Hi,

I've bought an additional seat to add to my T32 Honwave.

Does anyone have any tips on how to work out where to glue the straps before I mess this up please.....fully inflated, deflated etc.??????

Has anyone done this?

Thanks.
Speedo

Boat Make: Honwave T32
Outboard: Johnson 5hp 2 stroke
MMSI Number: 10

Re: Adding a seat

Postby Froglet » 17 May 2018, 06:58

I must be missing something. I posted the following in reply to your thread under the Honwave folder above, but it doesn't show here. So.... quoted for simplicity.

Should be able to see the pictures here: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=2561&p=28466#p28466

Froglet wrote:Hi Speedo

I'm far from an expert, but I have recently done this to my T38 so I'll chip in.

I looked at past threads on here and settled on the recommended 2 part PVC glue from Polymarine. I picked up some MEK from eBay and waited for a nice warm day with low humidity. I fully inflated the boat and decided on position partly by looking at Google images of other T38 boats with a second set of straps already installed, and partly by resting the new seat on the tubes and sitting on it to make sure it was comfortable to reach the tiller.

I marked the final position of the strap patches with a sharpie because I figured that any left visible would easily wipe away with a little MEK. I found that masking tape wasn't keen to stick and stay stuck, but I slapped on loads to avoid spilling MEK and glue where it wasn't meant to go. Could have just been rubbish masking tape though.

I Made up the whole tin of glue (250ml) to guarantee the proportions which is a bit of a waste, but I wanted the bond to be as secure as possible and (touch wood) don't think I'll be needing more glue too soon.

Left the patches to cure for a week before straining them, but you can probably get away with a lot less in warm weather.

One thing that interested me was that when I let some air out of the tubes a day later the air smelled strongly of the solvent so it clearly evaporates off into the tubes as well as into the atmosphere. Not a job to attempted in the living room I think.

Patch1.jpg

Patch2.jpg

And so far so good. I spent the entire day on the Thames yesterday sitting on the seat with no comedy ripping noises.

Cheers

Simon
Froglet
I'm New

Boat Make: Honwave T38 ie1
Outboard: Mariner Marathon 25hp

Re: Adding a seat

Postby Speedo » 17 May 2018, 12:57

No I think it's me messing it up!!! i posted it initially in the Honwave section, then thought that maybe someone with a different boat might have done the job too but wouldn't see it there, so I posted it in the main forum too!!! :oops:
Speedo

Boat Make: Honwave T32
Outboard: Johnson 5hp 2 stroke

Return to SIB - Soft Inflatable Boat